NGS not updating the database?

cesariojpn

I noticed that several marks that I found haven't been updated in the NGS database, and it's either at 30 days, or over 30 days. What gives?

For example: I found this, and the datasheet hasn't been updated.

Found, and http://not updated.

The longest is this one: Found in poor condition several months ago, still no notation of it.

The odd this is, a marker that I found yet not reported to Waymarking had it's BM updated within a few days of me reporting it!!

Edited by cesariojpn

It's been reported elsewhere here that NGS uploads have been spotty lately. Interestingly, the last example you linked to (TU0858) has an incorrect recovery - the reset disk is a different disk altogether, so J 22 is 'Not Found'.

Wait, reset disks are considered to be "not recovered?"

What Ernmark is stating, is that TU0858/J22 is NOT the same as the reset disk.

When a disk is reset, it should get an entire new PID. Sometimes a reset takes the place of the old mark that was destroyed/moved, sometimes it even uses the same disk, but the mark gets the word reset stamped on it. Once it's reset, then it is supposed to get a new PID and new datasheet........even if reusing the same disk.

EX: You might have a mark that was monumented in 1910, but was reset in 1970. The new marks datasheet (and new PID) will say it was monumented in 1970........not 1910. The mark also should have the word 'reset' in it's designation. Here's an example of a reset I found recently:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=CQ0772

Here is the NGS procedures for resetting disks, and the vertical accuracy of using reset's. It explains it better.

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/heightmod/Leveling/Manuals/Benchmark_9_13_07.pdf

It appears you submitted a recovery report for TU0858 (which is not the PID for the reset). I glanced at DSWorld and do not see a PID for the reset disk, so it may have not been bluebooked with the NGS.

Ernmark states you should have submitted a "not found" report for PID TU0858....cause you didn't find that one. You found the reset.

You found J22 Reset from the year 2000, which is really not J22 from the year 1979......even if the same disk was reused, because its most likely been moved and the values will be different.

If there is no PID for the reset disk you found, then you can't log it with the NGS (unless there has been some kind of error). You can log it on Waymarking though.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news......but at least you know now.

Maybe our resident ninja, DaveD, will see this forum and fix the datasheet for TU0858. He may want to keep your info there, as it shows any future seekers, that there is a reset in place now....and the published values would not be accurate for it.

Edited by LSUFan

The odd this is, a marker that I found yet not reported to Waymarking had it's BM updated within a few days of me reporting it!!

Are you reporting these to the NGS? If so, just curious, but why are you using the 'Individual Contributor' instead of 'Geocaching'?

--Me.

Most of the BM's i've found aren't in the Geocaching outdated database (using primarily the Scaredy Cat Film BM Viewer to find the ones not listed by Geocaching). So, I don't think i'd be justified in reporting that I found the mark via Geocaching. And to be honest, i've gone to that as default with BM's that i've found via Geocaching via force of habit.

So, I don't think i'd be justified in reporting that I found the mark via Geocaching. And to be honest, i've gone to that as default with BM's that i've found via Geocaching via force of habit.

I can understand your logic there. It's your call. However, if you do use the GEOCAC option as the reporting agency on your NGS recovery reports, it makes it easier for Holograph to keep a record of your recoveries for his map/statistics pages. His software parses for the term 'GEOCAC' as the reporting agency.

Of course, that aspect may be of no interest to you.....but to some of us (I'm guilty), it's fun to see the maps colored in.

If you are still curious about reset marks........Last year, I actually asked a forum question about some reset marks, where the original marks were still in place just a few feet away. This is where I learned about these kind of marks, and what got my curiosity up to do research on the type.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=266800&st=0&p=4581989&fromsearch=1entry4581989

Most of the BM's i've found aren't in the Geocaching outdated database (using primarily the Scaredy Cat Film BM Viewer to find the ones not listed by Geocaching). So, I don't think i'd be justified in reporting that I found the mark via Geocaching. And to be honest, i've gone to that as default with BM's that i've found via Geocaching via force of habit.

GEOCAC is just another 'agency' listed in the NGS database like State Highway Departments, State Geodetic Survey, US Power Squadron, etc. GEOCAC was set up for 'us' as a group to submit our findings, and, as stated, individually we can be identified in www.holoscenes.com if you like to keep track.

PS - we don't mention it a lot here, but there are other cool things if you poke around the site - including a BM Wiki!