acused me of stealing

Is anyone actually reading this thread? I am reading the most ridiculous replies. Okay, one last time for the band wagon jumpers:

1. He was NEVER called a thief

...except by you:

If the cacher wants to log this cache, he can return what he took or pay me for what the cache cost to put together. Once he returns what is not his, he can sign the log and I will be more than happy to let him log the cache.

Perhaps, because the cache owner is a teacher who has a clearer perspective on geocaching and the guidelines, he could offer to take this "student of geocaching" out to geocache from time to time to learn better geocaching habits.

I can understand the anxiety on both sides of this story. Really, I can. The OP should go out and find the new cache and log a "found it" without removing the cache, and putting pen to paper on the logbook. That would be a good lesson, to start with. But to claim, in this forum kurfluffle, that a cache owner can and should delete a log because a cache went missing after the last finder would mean that every previous unverified "found it" on the webpage should be deleted because of the lack of verifiability. Strange logic, that.

Really, it's just a game, and I can't believe it ended up getting to this petty of a level.

1) The cacher is a kid. Though he may have cached with his uncle maybe he still didn't understand everything about the rules including not taking it home to show it off. I would say that was more a compliment.

2) He admitted taking it home here on this forum, not as STEALING, or some kind of vindictive action.

3) He admitted he put it back. You figure if even after having his log deleted and all this posting if he was lying and actually kept it, that he wouldn't want to return it so he wouldn't get accused?

4) How much time past after he said he put it back and you checked to see if it was there?

5) Maybe the cache has moved from the previous time you checked it and the time the kid found it, caches migrate.

6) Again he is a kid, I've seen many kids who do not return email from COs or anyone on GC because maybe they don't know who they are. THEY ARE KIDS.

7) Yes kid cachers should be more supervised.

8) As someone mentioned maybe ask him (with maybe his uncle or dad) to go back with you to show you where he placed it. Did you expand your search to see if it has migrated?

9) I too can be brutal with kid cachers and newbies. But in the end at least they tried.

If you believe he took it, then hmmm yes he did "Found it" just because you don't have the logsheet doesn't mean he didn't sign it.

I had a cache that someone placed another one because they couldn't find mine. Instead of deleting all the logs on the replacement, I asked them to post a find with a message they signed the wrong cache and were given permission to log it. I know this isn't actually the same but it shows you can be an understanding CO.

Edited by jellis

As a cache owner I would have left the log and made the listing PMO. I've lost so many ammo cans and really good containers to newbies and muggles that I seldom will use them any more. And people complain about lack of good swag. I remember how much my kids enjoy swag, but seems that was a part of geocaching back in the day when you could drop a trackable into a geocache and watch it travel and not worry about it going missing. As a cache owner I did not want to go PMO or micro, but due to muggles sometimes it helps. Most of the geocachers that log my listings are PM's anyway and most of us know where the back door is by now. And I have also had issues when my kids post in the forums, that's why they don't post here anymore if I know about it. :laughing:

As most have surmised here you appear to be dealing with a kid or a 'tween. Why do you believe him when he says he took it home but totally dismiss his assertion that he brought it back? From my perspective this makes no sense.

Edited to remove snarky comment.

Cause I assume instead of posting it on the cache page before the log deletion he might have thought you could take it for awhile and bring it back.

Why bother coming on the forum with it. Most kids if that happened would keep logging it back as a find or get even by maybe taking other caches. Why take the time to go on the forum? I believe him

Edited by jellis

I have had several occasions where my caches were damaged, destroyed or otherwise rendered useless by caches and I never deleted their logs. These were accidents. In this case, we have a deliberate action by a cacher, who has cached before with an adult, and should have known better. He removed the cache. The cache is missing. As soon as I see the log book and the cache, I am happy to accept his find. This is a very easy fix and I still cannot fathom why the cacher has not resolved the problem.

