How to contact another geocacher who is not a "validated member"

timbee&suebee

While visiting New England in August we dropped one of our travel bugs in a cache in Rhode Island. After a month of sitting there, it was logged as being picked up. The cacher who logged that he found our trackable originally stated that he found it before we even dropped it (looks like he has changed that now though)and wrote something else odd in his log too so we wanted to contact him to find out what was going on. When we went to his profile page his status was listed as "Not Validated Member" and under email address it says "The "send message" feature is disabled because this email address has not been validated by the user." Since he is only listed as having 6 finds (though I only see 4 caches that listed as found) we thought he might be such a newbie that he had not had a chance to validate so we waited for a few weeks before checking in again. But his profile page status still remains the same and we have no way to contact him to find out what he has done with our trackable. We saw that he took a photo of our trackable and posted it in his "found" log. And he knew enough to log it into the trackables page though his comment there made it sound like he traded it for swag he dropped. My husband is kind of bummed about this because it's his first trackable and it's the first cache he dropped it in and it dissappeared right away.

So my question is: Is there a way to contact someone who isn't validated?

I don't think so.

I had a look at your trackables list and found the one you're referring to. I see who has it. Sometimes you can get in contact with a new cacher by looking at their finds and seeing if they went caching with some other cacher when they started out.

In this case it looks like they started off caching on their own: Looking at the logs for 17th/18th August shows that it's a young girl.

Tough one. :(

MrsB

Yes... I went back and looked at some of the logs for the four caches they showed finds for. They are very odd. Made me wonder who is monitoring this person when they are on the computer.

Three of the 6 finds are on Schofield Farm... did you check out the photo in detail... MTag is clearly in view ( all of it).

Must have been close by to go at least twice maybe 3 times. Didn't seem to be with anyone else based on that log, but THEY might have logged on a different date.

Not much to go on, but they did seem enthusiastic about it, so there is hope.

As for contact, you pointed out you can't do it, but GC might have a unvalidated email address that THEY could use in an attempt.

But you would have to convince them. I'm sure hubby understands the reasons why and why not.

As for the trading, maybe not, they say that they left a bag of stuff and took plastic berries... so that might be the trade part.

I get the feeling that they have a rough feel for the game even if it is still inexperienced.

Perhaps deleting the photo of the TB with a note would get their attention since a deletion would generate an auto note (perhaps) to them regardless of validation status? Anyone know about that function? Explain that you welcome an editted version (blurred etc) and why that isn't a good idea the way it is, real friendly though, not angry. Assuming it would either go through or be read at some point if they were showing 'friends' their finds.

Just a few ideas and observations.

Doug 7rxc

Something you can try. On the 9/30 log, delete the image. When you do so you are asked for the reason why you are deleting it. This is sent to the person that posted the log. Instead of the actual reason you can type a message asking them to contact you, or move the bug, etc. Presuming that they provided a valid address, they just may receive the message. It's any of our guess if GC will actually send mail to an address that has not been validated. I'm guessing not but it's worth a try. You want that image gone anyway.

Greetings from Providence! I'm sorry to hear of your trouble with this trackable and given the evidence that it's a child who has it, I'm thinking you might want to write it off.

That said, if you can delete the picture with the tracking code, I'll be happy to release a proxy for you. I've got a bunch of handmade, blank geocoins whose design has already been approved by Groundspeak. If you're interested, take a look at this picture, pick a design*, and drop me a line.

*sorry, I'm out of turtles.

Yes... I went back and looked at some of the logs for the four caches they showed finds for. They are very odd. Made me wonder who is monitoring this person when they are on the computer.

That's the trouble. They are not on a computer. They're doing this all on a smartphone. That's why they supposedly have never visited the website. And obviously they never answered the validation email. Six finds, by the way, is explained by them double logging two of them, although I haven't looked to see what ones. I tend to think you're out of luck here, even if you tried to contact Groundspeak for help.

That's the trouble. They are not on a computer. They're doing this all on a smartphone. That's why they supposedly have never visited the website. And obviously they never answered the validation email. Six finds, by the way, is explained by them double logging two of them, although I haven't looked to see what ones. I tend to think you're out of luck here, even if you tried to contact Groundspeak for help.

Not quite... One cache has triple found logs as I mentioned in post 5... the cache in question. Another has a NA that the reviewer acknowledges but is waiting for 'more' (better) information.

There is much in the small gallery as well. Someone took a photo, other than the finder.

The screen shots say IPod... as well. Who knows what they use.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Not quite... One cache has triple found logs as I mentioned in post 5... the cache in question. Another has a NA that the reviewer acknowledges but is waiting for 'more' (better) information.

There is much in the small gallery as well. Someone took a photo, other than the finder.

The screen shots say IPod... as well. Who knows what they use.

