Couple of Basic Forum Questions

stedmanrecon

My apologies for so many questions so fast. Like I said in one of my other posts, I am new to this whole thing, much less to the forum community on here. So, just trying to get things straight to enjoy it more. Just a couple of quick questions about the forum use itself:

1- On my Geocaching website membership, I have posted a profile picture for myself, but I cannot see it come up on the main Geocahing page next to my name, or even on here when I make a post. Can anyone tell me how to get it to do this? Do I HAVE to be a "Premium" member for it to show up?

2- How do I get my profile to not be set as "Private" so that others can see it? I don't know what all shows up on a public profile, but I thought that it would show how many caches I have found and which ones and all that. Is it not supposed to show all of that on a public profile?

3- A couple of other online discussion forums that I am a member of and active on, there is an option in the forums that when you click on it it makes all the showing topics as "Read". Is there something like this on this forum? Or do I have to go through each forum and topic so that it will not be marked like it has a new reply? Lol this one might be a bit confusing, but I wanted to be able to skip having to go through each topic so that I can get on here a couple times a day (or everyday) and see which particular topics have a new reply.

Thanks, everyone!

1. If you go to the Getting Started forum you will see a topic pinned at the top called 'Avatar testing and instructions'.

2. If I look at your geocaching profile (by clicking your name next to your forum post) I can see all the usual details as one can see on any cacher's public profile. As well as the front profile pagewhich shows your Texas state symbol, there are tabs I can click to show me which caches you've found, Challenges, Trackables, etc etc

Hope that helps.

MrsB :)

Edited by The Blorenges

2- How do I get my profile to not be set as "Private" so that others can see it? I don't know what all shows up on a public profile, but I thought that it would show how many caches I have found and which ones and all that. Is it not supposed to show all of that on a public profile?

There isn't any option to make your public profile private. If there were, then it really wouldn't be a "public" profile, would it? :laughing:

If you go here, that's what we all see. If you click on one of our names, you'll see a similar page for our profiles.

Thank you all for the answers! I have another question about the forums which I was not able to get answered from the Getting Started Forum.

Exactly, how does the "multi-quote" tool work on here? In my other forums, I can select multiple posts in a topic to quote and reply to. I found a similar tool on here, but when I click the multi-quote button, it turns it that blue color and then automatically takes me to the reply page with the quote in the text body and has all of the other posts to the thread down below the text box. However, there are no other options with those reply post to try and add them to the text box. When I try to click on a few of the multiquote buttons quickly before the new page loads up, I can get multiple buttons to change colors but the page just comes up with only one quote inserted in the text box

I did do the forum search box using "multiquote" to search, but it only explained the action that I already took to get this done. Any other suggestions or ideas of what I might be doing wrong? I would really like to use this option as I don't particularly want to get my post count up by making 20 different posts replying to and asking questions about posts lol. Do I possibly need to be a Premium Member, a certain "level" above Tadpole, or have a certain number of posts to have this option opened up to me?...lol

Edited by stedmanrecon

...when I click the multi-quote button, it turns it that blue color and then automatically takes me to the reply page with the quote in the text body and has all of the other posts to the thread down below the text box.

That's really odd. I can click on MultiQuote buttons and the page doesn't automatically go anywhere. I can click whichever ones I want, then click the "Add Reply" button at the top or bottom of the page once I'm ready. I really can't think of why yours might be automatically going through after clicking just one.

That's really odd. I can click on MultiQuote buttons and the page doesn't automatically go anywhere. I can click whichever ones I want, then click the "Add Reply" button at the top or bottom of the page once I'm ready. I really can't think of why yours might be automatically going through after clicking just one.

Yea, that is exactly how I do it in my other forums as well. I have no clue as to why it does it this way on here. Can't seem to figure out a way around it and it kinda gets frustrating a bit lol.

Okay... Officially what the multiquote button is doing, is taking me directly to the same page as if I hit the "Reply" button following someone's post. Hitting either button inserts a quote of the person in the text box, but I cannot find a way for it to insert multiple quotes from multipled people's posts. Is there an option in the setting somewhere that I need to check to turn on or off something? Anyone know of where I can go to get a message to a moderator or someone from affiliated with the site so that I can report this and get a recommendation?

