Power trail lists?

CacheCounter305

You could always just use the google maps to find the power trails. Zoom out a bit and move around it shouldn't be too hard to spot a solid line of icons in a line normally in the middle of nowhere.

As to making one decide how many caches you want in it. Collect a whole pile of (normally) small containers, try and have some variety of size and shape. Prep them all with log books rather than folded sheets of A4 that won't last long. It is quite easy to turn one A4 sheet of paper into a small log book that will last longer. Print of and laminate the 'You have found a geocache note' for those caches bigger than a nano that can fit one. I do mine double sided, half message on one side half on the other so they are small enough to fit in the lid of 200ml containers that are a common hide here in New Zealand.

Next look at your map again to find an area without any caches where there is a road or walking track on which you can place a cache every 161m (sorry can't remember how many feet that is). If I was do one I wouldn't find a row of power polls and make each cache exactly the same size and hide location on each pole, but that's me. A mixture of bushes, fence posts, power polls, rocks etc can make a power trail a bit more interesting and make the hunter earn their smilies.

If you take the containers out unnumbered or labeled it would be easy enough at each site to pick the best shape and size for the hide.

Good luck I have a power trail of 80 near home I am saving for a day when I can go out with another cacher/s and make it more fun. Add a bit of competition to it to see who from the group can retrieve the most caches.

Does someone somewhere out there have a list of power trails or have an idea of how I could create one?

Open a cache page, any one will do.

Scroll down a bit, until you see the second map on the right.

Click on 'View Larger Map'.

Once the map opens, scroll it around and zoom it in and out. As you move the focus of the map, you will soon see long green lines of caches. These are your powertrails. You may also eventually see Kokopelli, a locomotive, an alien face, a smiley face, Snoopy, a jet fighter plane and Buddha knows what else...probably pink elephants before you are through! :unsure:

Here's one I found just by looking at the bookmark lists for 0001-E.T.

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=4665d982-2520-4807-96d7-eeb2b133a744

A nice list, but far from comprehensive to be sure!

NONE of the dozen (or more) Arizona powertrails are on it. :mad:

:lol:

There are no "official" lists. If you go to a cache on a power trail in your area and look in the right sidebar, there might be a public list someone has made, showing power trails in your area. But those are made and maintained on a completely volunteer basis by a premium member, and may not exist or may not be current.

Yes, where can I find a list of power trails in my area? So I can put them all on "Ignore"......

^ ^ ^

This

I have no interest in most power trails, the ones that involve no actual geocaching skills and simply require you to stop, grab, sign, drive, stop, grab, sign, drive.... That's a completely different game from the one I signed up for. As far as I'm concerned, these power trails simply clog up my pocket queries. I'll add my vote for a way to ignore them en masse.

If the method also helps cachers who enjoy these things to find them, that's fine, too.

--Larry

A reminder that this thread is posted in the "How do I...?" forum. People just wanted help with finding lists, not a substantive debate about the pros and cons of power trails. Thanks.

Fair enough. Sorry for derailing the conversation. Actually, there is one power trail not far from me, and I'm considering doing it one day just strictly so I can say I've tried it.