Doug 7rxc

Ha. I admit to posting before reading your post. But I did see it after. It's not as bad as many "obviously didn't read the thread posts" I've seen over the years. :laughing: You are correct. Could even be an Ipod. Obviously have never answered a validation email. Would Groundspeak give out this unvalidated email address for a missing travel bug? I think they'd be apologetic, but I doubt they would.

Ha. I admit to posting before reading your post. But I did see it after. It's not as bad as many "obviously didn't read the thread posts" I've seen over the years. :laughing: You are correct. Could even be an Ipod. Obviously have never answered a validation email. Would Groundspeak give out this unvalidated email address for a missing travel bug? I think they'd be apologetic, but I doubt they would.

Just gently tugging your chain a bit... I think the suggestion(s) about contacting GC was more about getting THEM to make the contact or just route it through the anonymous service... never about releasing the information.

Not even sure the delete image note would make it either. I was trying also to see if there was a closest found listing, for her, but since I'm not PM I couldn't do so. Anyway lots of suggestions have been made, only time will tell.

Doug 7rxc

Thanks all for your help. I think hubby had to accept that his TB is probably gone. As to contacting GC directly... I half thought of that before posting to this forum but then realized that they would not likely bother for one missing TB. There must be thousands and thousands of missing TBs on the planet. It's not a special circumstance.

Something you can try. On the 9/30 log, delete the image. When you do so you are asked for the reason why you are deleting it. This is sent to the person that posted the log. ...

Doesn't look like I have that option available since I'm not the CO of this particular cache. But I will write to the CO and see if he/she will do it so the tracking number is not visible.

Just gently tugging your chain a bit... I think the suggestion(s) about contacting GC was more about getting THEM to make the contact or just route it through the anonymous service... never about releasing the information.

Not even sure the delete image note would make it either. I was trying also to see if there was a closest found listing, for her, but since I'm not PM I couldn't do so. Anyway lots of suggestions have been made, only time will tell.

Doug 7rxc

Wow, you have your thinking cap on on this one. You can indeed see the distance to someone's closest find to home (not the cache name, for "privacy" purposes). However, in her case, this info is not given, since she has not entered her home coordinates. Which makes perfect sense, she probably doesn't know them, considering she's probably finding these things with a friggin' Ipod with Google Maps. :)

You know what Timbee and Suebee? She appears to know what a trackable is, and calls it by it's proper name. I think she's going to cache again, and drop it in a cache. She probably isn't going to figure out how to log it, but I'm hopeful she'll drop it in a cache. This is not uncommon for "newbs" as long as travel bugs have existed, even in the olden days.

You know what Timbee and Suebee? She appears to know what a trackable is, and calls it by it's proper name. I think she's going to cache again, and drop it in a cache. She probably isn't going to figure out how to log it, but I'm hopeful she'll drop it in a cache. This is not uncommon for "newbs" as long as travel bugs have existed, even in the olden days.

I think this too, wishful thinking maybe but one of my travel bugs showed back up after not hearing anything for 4 years. On the flip side 2 have gone missing after the first drop. Unfortunately as soon as we let them go, it's up to human nature which pretty much means limbo. Good luck and keep the faith.

Umm, I predict a happy ending here. Is she or a parent reading the forums? I doubt it, but you never know. The TB spoiler pic is gone from the gallery (as well as a couple of the Ipod screen shots), and the "extra" finds on the same cache are gone.

Maybe it was the reviewer involved with the other cache (NA)... They show up here from time to time you know.

It is important to NOT violate the privacy aspects here, they may be intentional or by omission. I don't think that the OP would do that at all just for a TB. On the other hand the chance to use this as an educational tool (and work on improving recovery techniques) is great. A lot of people here are thinking it out and exercising patience / restraint. Agree that someone is involved at a level we are not privy to... be it the photographer, or the new cacher / mentor. As long as some good comes of it, it will be fine for sure. For me, I finally understand a bit more about one NUMB3RS show I watched years back... almost the reverse of what we use sometimes in SAR events. But no firm results to prove it of course. I'll keep that to myself for now, but it makes sense to me.

Hope it all works for everyone!

Doug 7rxc

Something you can try. On the 9/30 log, delete the image. When you do so you are asked for the reason why you are deleting it. This is sent to the person that posted the log. ...

Doesn't look like I have that option available since I'm not the CO of this particular cache. But I will write to the CO and see if he/she will do it so the tracking number is not visible.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were starting the TB in your own cache. That does kind of shoot the idea all to heck.

I think that it's wrong that people who have not validated their accounts can look at and log caches.

I would write to Groundspeak anyway. Their advice in these situations is to email the other user. They gave this user the ability to seek caches and take bugs with no basic contact information, so you can't follow the documented advice on how to deal with this.