The cost of membership.

Bilbobaker

This is like a tax debate but.. if you lower your cost of yearly admission you will explode you contributing members.

Why not try and see.

Ten bucks membership will eventually explode the numbers and partisanship,

It just the facts,,

It's already free to join, and the benefits of basic membership are pretty good, compared to what they were when I started. Being a PM comes with perks, and the cost is less per month than I spend a day on a cup of coffee for a month.

TFTC = Thanks For The Cache

TFTP = Thanks For The Post

Okay, I was close but still confused. Apparently we've replaced the 1+ without telling me.
In this case, I don't think +1 means the same thing.

As the saying goes, it's not funny if you have to explain it.

Ok, Ok. Let me know when the internet has sarcasm, irony, humor font.

Both posts I quoted talked about the "smartphone explosion". One of the more negative connotations of the smartphone explosion is TFTC logs. They also take the form of "Yay", "found it", "nice one" ": )", etc....., but it is most commonly associated with tftc. So I just tftp'd a couple of posts. Yeah, probably like 2 people besides me got it. :huh:

TFTC = Thanks For The Cache

TFTP = Thanks For The Post

Okay, I was close but still confused. Apparently we've replaced the 1+ without telling me.
In this case, I don't think +1 means the same thing.

As the saying goes, it's not funny if you have to explain it.

Ok, Ok. Let me know when the internet has sarcasm, irony, humor font.

Both posts I quoted talked about the "smartphone explosion". One of the more negative connotations of the smartphone explosion is TFTC logs. They also take the form of "Yay", "found it", "nice one" ": )", etc....., but it is most commonly associated with tftc. So I just tftp'd a couple of posts. Yeah, probably like 2 people besides me got it. :huh:

Honestly, I'm not complaining. If I could hear the tone of a written post, I might have a better chance of getting the intent.

Less than $2,50 a month, I think the going rate is a bit low for what is offered, and I think that is what a lot of the members think.

I think this first reply hit the nail smack on the head...and drove it in flush. ^_^

Why in Buddha's name do we need more members? :sunsure:

Plenty of pointless, poorly conceived caches are being placed as it is, so that can't be it.

I'm sure Groundspeak thought long and hard before setting the current fees for (Premium) membership.

I'm also sure they have someone to regularly crunch the numbers and see if they are (still) getting enough revenue to pay for the services they provide.

This is like a tax debate but.. if you lower your cost of yearly admission you will explode you contributing members.

Why not try and see.

It just the facts,,

Not a fact. I don't believe that lowering everyone's tax rate will increase the money the government collects or solve the deficit.

Perhaps lowering the cost of a premium membership will increase the number sold but I'm not convinced this will in fact make up for the lost revenue. Those of us who pay $30/year and do it year after year find this to be one of the cheapest entertainment cost we pay for. It is a bargain.

Those who suggest the price be lowered usually have some motive other than to become business strategists for Groundspeak. They often turn out to be a teen or pre-teen with a fixed allowance for whom a $30 one time payment is a little high. Of course they could ask their parents for an advance to purchase a premium membership or they could put a couple of bucks aside each week and in a few months have saved the money. But in both cases, comes the question "Are you going to stick with Geocaching for longer than a few months?" Not surprisingly at that age the answer is often "No".

Groundspeak used to have a $3/month option. That was great for someone starting out who wasn't sure a premium membership was worth it or wasn't sure if they were going to stick with this longer term. It cost Groundspeak too much to process these month to month memberships so sadly they did away with them. They were replaced by the $10 for 3 month option which still seems too big of a commitment for some.

Edited by tozainamboku

I spent $38 with tip for dinner for two tonight. I get on hellluva lot more enjoyment out of my premium membership than that one dinner. I would easily spend $50 per year if need be. I highly value this sport.... try buying a ticket to any sports event and you pay twice the amount of a premium geocaching membership just to park and watch the event for one day.

