Time Balls ?

Ianatlarge

Time balls — let me explain. In the days of yore, before, ... well, everything ... at a prominent spot in some cities a ball was suspended, and then dropped to indicate a particular time. 12.00 seems to be the norm. This acted as a time keeping service. I came across one of these in Singapore, and I know of a few others in Australia.

Any suggestions as to which category? Or should we start a new category? hahaha Joke.

I assumed these devices were more common than it seems. Perhaps it is only those nations, which were once part of the great British Empire, that know of such things—not rebels? There used to be a Time Ball in Perth City, and in other ozi state captials. Here are pics and info of the Ball in Singapore.

Maybe we do need a new category? hehe

DSC00002.jpg

On a slider, visible across Sing city.

DSC00003.jpg

The ball itself.

DSC00005.jpg

Ok, but which category?

I have looked at wiki. There are >60 time balls. Maybe, maybe, maybe, a new category? I know, some Australian guy claimed that there should be at least 500 potential waymarks for a new category, but who listens to Australians? I mean, there are less than 500 Kugel balls. We can have time balls?

Aren't these essentially Town Clocks? :D

I would have thought no. No gears, no clock face, no other things I cannot think of. I could run it past the clock folk and see what they say.

Still—— new category hahaha.

Is the definition of a clock that it tells time, or that it is a mechanical device? I'd try town clocks and see if it gets approved.

At this time town clocks would not be a good place to submit a time ball. A clock tells time continuously as a time ball tells the time once a day. Time balls were used to set the time on clocks as they dropped precisely at a set time each day.

Edited by BruceS

Interesting! Well, I wouldn't be opposed to expanding Town Clocks to include these, but they are substantially different. We have a dedicated category for sundials, which could also be considered clocks.

Lack of prevalence would be the big issue in a new category. But, I think this is one of those case where the high "unique and interesting" factor ought to outweigh the "hundreds of waymarks in every country of the world" factor. What, I ask, is wrong with have a smaller category for something as fascinating as these objects?

In the UK the Greenwich Observatory used to send a time signal to railway stations to enable them to set their clocks accurately. The railway stations were allowed to then transmit the same signal to clock makers and sellers.

This way mark http://www.Waymarking.com/wm/search.aspx?f=1&lat=53.801279&lon=-1.548567&t=3&id=leeds&kw=time%20ball&st=2 shows a shop in Leeds that had 2 time balls and 2 large public clocks on display. The time ball used to drop at 13:00 pm. Because of the clocks I managed to post it to Town Clocks.

5f2c8478-f32b-4c49-a65d-9a00738b1e2f.JPG

I never heard of them before and had to to some research to find out what they are at all.

A very interesting and distinct piece of history. But it looks like there are only about 60 of them left worldwide. This is going to become a tough vote. I wish you good luck, but I would not bet on a positive result.

For those following this discussion, I have created a new group (mghmoms) "Time Balls". Anyone interested in being an officer please feel free to sign up. I suspect a low frequency of waymarks. So you will not be rushed off your feet.

From what I gather, even thought there is a Time Ball club (http://www.1oclockgun.org.uk/index.html), there is no single list of all TBs. Maybe we could do something about that? :).

I am writing a draft category. I will post in a new topic in a few days. Still travelling.