Definitions?

New to geocaching and have been looking through the forums. Come across a few words and abbreviations that I don't know what they are. Help with what these mean?

1- Muggle

2- Stealth (A description of a cache said "There are muggles about, so be stealthy", and I have also seen Stealth as an attribute

3- Archived (Saw this referring to a cache that someone submitted that it needed to be archived)

Thanks!

New to geocaching and have been looking through the forums. Come across a few words and abbreviations that I don't know what they are. Help with what these mean?

1- Muggle

2- Stealth (A description of a cache said "There are muggles about, so be stealthy", and I have also seen Stealth as an attribute

3- Archived (Saw this referring to a cache that someone submitted that it needed to be archived)

Thanks!

1- Muggle a normal person not a geocacher (think harry potter stories for the term of a non magic user)

2- Stealth be as careful to not be noticed as it hidden in a high traffic area where if seen could be found by non-players

3- Archived removed for play na log is a way to let the reviewers know that the cache owner has not been taking care of the cache but would only recommend that if you already try to contact the cache owner about the problem

1- Muggle

Thanks!

The Help Center is a valuable resource:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=1

1.7. Terminology and Glossary

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=50

Glossary of Terms

http://www.geocaching.com/about/glossary.aspx

GeoLex The Lexicon of Geocaching

http://geolex.locusprime.net/

B.

1- Muggle

Thanks!

1- Muggle a normal person not a geocacher (think harry potter stories for the term of a non magic user)

2- Stealth be as careful to not be noticed as it hidden in a high traffic area where if seen could be found by non-players

3- Archived removed for play na log is a way to let the reviewers know that the cache owner has not been taking care of the cache but would only recommend that if you already try to contact the cache owner about the problem

What they^ said. Also...

To be clear, there are many ways the term "archived" can be used in reference to a geocache. If a "Needs Archived" (or, "NA", and folks here often post in shorthand) log is seen, it means that:

-the geocache could be against one or many of the guidelines for placement;

-the owner is no longer active and a geocache is in bad shape or in need of other attention that does not include simple maintenance, as stated in the responsibilities of a geocache listing and container owner;

-a slim, small possibility that the poster of the NA log wasn't sure how to handle a "Did not find" (DNF), and posted the NA log

-and more!

I'm sure you'll learn, as you continue to geocache,that there are many bits of nuance with log types and rationale. It all comes down to the individuality of the game, and each of us tries, at least, to follow the guidelines Groundspeak has provided us.

"Archived" can also refer to the "Archived" log that is generated when a cache owner or Reviewer determines that a geocache has run its course. (Again, this can happen for many reasons.)

There are many subtleties to geocaching lingo, and the waters get muddied from time to time. The best thing to do is look at the links Pup Patrol posted, and keep an open mind about how the game is played. Eventually, you'll have your own style and understanding of the guidelines. Just don't let yourself take it "too seriously", as they say.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the forums! Much information (and distraction) can be found here! Happy caching!