I was hoping a moderator could end this particular forum as I do not feel this it is particularly helpful. Currently, its sole purpose it to give cachers a forum to articulate their caching politics. Perhaps a generic post asking "What Would You Do if Someone Intentionally Removed Your Cache" would better serve those who need to weigh in and tell us their philosophy.

Thanks!

It should be the OP that requests closing a thread. But he appears to have lost interest in it, and the first reply already answered the OP:

"From the Help Center article Log Deletion: "If you are a geocacher and you believe that your log was deleted in error, you will have politely emailed the cache owner requesting that the log be reinstated. If you require further assistance, please email contact@geocaching.com."

The "RELLY MAD" dad and uncle could send that email, to clear things up, and before that, the OP might show them that the container is in its spot where the OP returned it.

The email can point out that the CO insists that he found it, which should be enough to get the log restored if it's worth the trouble. If not, let it go and move on.

TPTB can review any PM emails, and there's no need for the cacher to receive more of that. It's distressing that the Cache Owner and cacher continue to be at each other's throats with no resolution. Since the OP gets a lot of grief over a CO's caches, avoid that CO's caches. And don't take cache containers home.

I still cannot fathom why the cacher has not resolved the problem.

Evidently the OP is a child. It would require an adult to resolve this.

Edited by kunarion

I have had several occasions where my caches were damaged, destroyed or otherwise rendered useless by caches and I never deleted their logs. These were accidents. In this case, we have a deliberate action by a cacher, who has cached before with an adult, and should have known better. He removed the cache. The cache is missing. As soon as I see the log book and the cache, I am happy to accept his find. This is a very easy fix and I still cannot fathom why the cacher has not resolved the problem.

I was hoping a moderator could end this particular forum as I do not feel this it is particularly helpful. Currently, its sole purpose it to give cachers a forum to articulate their caching politics. Perhaps a generic post asking "What Would You Do if Someone Intentionally Removed Your Cache" would better serve those who need to weigh in and tell us their philosophy.

Thanks!

I agree with you, but I also agree that under normal circumstances, only a thread starter can request their thread be closed. Anyways, the procedure around here is to report a post in the thread with the report button, and it will come to a moderator's attention. Worth a shot if you want to do it. Oh, and I'm with Cartman on that one too. :laughing:

Thanks!

The question should be "What Would You Do if Someone Intentionally Removed Your Found it Log"

Edited by SwineFlew
Hi JoshuaComber,

I am one of the volunteer reviewers for NJ from geocaching.com and in receipt of an e-mail from a fellow cacher. You recently removed a geocache from its hiding place (per your log entry) and, as of yet, have not returned it.

Please see that it is returned to its hiding spot as soon as possible. For future reference, caches are not to be removed; if you would like to show them to someone, ask that person to accompany you to the hide. You never know...you might even get them interested in geocaching!

Thanks.

Is this an actual email from a "volunteer reviewer"? This email takes the side of the Cache Owner, believing only part of the cacher's log entry, without knowing the whole story. So the issue was escalated by the reviewer.

Does anyone else think that reviewer is way out of line? The first reply should have been to the Cache Owner, like "disable the cache, don't make any accusations, check into it". To the cacher, "Caches should not be removed. Can you give us more info on where you replaced it?" and info on how to get the Found log restored. Where's the follow-up, why the one-sided email? How was this allowed/caused to become a forum Topic?

Edited by kunarion
Hi JoshuaComber,

I am one of the volunteer reviewers for NJ from geocaching.com and in receipt of an e-mail from a fellow cacher. You recently removed a geocache from its hiding place (per your log entry) and, as of yet, have not returned it.

Please see that it is returned to its hiding spot as soon as possible. For future reference, caches are not to be removed; if you would like to show them to someone, ask that person to accompany you to the hide. You never know...you might even get them interested in geocaching!

Thanks.

Is this an actual email from a "volunteer reviewer"? This email takes the side of the Cache Owner, believing only part of the cacher's log entry, without knowing the whole story. So the issue was escalated by the reviewer.

