My daughters crazy cache idea...any help

WarNinjas

So my daughter came up with this crazy idea she wants to make as a cache. She wants to call it earth sandwich. We would hide a cache here that the container is in the shape of a slice of bread. Then have a cacher on the other side of the world hide one the same and it would be a earth sandwich. We would be willing to ship the container out to them so they would be the same. One problem is the other side of the earth is a ocean but we were thinking maybe Australia or china as everyone thinks of that as the other side of the world so maybe more of a sub type of sandwich. We were hoping to find a active cacher who would maintain it as well. Then put a link to the GC code of the other cache. Maybe someday someone would find both slices or at least dream of it and want to find it. I have looked up a couple of active cachers in those country's and asked but guess the idea is to crazy as they have not responded.

This has been a idea of hers for a while and she brings it up sometimes. Wondering if anyone here knew someone who would think this was a good idea and place one for us? Any good containers that might look like bread or maybe a Lock n Lock with a pic of a slice of bread showing threw the lid. Is this Idea just to crazy to work? Don't know but she thinks it would be cool so I thought I would ask.

-WarNinjas

Edited by WarNinjas

Fun idea!

You could go with fake bread (like what you'd find in a plastic grocery store toy set - which you even be able to find in a second hand store) like this:

bread1.jpg

You'd probably have to insert a bison or something in order to have a remotely water-resistant cache.

Or you could go with a Wonder Bread container (which again won't be remotely water-tight)

bread.jpg

If you google "fake slice bread" some other (more expensive) options show up.

If you could make one yourself out of fiberglass or something, you could create an oversized slice of bread, which I think would be pretty sweet. (Although shipping to Australia might be prohibitive.) I bought some fiberglass and was going to try my hand at making a fake rock, but I haven't delved in to that one yet - no idea how hard it might be.

Sorry I did offer to help but on 2nd thoughts it would not be very practical. May i suggest that you post in the geocaching Australia forums... link http://forum.geocaching.com.au/ make sure you make it clear it is a geocaching.com cache and not a geocaching Australia cache that you want. 2 different sites but most Aussie cachers use both.

Edited by Sat down

Two points on opposite points on the earth's surface are called antipodes but since most of the earths surface is covered with water there are very few places where there is land on both sides. South America and Alaska are the only major land areas where the earth sandwich is possible.

...because nobody wants a soggy Earth sandwich. :)

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

There are other similar 'cooperation required' multicaches out there that require a partner in another state/country to help you find the coords to the final stage. Perhaps you can arrange something along these lines. It can be fun to work with a geopal who lives somewhere else.

I enjoyed the two listed below. Kudos to your daughter for coloring outside the lines.

Peace Arch

Interstate Commerce

North west Spain is the antipodes to the south island of New Zealand according to the tunnel tool, so it would work there as both points are in areas that cachers use.

It would work if you lived in Spain or New Zealand but the OP is from California. While playing with an antipode tunnel tool it looks like the only place in the U.S. where there is an antipode on land is in Hawaii (with an antiode in Botswana).

I've heard about caches like that. I believe it has to be a multi because a puzzle is restricted to distance. But a multi can go further. Correct me if I am wrong.

I thought it's going to be two distinct (traditional) caches?

Then put a link to the GC code of the other cache.

P.S. I liked the idea, WarNinjas. I'm looking forward to it. B)

Not sure one of her friends went to another country and told her if she put a piece of bread on the kitchen floor and my daughter did at the same time they would make a earth sandwich. Of course the first thing she thought of was a geocache! I know it will be a little off but if you stuff a sandwich that full of stuff (like earth) I imagine it would be hard to get the bread flat on. :)

-WarNinjas

Of cause any spot on the globe will have an antipodean point, with NW Spain and the south island of New Zealand I was looking for the two spots that already had caching activity. Hong Kong is at an antipodean point to northern Argentina, so that would work as well.