As far as smart phone applications and geocaching. I LOVE IT. I been a member since 2003 so I am not some Johnny Come Lately and I love my Garmins for placing a cache and the smart phone app for finding them.

They were replaced by the $10 for 3 month option which still seems too big of a commitment for some.

Honest question. Do you think that membership fees are a source of profit for gc.com? Edit: and no I don't mean that enticing any customer isn't profitable. I mean straight out - 30 bucks a year.

Edited by BlueDeuce
They were replaced by the $10 for 3 month option which still seems too big of a commitment for some.

Honest question. Do you think that membership fees are a source of profit for gc.com? Edit: and no I don't mean that enticing any customer isn't profitable. I mean straight out - 30 bucks a year.

I do believe that premium memberships are a source of profit. The $30/year goes to upgrades to the software to provide premium feature and the cost of servers to run pocket queries (and support the API). But my guess is that the membership fees more than cover this. However there are other sources of income which might very well be a bigger chunk of Groundspeak's revenue. Sales of merchandise including travel bugs, coins, and fees for tracking coins are probably a good part of the revenue. And promotion/advertising rates are dictated by the numbers of both premium and non-premium members. It could very well be that once you commit to a premium membership you are seen as being more likely to purchase merchandise and perhaps are also seen as more valuable to advertisers. So perhaps Groundspeak could offset loss in revenue from cheaper premium memberships by increased revenue from other sources.

If membership was $10/year you be saying the same thing but suggesting $5.00/year and if it was $50.00/year you'd be happy with $30.00 year.

In reality I think to increase profits GS should raise the cost of the premier membership, it's too low as it is.

Honestly though, if you have a problem with paying $30/year for what you get from GS then you need to spend a lot more time focusing on improving your life then you do geocaching.

Edited by Roman!

I think the OP is onto something here. The pricing structure needs a bit of adjustment, just not quite the way the OP envisioned.

Proposed new pricing structure:

Basic Membership - Free - (but you still have to post a credit card number, just like all those "free trial" sites out there. You'll see why in a minute.)

Premium Membership - $3.00/month or $30.00/year

Logging:

Well thought out, descriptive, or entertaining logs - free.

Each TFTC or :) log you post - $1.00 per post up to 10 posts.

10-50 such posts per year - $45.00

50+ TFTC or :) log posts per year - $250.00

Caches:

Quality caches in scenic or interesting areas - free.

magnetic blinkies or keyhiders on sign posts or guardrails - $2.50 each

Any cache page containing the word "stealth" - $5.00 each

Puzzle caches that I can't solve - $10.00 each

Any cache that needs maintenance for more than 30 days - $50.00 each

After reading the OP's cache logs, I understand why the member explosion is so valuable, even necessary. The OP has such enthusiasm, such storytelling of incredible Geocaching adventures, you immediately understand that if the Premium Membership cost were slightly less, things would be so much better with the vast increase of people. Here's just one example: “Found it didn't have a pen to sign it with.” I can just imagine what the OP's logs will be after Premium Membership occurs! And if PM wasn't so expensive, people wouldn't have to forgo pens to save up for it.

And here I thought it meant "Thanks from the phone" as in a new found it log acronym. :laughing:

Mrs. Car54

...and many feel that this would be an undesirable outcome. Enough of the explosions! We've already had the "explosion effects" of smart phone applications and they're not all positive ones.

tftp

S'ok. I got it. Had to think about it for a bit... but I got it.

MrsB

Could someone kindly point me to a page distinguishing the advantages that premium members have? I've thought about getting into geocaching for a while now, but have only been maybe once or twice and just recently created a profile. I'm on the fence about $30 because I may only go once a month. I would like to put out some of my own caches at some point, and think I could have some decent ideas. I do a type of puzzle hunt for my wife every year or two which might include trick boxes, cryptex, hollowed out books and such, which I thought would work well for geocaching. It's all home made, so the cost is very low.