Does anyone else think that reviewer is way out of line? The first reply should have been to the Cache Owner, like "disable the cache, don't make any accusations, check into it". To the cacher, "Caches should not be removed. Can you give us more info on where you replaced it?" and info on how to get the Found log restored. Where's the follow-up, why the one-sided email? How was this allowed/caused to become a forum Topic?

Yes I do, its outside his/her line of duty. That's Groundspeak's job and not any reviewers of the way I understand how things are handled. My reviewers won't get involved in those situations.

If it was my own cache, I would let the log stand and send the finder a friendly email that removing the cache isn't part of the game. I would ask if he and his family wanna do a hike with me. It goes a long way to handle the situation without an iron fist.

The holes I see in this story is I believe the cacher returned it back, but the CO removed it to support his action of deleting the finder's log. Why the CO want to turn the table around and get this thread locked? Make you wonder.

steal   /stil/ Show Spelled [steel] Show IPA ,verb, stole, sto·len, steal·ing, noun

verb (used with object)

1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right

Did you steal? By definition I think so but what bothers me is the lack of regard for other cachers that may have come by while you decided to remove the cache to show your dad.

Edited by Roman!
I believe the cacher returned it back, but the CO removed it to support his action of deleting the finder's log.

I didn't have an amazing conspiracy theory :anicute:. But I did suppose the container is nice & safe in the spot where the cacher returned it (or on the ground just below that spot, fallen out of view), some distance away from its very first hiding place.

Edited by kunarion

Perhaps a generic post asking "What Would You Do if Someone Intentionally Removed Your Cache" would better serve those who need to weigh in and tell us their philosophy.

Thanks!

I know of one cache that was hidden high up in a tree. A cacher that wasn't physically able to climb the tree, tossed a rock at it and knocked it down. She then brought it home with her for her roommate to sign. A week or two later, she returned it to the cache owner at an event. He put it back. He did not delete her log. (not to say that I blame you for deleting the log on your cache... just giving an example of a similar situation)

I believe the cacher returned it back, but the CO removed it to support his action of deleting the finder's log.

I didn't have a cool conspiracy theory :anicute:. But I did suppose the container is nice & safe in the spot where the cacher returned it (or on the ground just below that spot, fallen out of view), some distance away from its very first hiding place.

If thats the case, as a CO, I would ask the finder if he wants to meet me at GZ to search for it.

I didn't have a cool conspiracy theory :anicute:. But I did suppose the container is nice & safe in the spot where the cacher returned it (or on the ground just below that spot, fallen out of view), some distance away from its very first hiding place.

If thats the case, as a CO, I would ask the finder if he wants to meet me at GZ to search for it.

That sure would be a lot of fun, but I wouldn't meet that CO in person in the woods, ever. All booked up, for the rest of my life. B)

Edited by kunarion

steal   /stil/ Show Spelled [steel] Show IPA ,verb, stole, sto·len, steal·ing, noun

verb (used with object)

1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right

Did you steal? By definition I think so but what bothers me is the lack of regard for other cachers that may have come by while you decided to remove the cache to show your dad.

I can see a case for such a harsh definition. Suppose some kid decided to take my car for a joy ride. He brought it back but I knew something was wrong because the car was not in exactly the same place and it had a scratch that wasn't there before. I would be pretty angry and would want the police to find the thief. It would not matter if I got an email saying "Nice car. I took it home for my dad to look at and put it back."

But I will argue that a cache is not a car. Several people have told stories of caches they took from their location for various reasons. They put the cache back later or returned it to the cache owner. I don't think you want to classify not replacing a cache after you found it as theft because there are too many legitimate reasons for doing so (most commonly is to protect the cache from being muggled).

Edited by tozainamboku

As soon as I see the log book and the cache, I am happy to accept his find. This is a very easy fix and I still cannot fathom why the cacher has not resolved the problem.

