New to caching

Hi,

I am new to caching and am having great fun so far. I am based in the north west of the UK and am slowly reading my way through all the helpful forum posts. Is this the only UK forum for GCers? Or are there more I've been overlooking?

Also I read in different cache logs that cachers meet other cachers whilst out caching. This sounds like an odd question even as I write it, but how do you introduce yourself or identify yourself as a cacher? I mean unless you recognise someone from a profile pic, everyone who passes is potentially a muggle. Short of wearing a geocaching.com t-shirt, is there a more subtle way you guys identify yourself as a geocacher?

Hi, welcome :)

There is the Geocaching Association of Great Britain forum and there are quite a few regional forums around the UK, including the NW Caching forum.

It's been very noticable over the last year or two that the geocaching forums have become quieter as more and more geocaching discussion has moved over to facebook where there are over 40 UK geocaching groups (some more active than others).

MrsB :)

Yes this is the only UK forum on the Groundspeak site, but there are other forums elsewhere, and there are a lot of active facebook groups.

As for spotting geocachers in the field, if you see someone rooting around in the bushes where your GPS arrow is pointing to then there's a good chance they're cachers, anyone walking round in circles looking lost while looking at a GPS is almost certainly a cacher! I've met several that way. Also people walking around with GPSs might be cachers, I've asked a couple of people like that only to find out they didn't know what geocaching was and were just regular walkers.

Hi,

I am new to caching and am having great fun so far. I am based in the north west of the UK and am slowly reading my way through all the helpful forum posts. Is this the only UK forum for GCers? Or are there more I've been overlooking?

Also I read in different cache logs that cachers meet other cachers whilst out caching. This sounds like an odd question even as I write it, but how do you introduce yourself or identify yourself as a cacher? I mean unless you recognise someone from a profile pic, everyone who passes is potentially a muggle. Short of wearing a geocaching.com t-shirt, is there a more subtle way you guys identify yourself as a geocacher?

"Spot the hardware"! is the easiest method. As soon as you see that GPSr dangling from their person, you can be sure they're a cacher - go over and say hi showing them yours (oooh er!) as you approach, so they know you're one too!

Also, if you notice someone loitering where you KNOW there is a cache - you can watch them (often without them noticing you) and then introduce yourself, after you see them go for it! On a well-trodden caching series route, during a weekend, you can almost assume that anyone doing the same route as you probably IS a cacher and only work out that they AREN'T when they walk straight past the next GZ.

Another more subtle one is watching someone make a straight bee-line across a park or other public place, completely ignoring the pathways! As a caching chum pointed out - it's usually a cacher following the arrow!

Hi,

There have been a few times that I've run into other cachers while looking for a cache and my favorite line to "introduce" myself is, "So. Found it yet?" That always makes folks smile! Just this summer I used it on a young family looking for their very first cache! They were amazed to meet someone with over 600 finds! It was great!