Thanks for any help.

When you have clicked the (grey) +Multiquote for each post you want to quote you must then scroll to the bottom (or top) of that Topic page and click on the blue 'Add Reply' button. (It won't work if you click on one of the grey +Reply buttons)

This then opens a Reply Box with each selected forum post set in quotes, all ready for you to add you words of reply as required.

Does that help at all?

MrsB

When I disable JavaScript for Groundspeak.com, the MultiQuote link isn't there at all.

When I whitelist Groundspeak.com to enable JavaScript, the MultiQuote link simply toggles the state of that post. When I click the Use Full Editor button at the bottom of the page, all the selected posts are quoted in the draft message.

The only way I could get a MultiQuote link to do anything else was to right-click and select the Open Link in New Tab (or Open Link in New Window) option. Maybe you're using a browser that doesn't support all the JavaScript the site uses, or maybe you're using some sort of popup blocker or firewall that blocks some of the JavaScript the site uses.

When you have clicked the (grey) +Multiquote for each post you want to quote you must then scroll to the bottom (or top) of that Topic page and click on the blue 'Add Reply' button. (It won't work if you click on one of the grey +Reply buttons)

This then opens a Reply Box with each selected forum post set in quotes, all ready for you to add you words of reply as required.

Does that help at all?

Lol, not really. Again, when I click on the grey +Multiquote button it just automatically goes to another page which is where the reply is. It has the text box to type in, and it has the quote from that person's message inserted in the text box. Down below the text box is all the other posts in the thread, but none of them have any kind of button next associated with them. lol Is there a way to get a hold of someone from the site instead of just moderators and active users? Lol as knowledgable as ya'll are, wondering if someone that has a hand in the programming and running of the site would know whats p. lol

From what you say, it sounds as though the multiquote function is working correctly.

Here is what I get when I use the multiquote function to quote two previous posts in this topic:

0c6a71bc-34cc-44f9-ae2e-06639502b792.jpg

There is the Reply box with the two post quotes in it.

I can then click my cursor into the box, type in my response under the first quote, then type in another few words under the second quote.

Then, when I'm done, underneath there is the 'Add Reply' - Click that and the whole reply with quoted posts will appear in the thread.

MrsB

From what you say, it sounds as though the multiquote function is working correctly.

Here is what I get when I use the multiquote function to quote two previous posts in this topic:

You were able to click on two MultiQuote buttons successfully. The OP is being taken to the reply page automatically after only clicking one. That is, their MultiQuote buttons are acting like the "Reply" buttons beside the MultiQuote.

You were able to click on two MultiQuote buttons successfully. The OP is being taken to the reply page automatically after only clicking one. That is, their MultiQuote buttons are acting like the "Reply" buttons beside the MultiQuote.

That is exactly right. Lol I just can't figure out what is going wrong here. I am using the latest version of IE for the browser on a pretty new computer. I'm a young (at least I consider 30 pretty young still lol) tech savvy guy. But just can't get it going on here lol. I guess I can try it on my laptop soon or even using the Google Chrome browser. If I can't get it workig right, I guess I will just have to post a million different times. Or just do a lot of copy/pasting and working the quote tags the long way to make my own multi-quote lol.

1. If you go to the Getting Started forum you will see a topic pinned at the top called 'Avatar testing and instructions'.

2. If I look at your geocaching profile (by clicking your name next to your forum post) I can see all the usual details as one can see on any cacher's public profile. As well as the front profile pagewhich shows your Texas state symbol, there are tabs I can click to show me which caches you've found, Challenges, Trackables, etc etc

Hope that helps.

MrsB :)

The main caching site and the forums are on separate servers...

Often logging out of the FORUMS, then logging back in solves problems. :)

I finnally had a little time to get on here and look around a little more and figured it out. There was no way that it was getting done using my IE, so I went over and tried to use my Google Chrome browser and it works totally fine now...lol :) Thanks everyone!