I believe the OP stated he does not care about logging the find. He recognized his mistake and returned the cache to where he believes he found it. Given his apparent age, I assume his dad wisely restricted him from further action. The original problem topic of this thread involved him being called-out on the cache page for not returning the cache. That log has not been edited to eliminate the unnecessary personalization. Agreed...it's a very easy fix. Just my opinion.

Perhaps a generic post asking "What Would You Do if Someone Intentionally Removed Your Cache" would better serve those who need to weigh in and tell us their philosophy.

Thanks!

Wow. You know honestly if someone intentionally moved my cache I would probably step back and look at this as just being a hobby/game shrug it off and decide if I want to put another one out or just let it be and call it a day. Even more so if it was a kid who allegedly did it. I guess for me there just isn't enough time in my day to get all in a knot about these things. Knowing me I would probably even go so far as to laugh about the whole scenario.

I also agree with the numerous other people who have suggested maybe offering to go with the family and do some geocaching. Shoot even help him a hide a cache so he learns to appreciate that aspect of it. Maybe even rehide the missing cache with him and show him how to "watch" it.

Geocaching shouldn't be negative interactions like this with incessant head butting. People of all ages, physical and mental ability and just generally sorts play this game. Laying down expectations that all people will act just like you will only lead to constant disappointment. You can either butt heads and be upset and negative about it or turn it around use it as a learning experience in a positive way.

Being at the receiving end of a really peeved cacher this summer over a trespassing issue and the subsequent cliquey rumor line has turned me off to local caching probably forever. I hope this incident didn't turn off this kid or his family to geocaching. More over I hope it didn't get him all fired up so he goes off and steals a bunch of caches in retaliation.

Is anyone actually reading this thread? I am reading the most ridiculous replies. Okay, one last time for the band wagon jumpers:

Let me start out by saying I don't really think this is all that important, I just don't really think you get what other people are seeing.

1. He was NEVER called a thief

The precise wording of your 10/14/12 disable log was "A new cacher named JoshuaComber removed the cache, took it home and never returned it." That is, in fact, calling him a thief, plain and simple.

2. He Publicly ADMITTED he removed the cacher and took it home. This is a FACT. It is NOT in dispute.

The crucial observation here is that you deleted his admission from the public record. Until the moderator dug it out and posted it, no one could see his no longer public admission. But he also said it put it back, a point you conveniently ignore.

3. I immediately deactivated the cache

OK. I have to admit, I'm not sure why you deactivated it since he said he put it back, but in hindsight, this was a good call.

4. The situation WAS handled privately. Let me say it again. The situation was handled privately.

No, it wasn't handled privately. Your log entry I just mentioned is right there in public view for all to see. The fact that you also tried to interact with the OP privately it good to know, but not really relevant to assessing your behavior.

5. The finder was emailed TWICE. Repeating: He was emailed twice.

6. He REFUSED to write back.

7. He only wrote back when his log was deleted.

Yes, that certainly makes him look bad -- if it's possible to make him look worse -- but it doesn't make you look any better.

Enough, please. :0(

OK. I was just hoping to show you the situation from a more neutral point of view.

Let's see here.... We have a youth cacher, who found a cache, took it home to show Cacher Dad, logged his find and returned the cache. We have a Math Teacher from the same area (school?) who believes only a part of the youngster's story and accuses the youth of theft-of-cache.

I know that if I were a kid who stole a cache, I wouldn't tell the story of my theft in the cache log.

I know that if I were the owner of this cache, I would use some of my professional training as a Teacher to resolve this situation into a learning experience for the young cacher.

Let's see here.... We have a youth cacher, who found a cache, took it home to show Cacher Dad, logged his find and returned the cache. We have a Math Teacher from the same area (school?) who believes only a part of the youngster's story and accuses the youth of theft-of-cache.

I wonder if they know each other? :unsure:

I wonder when this thread is going to go crawl in a corner and expire.