I'm the only income for the family while my wife stays at home with the kids right now, so even though it's only $30, I don't take the expense lightly as it is for recreational purposes. I guess I'm just wondering if the $30 is worth it for an occasional cacher like I would be.

If they raised the price to $60 or more, I can probably guarantee I wouldn't join any time soon, but I'm just one person.

Could someone kindly point me to a page distinguishing the advantages that premium members have? I've thought about getting into geocaching for a while now, but have only been maybe once or twice and just recently created a profile. I'm on the fence about $30 because I may only go once a month. I would like to put out some of my own caches at some point, and think I could have some decent ideas. I do a type of puzzle hunt for my wife every year or two which might include trick boxes, cryptex, hollowed out books and such, which I thought would work well for geocaching. It's all home made, so the cost is very low.

I'm the only income for the family while my wife stays at home with the kids right now, so even though it's only $30, I don't take the expense lightly as it is for recreational purposes. I guess I'm just wondering if the $30 is worth it for an occasional cacher like I would be.

If they raised the price to $60 or more, I can probably guarantee I wouldn't join any time soon, but I'm just one person.

Sure, no problem! Benefits of Premium Membership

If you go out to eat, or go out for a few drinks, or do a movie once a month, you've probably spent $30...and this is $30 per year, BUT... that's only for Premium membership. You do NOT need that to geocache. It is a big convenience once you find that you really enjoy the activity, but you can certainly do enough caching without it to find out if this is for you. Some very active cachers never switch to Premium. Give it a try.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people will work their pet peeves into every thread that they post in.

Tftc, yay, or : ) logs are merely an observation.

Actually, my pet peeve is worthless hints. Or maybe people who say worthless hints aren't really worthless because it tells them not to overthink it. Or maybe people that don't post for like a year, and come back. :ph34r: Just kidding of course, welcome back.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

First a disclaimer followed by what may seem like an inconsistent remark.

Disclaimer - I was once a premium member but will never spend so much as a single penny if it is headed to the Groundspeak bank account.

Now the remark - The $30 premium membership price is quite reasonable and the bells and whistles available are a more than fair exchange. In reality, the site basics that are free are quite impressive and a steal.

Unfortunately, the company has no regard for quality caching and no appreciation for its customers, especially the cache owners without whom they have no business whatsoever. So I say, yes, it is a great deal, but, no, keep your money.

Disclaimer - I was once a premium member but will never spend so much as a single penny if it is headed to the Groundspeak bank account.

Now the remark - The $30 premium membership price is quite reasonable and the bells and whistles available are a more than fair exchange. In reality, the site basics that are free are quite impressive and a steal.

Unfortunately, the company has no regard for quality caching and no appreciation for its customers, especially the cache owners without whom they have no business whatsoever. So I say, yes, it is a great deal, but, no, keep your money.

Groundspeak is not responsible for cache quality. Cache owners are responsible for cache quality. So if you think the caches need a quality improvement, then your responsible for hiding caches that improve the quality. Maybe, just maybe, others will follow your lead.

Could someone kindly point me to a page distinguishing the advantages that premium members have? I've thought about getting into geocaching for a while now, but have only been maybe once or twice and just recently created a profile. I'm on the fence about $30 because I may only go once a month. I would like to put out some of my own caches at some point, and think I could have

If you only go out once/month, buying a premium membership may not be worth it for you. The main benefit as I see it is the pocket queries i.e. being able to load 1000s of caches on your GPS at once. If you are only going out once/month, it's easy enough to load them manually. One thing to consider, if you are planning to hide your own caches is that if you don't know where the premium member caches are, you're likely to have proximity trouble. I think you've got some awesome ideas for caches though so hope you are able to hide them.

Groundspeak is not responsible for cache quality. Cache owners are responsible for cache quality. So if you think the caches need a quality improvement, then your responsible for hiding caches that improve the quality. Maybe, just maybe, others will follow your lead.

