Simon Mayo (Radio 2)

GAZ

Anyone else hear a bit on geocaching on Simon Mayo's drivetime prog on Radio 2 this evening? Turns out he had a go at the weekend, and loved it!

Yep heard it came across rather well I would say. Loved the follow up someone emailed or texted "Simon your not supposed to tell everyone"

Team Kona had a text read out after the item had aired.

Yes, I heard that bit. They mentioned that they had just retrieved a cache from next to the Trevi Fountain.

Someone also e-mailed in and said that they had just logged on to Geocaching.com and found that there was a cache 10 metres from the back of their house that they never knew about.

Yes, I heard that bit. They mentioned that they had just retrieved a cache from next to the Trevi Fountain.

Someone also e-mailed in and said that they had just logged on to Geocaching.com and found that there was a cache 10 metres from the back of their house that they never knew about.

He doesn't seem to have logged the cache as a find [presume he is talking about the Rome Trevi fountain ?

He doesn't seem to have logged the cache as a find [presume he is talking about the Rome Trevi fountain ?

Fontana Di Trevi logged 17/10 according to my quick research?

Ok , i'm being thick here, So what was his caching name ?

Original post referred to a w.e find.

Simon probably has no account..

Liked the section he did on caching.. very good

We could do with more positive reports like this.. :blink:

Simon probably has no account..

Liked the section he did on caching.. very good

We could do with more positive reports like this.. :blink:

I think we were talking at cross purposes. I was specifically talking about Team KONA (who are local cachers to me and Simplysup) who had a message read out by Simon Mayo about retrieving a cache at the Trevi Fountain. I think you thought that this is where Simon Mayo had been caching.

Simon Mayo certainly seemed genuinely interested and certainly all his team were extremely positive so maybe he will set up an account and come on the forums?

I also heard the message from a caller 'Shhhhh its all meant to be a secret'. I wonder how many cachers (especially some of the very longstanding brigade) agree with that sentiment when Geocaching gets this type of media spotlight.

Edited by Legochugglers

I also heard the message from a caller 'Shhhhh its all meant to be a secret'. I wonder how many cachers (especially some of the very longstanding brigade) agree with that sentiment when Geocaching gets this type of media spotlight.

That's what I was refering to but didn't get the quote bang on! As a newcomer I'm guessing the "very longstanding brigade" were/are? covert and very undercover where as now I'm guessing people are quite happy to share the activity they are engaged in.

Off topic but just to gauge opinion while on the matter, while caching in Weymouth in the summer (if you could call it that) 3 of us were after 'arbour View' GC2FRM9 when we obviously raised suspision a resident came out and asked us if everything was alright, the cache was missing but we didn't know that at he time, So I just came clean and told him what we were doing. I showed him the GPS to prove as much and the chap seemed rather relevied to know the actual reason then said his neighbour had called him to alert him as she lived on her own and after others acting like we did she would be also glad to know the reason. Did I do the right thing?

That's what I was refering to but didn't get the quote bang on! As a newcomer I'm guessing the "very longstanding brigade" were/are? covert and very undercover where as now I'm guessing people are quite happy to share the activity they are engaged in.

Off topic but just to gauge opinion while on the matter, while caching in Weymouth in the summer (if you could call it that) 3 of us were after 'arbour View' GC2FRM9 when we obviously raised suspision a resident came out and asked us if everything was alright, the cache was missing but we didn't know that at he time, So I just came clean and told him what we were doing. I showed him the GPS to prove as much and the chap seemed rather relevied to know the actual reason then said his neighbour had called him to alert him as she lived on her own and after others acting like we did she would be also glad to know the reason. Did I do the right thing?

On the 1st point, yeah, earlier on I liked the anonymity of it all.....there were only 57 caches hidden in the WHOLE of the UK when I started way back in 2001!

And on the 2nd point....most definitely yes....far better to be upfront and explain, especially if there are locals worried about people looking, well, dodgy....I suppose!

Simon Mayo tweeted last weekend he was spending the day geocaching ...

He said on the show that he and his family went caching with Nigel Barden (the Thursday drivetime show guest chef type person) and his family. Maybe Nigel has a geocaching account and invited Simon Mayo along?

I think we were talking at cross purposes. I was specifically talking about Team KONA (who are local cachers to me and Simplysup) who had a message read out by Simon Mayo about retrieving a cache at the Trevi Fountain. I think you thought that this is where Simon Mayo had been caching.

Simon Mayo certainly seemed genuinely interested and certainly all his team were extremely positive so maybe he will set up an account and come on the forums?

Mmm Dont think I misquoted..

I know I'm not one of the "Longstanding Brigade" as I've only been caching since the beginning of 2005 :rolleyes:

Anyone else hear a bit on geocaching on Simon Mayo's drivetime prog on Radio 2 this evening? Turns out he had a go at the weekend, and loved it!

I heard the podcast! That's partly why I'm here now! I love the idea of geocaching, altho my first hunt was a disaster. Looking for some more tomorrow, a bit more hopeful and already really excited about placing some of my own, so have been looking up tips and what people like and what not.

Also I think a month or two ago someone wrote in to the Kermode and Mayo Film Review about geocaching, something about wanting a signed picture to put in a cache, did anyone hear that one? I didn't really know what GC was at the time, so I may be mis-remembering.

I heard the podcast! That's partly why I'm here now! I love the idea of geocaching, altho my first hunt was a disaster. Looking for some more tomorrow, a bit more hopeful and already really excited about placing some of my own, so have been looking up tips and what people like and what not.

Also I think a month or two ago someone wrote in to the Kermode and Mayo Film Review about geocaching, something about wanting a signed picture to put in a cache, did anyone hear that one? I didn't really know what GC was at the time, so I may be mis-remembering.

Welcome to the hobby/obsession that is Geocaching! Only tip I can give is find plenty before hiding any.....that will give you an idea of what is required....remembering that permission is needed from the landowner where you intend to hide one.

Above all, have fun!

Welcome to the hobby/obsession that is Geocaching! Only tip I can give is find plenty before hiding any.....that will give you an idea of what is required....remembering that permission is needed from the landowner where you intend to hide one.

Above all, have fun!

Permission - What's that then ? I thought all you go is get a film cannister and throw it into a hedge... :D