No! Don't ask that question. You might be opening up a can of worms there. :ph34r:

No! Don't ask that question. You might be opening up a can of worms there. :ph34r:

Yeah, you are right. I was just thinking out loud. When I was in 5th grade I was singled out and accused of something that I did not do in front of my whole class by my Math Teacher. It made me feel very bad. I guess I just related to the subject. Or it could be because it's close Halloween and my daughter just came in from gathering chicken eggs and I remember what I did to my old math teachers house and car when I was a mean teenager. :ph34r:

Good point... I wonder if the cache owner is the OP's uncle... :rolleyes:

I am a CO and understand the frustration. When you hide one you know you might have to replace it. So that shouldn't really be a issue. At least this kid admitted to what he did. I'm not saying at all it is right but think he learned his lesson and wont do it again if this is handled right. I have had a kid purposely vandalize one of our caches. This kid is trying to play fair and just made a mistake. Even if he didn't return it from what I read he was not trying to mess it up to be evil. I would give him some slack. I have given some slack to the kid who is messing up our cache and he thinks it is funny. I would be happy to replace that cache and know that the kid is not ready to go vandalize it again at any moment. He has after the replacement. I understand the COs aggravation and both sides. I hope all is well from here on out and I would let the kid log the find as if he took it he probibly found it. Glad to see the CO chime in on this as well so we could get the whole story. He should have never taken it but also admitted it. I would move on and go find some caches.

-WarNinjas

Generally speaking:

if ONE page is missing in one of my caches log book,

All finds prior to the date I find out about this, I must accept them as ok,

since their signature could have been on that one page.

if a cache is gone compleetly,

same !! alle logs prior to this, must be accepted

if a finder admit he did not sign the log book,

I detele his log and dont even waste time telling him why.

if a finder log it as found twice, I delete one of his logs.

if a finder make a very bad or crasy log, I leave it,

it is funny and just say alot about the finder himself.

if a finder admit he took a cache by accident, and bring it back,

and I can not find it, I would find it spooky,

I will ask where exactly he left it, if I can not find it,

someone else might have taken it meanwhile,

so I must accept the loss and believe it what I was told.

caches go missing all the time,

beginners and even experienced cachers do forget to hide well,

and some rehide at wrong location,

"walking" caches is a known problem,

alot of CO's cant even find their own caches, they are often not where they left them.

I'm willing to bet that it was returned to the wrong spot.

Last year I had a cache with several DNFs, so I went out to check on it and could not find it, or locate GZ, as the area in the woods had changed. Before I had even arrived home, there was a brand new cacher that posted a find. I emailed them a few times so they could describe where they found it so I could locate it, and I received no reply. Rather they responded by posting a picture of them holding the cache instead, I suppose as "proof" that they found it. I did not want any proof, I just wanted to know where it was. :rolleyes: There are still finds being posted on it, so I know it is there, although I am unable to do any maintenance on it.

In this case, I don't think it is a good idea to blame anyone for not returning it, unless there is solid evidence such as a witness or photo evidence, as getting the boy upset is only likely to make things worse.

Thanks!

I know of one cache that was hidden high up in a tree. A cacher that wasn't physically able to climb the tree, tossed a rock at it and knocked it down. She then brought it home with her for her roommate to sign. A week or two later, she returned it to the cache owner at an event. He put it back. He did not delete her log. (not to say that I blame you for deleting the log on your cache... just giving an example of a similar situation)

I thought you were referring to me there for a brief moment.. :ph34r: until I read on. Besides, I am no she.

Caches go missing...it just happens. Heck...the one's we think "will last forever" go missing in the first hour...and other we think "Let's place one and see" last for years...it happens...

I see nothing in the log in question that would leave me to believe he didn't honestly return the cache...I would have let the log stay and chalk it up to being lost to the order of the muggle...(two legged, four legged, or otherwise)...

If nothing else, this thread demonstrates what you might have to deal with if you publish a hide.

I haven't published yet. I guess I'll have to grow some thick skin before I do.