Been there. Done that. Groundspeak persuaded me it was a waste of time and money. Your premise is actually, that is a boat load of nonsense. Kind of like saying, if you trade even, others may do the same or if you record your DNF, everyone else will. Good luck with that.

Regarding Groundspeak, as the "parent" so to speak, it establishes policies, guidelines and practices that that both promote low quality caches and discourages high quality caches. There is no small supply of quality cache owners who have decided it is just not worth the aggravation. Quality begins at the top. The Groundspeak logo ought to be McToy with a lamp post and guard rail in the background. Yes, that is hyperbole, but well-earned.

Regarding Groundspeak, as the "parent" so to speak, it establishes policies, guidelines and practices that that both promote low quality caches and discourages high quality caches.
Would you care to be more specific about how you think Groundspeak's policies, guidelines, and practices promote low quality caches and discourage high quality caches?

Been there. Done that. Groundspeak persuaded me it was a waste of time and money. Your premise is actually, that is a boat load of nonsense. Kind of like saying, if you trade even, others may do the same or if you record your DNF, everyone else will. Good luck with that.

Regarding Groundspeak, as the "parent" so to speak, it establishes policies, guidelines and practices that that both promote low quality caches and discourages high quality caches. There is no small supply of quality cache owners who have decided it is just not worth the aggravation. Quality begins at the top. The Groundspeak logo ought to be McToy with a lamp post and guard rail in the background. Yes, that is hyperbole, but well-earned.

I get your whole gc.com should do this beef, but when I talk to a bunch of geocachers they don't give a crap. You tell them to maintain their cache they'll accuse you of harassment. They complain about the reporter, not gc.com.

Edit: oop, just noted the topic drift.

Edited by BlueDeuce

But these crappy caches keep getting found and that's not Groundspeak's fault, if no one found them then that would discourage the hiders, and at least Groundspeak was kind enough to create a filter and ignore options.

I see nothing in the guidelines that discourages quality hides. I've done a number of quality hides, so apparently the guidelines do not prohibit or discourage quality hides. You sound like might be having a bad day. Did some one take your binky?

I might be mistaken, but doesn't Opencaching allow for caches to be published without review? If they don't any longer, they used to. How well did that work out? All these cache owners who were sick of Groundspeak lowering the bar on cache quality had a fresh slate to take all their grand ideas for awesome caches to a new parent and a wide open map...and...nothing. Nothing happened. Most Opencaches listings are just cross listings from GC.com.

So, for me, the cost of membership is totally worth it. There is a lot of sludge but there is also a lot of diamonds in the rough. I know Groundspeak is the 900lb gorilla in the geocaching world, but if other geocaching sites offered a high quality caching experience, they would have a following. As it is, why go to another site to find the same caches you can find on GC.com? As was said, the onus is on the players to make geocaching a better experience.

It was not so long ago that I read a newspaper article on geocaching. Thought it sounded interesting, so I checked the website. Found there were 2 caches very conveinient to my location, so I poked them into my auto GPS and took the kids off to find them. 6 months later Groundspeak had a brand new paying premium member. If I had to pay to get those first 2 location I would probably not be caching today. Let's not forget we were all once newbies.

It was not so long ago that I read a newspaper article on geocaching. Thought it sounded interesting, so I checked the website. Found there were 2 caches very conveinient to my location, so I poked them into my auto GPS and took the kids off to find them. 6 months later Groundspeak had a brand new paying premium member. If I had to pay to get those first 2 location I would probably not be caching today. Let's not forget we were all once newbies.

Well of course there is a famous "pledge" by the CEO that Geocaching will always be free. Made back when he used to interact in the forums daily, after being pressed by some of the early pioneers of Geocaching who didn't like the concept of the then newly introduced premium memberships, period. Me, I didn't go premo for 5 months until early 2004. Not much of a hurry, since my first GPS didn't even have a download cable.

I see nothing in the guidelines that discourages quality hides. I've done a number of quality hides, so apparently the guidelines do not prohibit or discourage quality hides. You sound like might be having a bad day. Did some one take your binky? blinky?

