Corrected Coordinates Reflected on map?

macca21

Hi All,

I have been caching for some time now and there are many puzzle caches I have solved but not yet got around to going to find. I forget about the location of these caches even when I have the coords because they are not represented on the Geocaching map on the web so when I am planning a caching trip out I often visit areas near where I could get a puzzle cache but just forget as I do not realise how close one is to where I am visiting.

So here is my suggestion. When a user inputs their corrected coordinates (regardless of whether they are correct) a green ? icon appears on the map at that location. This would be saved with a users account so the icon would appear no matter where and when the user signed in. This would make it a lot easier for many people.

Untitled-1.jpg

So come on guys, do you agree? is this something the powers that be should implement? if we can make this topic huge something might actually happen........

They're working on it:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285926

Whatever the icon is that indicates corrected coordinates, it needs to work for all types of caches. Right now, corrected coordinates are supported only for mystery/puzzle caches and multi-caches, but eventually they'll be supported for other cache types as well. Perhaps a green check mark in front of the normal icon (whatever that is) would work.

An added checkmark would be better in my eyes than a change in color. Some people print out maps in B/W. That would make it difficult to distinguish green and blue.

Corrected Coordinates have some more problems at the moment. I.e. when you search a Mystery with the android Groundspeak app (based on a PQ import) and you choose to "live" refresh that cache to see its current status or newer logs, the custom coords are gone (just in the app).

Also it would be even better to have a waypoint editor to keep stations of i.e. half-solved multis for the record.

There are utilities which can handle this better (like GCTour for tour planning, GSAK, GAPP or GeoGet and more for handling coords, map display and waypoints). But it would be great to have such basic functions on the site itself.

Edited by SKAMS

I'm asking myself what's so complicated to implement this feature?

If the database model is designed well, the solution should be a simple change in the SQL statement of the database query.

The standard map is showing my hides and founds, so it should be not a big thing to show my corrected coordinates of solved puzzles.

I would also like to see this feature implemented. I like to survey the map of the area I'll be caching before I go out, to sort of mentally plan my route around the area. It would be nice to see where my "solved" caches are in relation to the area I'll be in and the other caches I'm seeking that day.

I'm asking myself what's so complicated to implement this feature?

If the database model is designed well, the solution should be a simple change in the SQL statement of the database query.

The standard map is showing my hides and founds, so it should be not a big thing to show my corrected coordinates of solved puzzles.

Found/not found statuses are boolean and only change which icon that gets shown.

To query every visible cache then relocate its icon each time you move/zoom the map is probably computationally intensive.

Maybe the same issues that prevent updated coordinates from being passed through to the API also would affect this?

Found/not found statuses are boolean and only change which icon that gets shown.

To query every visible cache then relocate its icon each time you move/zoom the map is probably computationally intensive.

Maybe the same issues that prevent updated coordinates from being passed through to the API also would affect this?

That's not really as complicated as it seems.

Just a little change in the SQL should bring the corrected coordinates:

SELECT COALESCE(CORRECTED_COORD_FIELD, ORIGINAL_COORDS_FIELD) AS COORDS FROM TABLE_XYZ

And changing the icon to e.g. a green questionmark should be as easy.

BTW: I havn't used the API for a long time, but I'm sure I got the corrected coords when I used the API for the last time.