If you are not fussed about antipodean points, then I guess Australia would do for an opposite site to California. I know Sat Down, they are great local cachers, and if they can't help, I know I could help.

Edited by Rainbow Spirit

Of cause any spot on the globe will have an antipodean point, with NW Spain and the south island of New Zealand I was looking for the two spots that already had caching activity. Hong Kong is at an antipodean point to northern Argentina, so that would work as well.

If you are not fussed about antipodean points, then I guess Australia would do for an opposite site to California. I know Sat Down, they are great local cachers, and if they can't help, I know I could help.

I just sent a message to Two_Drews but if for some reason it don't work out I will let you know! Thanks for the great offer. We might be able to get this going afterall!

-WarNinjas

Edited by WarNinjas

So my daughter came up with this crazy idea she wants to make as a cache. She wants to call it earth sandwich. We would hide a cache here that the container is in the shape of a slice of bread. Then have a cacher on the other side of the world hide one the same and it would be a earth sandwich. We would be willing to ship the container out to them so they would be the same. One problem is the other side of the earth is a ocean but we were thinking maybe Australia or china as everyone thinks of that as the other side of the world so maybe more of a sub type of sandwich. We were hoping to find a active cacher who would maintain it as well. Then put a link to the GC code of the other cache. Maybe someday someone would find both slices or at least dream of it and want to find it. I have looked up a couple of active cachers in those country's and asked but guess the idea is to crazy as they have not responded.

This has been a idea of hers for a while and she brings it up sometimes. Wondering if anyone here knew someone who would think this was a good idea and place one for us? Any good containers that might look like bread or maybe a Lock n Lock with a pic of a slice of bread showing threw the lid. Is this Idea just to crazy to work? Don't know but she thinks it would be cool so I thought I would ask.

-WarNinjas

Yes I saw the sandwich tool and where we are it doesn't work. But I have an idea. Oh BTW nice Watermelon! Is that why you didn't use the Pier?

Good Idea for a cache pair! Tell her not to worry about the exactness of the positions for sure! Any time I make a big sandwich the filling always seems to spill out to one side or the other, so that isn't exactly centered either.

Doug 7rxc Good luck!

Another idea that wouldn't require antipodes on dry land would be to find a city of the same name or a "sister city". Often sister cities are on "the other side of the world". Maybe it would be a perfect sandwich but the spirit is the same.

Oh BTW nice Watermelon! Is that why you didn't use the Pier?

We have decided to set this up with the great help of Two_Drews! Thanks to them for offering to help and even create there own cache container over there! We will post up the GC codes of them when we get them going.

And yes we thought the Watermelon was cooler then the Pier. Actually all of our pier series are several feet from the actual pier just gets you to the area. Thanks jellis and everyone for the great help with this and all of our caching adventures!

-WarNinjas

If you took your home coordinates and changed the west to east, that would put you half way around the world and put you on land.

The OP sandwich would fall into the Indian Ocean just about 900 miles south east of Madagascar

It might get a bit soggy but I would put it there if I lived near there! We love the water caches! :laughing: Probibly wouldn't get found to often though.

If you took your home coordinates and changed the west to east, that would put you half way around the world and put you on land.

The OP sandwich would fall into the Indian Ocean just about 900 miles south east of Madagascar

It might get a bit soggy but I would put it there if I lived near there! We love the water caches! :laughing: Probibly wouldn't get found to often though.

You could try just the West coords as opposed to the real sandwich. Still will get pretty far.

Ladies & Gentelmen ... just come on and check the (I guess) first Earth Sandwich Geocache :

GC1ZY9Y Earth Sandwich (Manawatu)

-How long will it take before there is a cache at 40.4083 -3.6796?, the answer: 3 years, 2 months, 14 days

GC43NAF Earth Sandwich (Madrid)

Who will be the first geocacher to find both and get the First Earth Sandwich Find in the world? ... (to be continued)

:rolleyes:

Edited: correct link

Edited by DeepButi