Fixed it for you. You meant blinky, not binky, right? As in someone took his nano on a stop sign in the Wal-Mart parking lot?

Edited by Mr.Yuck
Regarding Groundspeak, as the "parent" so to speak, it establishes policies, guidelines and practices that that both promote low quality caches and discourages high quality caches.
Would you care to be more specific about how you think Groundspeak's policies, guidelines, and practices promote low quality caches and discourage high quality caches?

I'm generally a fan of gc.com (we have 2 premium accounts) but one thing Groundspeak management did which promoted low quality caches was open the flood gates to power trails. And then not providing a means of filtering them (without hours of work placing 100s of them on an ignore list).

Edited by L0ne R

A quote from the guidelines:

"By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. If you have permission to place a cache on private property, indicate this on the cache listing for the benefit of the reviewer and those seeking the cache"

Groundspeak allows cachers to place caches in privately owned parking lots, thereby allowing the above guideline to be broken. I would bet money that walmart, or any other big chain, will not give permission for a cache placed under a lampskirt on the property. In my mind, and this is just one example, gc.com does help promote carpy hides by looking the other way and allowing these..

As far as the cost for premium membership goes,,, it's fine right where it is! Oh, and as others have mentioned, i don't want to see an explosion of new members.

Edited by Mudfrog

I see nothing in the guidelines that discourages quality hides. I've done a number of quality hides, so apparently the guidelines do not prohibit or discourage quality hides. You sound like might be having a bad day. Did some one take your binky? blinky?

Fixed it for you. You meant blinky, not binky, right? As in someone took his nano on a stop sign in the Wal-Mart parking lot?

Of course your correction totally changed my comment. I meant what I said. Apparently you do not have much experience with the smaller versions of humans. For your edification ...

Binky

• A stuffed animal or similar toy for small children
  • A brand name for a pacifier, used to comfort infants or small children

Groundspeak allows cachers to place caches in privately owned parking lots, thereby allowing the above guideline to be broken. I would bet money that walmart, or any other big chain, will not give permission for a cache placed under a lampskirt on the property.
As shown in earlier threads about this permission issue, you would lose that money.

Of course your correction totally changed my comment. I meant what I said. Apparently you do not have much experience with the smaller versions of humans. For your edification ...

Binky

I thought that he was simply trying to make your post conform with the Forum Guidelines.

Binky

I thought that he was simply trying to make your post conform with the Forum Guidelines.

What he said!! Oh, my humor is lost around here lately. Mr. Yuck, although scary-looking, and not a "gootchee goo" kind of guy when he has a baby put in his face, did in fact father two Children, now aged 13 and 18. So he does know what a binky is. B) C'mon now, Emmet placing a blinky on a stop sign in the Wal-Mark parking lot? That there is some funny stuff.

...and many feel that this would be an undesirable outcome. Enough of the explosions! We've already had the "explosion effects" of smart phone applications and they're not all positive ones.

MrsB

+ 1........I miss the old days.

+ 2 Membership cost is just fine for the benefits offered.

Groundspeak allows cachers to place caches in privately owned parking lots, thereby allowing the above guideline to be broken. I would bet money that walmart, or any other big chain, will not give permission for a cache placed under a lampskirt on the property.
As shown in earlier threads about this permission issue, you would lose that money.

I have never seen any thread where someone stated they obtained permission or that a company gave permission to hide an lpc in it's parking lot.

However, i did obtain permission from a Gander Mountain store manager to place a cache in another area of his store's property. Just for the heck of it, i asked him what he thought about hiding one under a skirt in the parking lot and he told me he would not allow it.

Actually by keeping the price of membership the same over all these years the relative worth of membership decreased. According to websites that calculate this kind of thing. $30 in 2002, the first year that premium membership was offered, is the same as $42.50 in today's money. So the cost of membership has dropped $12.50 in value since it was introduced or about $1.50 annually.