My 100th was published yesterday and I have 6 more waiting to be published today and have never had a problem getting the published or with any kind of problems with the cachers either. Don't let something like this keep you from becoming a CO. It's very unlikely, if you do it right, you will ever see a problem.

I'm willing to bet that it was returned to the wrong spot.

Last year I had a cache with several DNFs, so I went out to check on it and could not find it, or locate GZ, as the area in the woods had changed. Before I had even arrived home, there was a brand new cacher that posted a find. I emailed them a few times so they could describe where they found it so I could locate it, and I received no reply. Rather they responded by posting a picture of them holding the cache instead, I suppose as "proof" that they found it. I did not want any proof, I just wanted to know where it was. :rolleyes: There are still finds being posted on it, so I know it is there, although I am unable to do any maintenance on it.

In this case, I don't think it is a good idea to blame anyone for not returning it, unless there is solid evidence such as a witness or photo evidence, as getting the boy upset is only likely to make things worse.

I would suggest that this is a rare occasion where you would receive no grief on logging a find on your own cache...if you can find it. :)

Not entirely sure what's going on with this cache given the very different versions of facts. But hypothetically speaking, if someone were to take one of our caches home and didn't put it back after being asked to do so, their "found it" log's going to get continually deleted whether they signed the logbook or not and no matter how many people took their side in the forums.

Would you also delete any finds he's logged on your other caches? I would say that follows from your logic since there's as much justification for deleting his other Found logs as there is for deleting this one Found it log (i.e., there's no justification whatsoever).

I honestly don't know how you're going to answer that question, but COs would answer "yes" are what causes nasty feuds and other widespread unpleasantness that I've heard about.

Good question. I hadn't really thought about that, and I'm not sure what I would do. So, your point is well taken.

I appreciate everyone's comments, both positive and negative; I fully understand these posts are supposed to be constructive and I take it as such. One thing I forgot to mention is I immediately e-mailed the cacher based on the narrative in his log. I received no response. After several days, I e-mailed him again and no reply. This is when I decided to vacate his find. So, I did attempt to resolve the problem privately, twice. Only when I could not get a response (and I believe I was patient) did I then take action.

But how are you 100% certain he did not return the cache?

I kinda shook my head, chuckling to myself, as I worked my way through the OP's grammar, recognizing the behavior of a kid who was not up to par on cache finding etiquette. I have had caches which disappeared for reasons unknown, caches which I believe, based on the circumstances, were stolen by muggles, and even caches which were taken away from GZ by the finder, for one reason or another. None of these incidents upset me in the least, as I expected there to be bumps in the cache owner road.

What really shocked me is the utter petulance of the cache owner.

As a deputy sheriff of many, many years, I have had the opportunity to work with all manner of teachers, in all grade levels. Regardless of the external provocation presented at the time, each of these teachers behaved as a professional. As such, I was rather surprised to see someone who carries the moniker of "Math Teacher" behaving in such a manner.

Since caches go missing all the time, the burden of proof for an unsigned log must be on the cache owner.

Everything we've seen here, from both the finder and the owner, indicate that the cache was, in fact, found.

Show me the original log, unsigned, and I'll accept your deletion.

Otherwise, you are just being obtuse.

Edited by Clan Riffster

Wow. After reading this entire thread from top to bottom, all I can say is I think the CO is a jerk. I'm glad we don't have cachers around here that act so high and mighty.

+1

and also the reviewer that took his side in their note to the OP.

I'd be asking Groundspeak to have the found it log reinstated and locked, and then put the COs caches on my ignore list!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

and also the reviewer that took his side in their note to the OP.

Yeah, there's two things I find distressing about this situation:

1. The stubbornness of the CO and their unwillingness to even consider that there may not be anything nefarious going on.

2. The bias of the reviewer. The reviewer should be working with both sides to resolve the situation, not inflaming it by taking sides.

I feel sorry for the poor kid that I now believe didn't do what he's accused of doing.