geocaching.com Moble site features list

Mike & Jess

I did not know this until my wife pointed it out last night during our drive home.

If you go to the Geocaching.com on your phone (GPS enabled), thre is a link near the bottom left which allows you to "Find My Location" and search geocaches near you.

Are there any other features that are available via moble phone besides this neat feature?

You can log your find, enter new co-ordinates for multi caches,search for trackables, save cache co-ordinates and info for off line use, and a host of other features such as advanced searches and pocket queries. Each new page that you activate will give you some more options like giving a name to each cache on your saved list.

I have to point out the obvious here. The mobile site is the exact same as the normal one. You are viewing the same pages with the same options and features. You can do everything using your phone that you can using a desktop computer-some phones may limit certain feature such as drop down menus though.. I believe the find my location uses your ISP address and service provider info and all that fun stuff to give a relative location. If you want mobile specific features, use the official paid app.

Edited by T.D.M.22

There is also this one: http://wap.geocaching.com/

That site is a laugh. A poor excuse for a mobile site. What we need is a REAL m.geocaching.com !

Actually it does what it is supposed to do. Many years ago, back before the iphone and android, and before 3G and 4G we had slower network access to websites (edge or older?) Many companies provided wap sites that were devoid of graphics and other multimedia elements in order to provide basic information to more primitive phones at the time.

I think the wap does are long over, but the wap.geocaching.com portal still exists and is probably seldom used.

Companies now make either native apps, mobile optimized web sites, or both. Groundspeak seems more interested in making native apps, which for geocaching purposes, is better than a mobile optimized web site (ala jquery mobile.)

For example, I have a mobile site for Waymarking:

http://www.chilehead.us/wm

that is a mobile view into the normal Waymarking site. The advantage to such a site is that there is no software to download on a phone, and the same mobile site works for android or iphone. The disadvantage is that you need to be online, which is a big negative for many geocachers if you are out of urban areas.

So while a mobile geocaching site would be nice, I'd rather see Groundspeak continue expanding features on their native apps, as the native apps I can use in both an online and offline mode.