Trackable Not There

stedmanrecon

Prolly seems like a dumb question, but how would I notify the cache owner (or trackable owner for that matter) that a trackable is not in the cache?

Basically, I have located two caches that the website and app both said there was one or two Travel Bugs in them. After locating them, there wasn't any in there. Is there any way that us geocache searchers can delete the trackable that is showing on the particular cache from the website? Or would we need to notify the cache owner or the trackable owner to let them know that the trackable is not there?

What do you do for this situation?

Thank you very much!

There's no way that you, as a cacher who finds the cache, can delete the trackable that is listed as being there - only the trackable owner, or the cache owner can do that.

The two things you can do are

a.) Record in your log that the trackable was not there. Mention it by name (or its TB public reference number) so that it's clear to which trackable you refer.

It's extra helpful if you can also

b.) Go to the trackable's home page and put a Note log there to let the owner know that you did not see their trackable in the cache.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Prolly seems like a dumb question, but how would I notify the cache owner (or trackable owner for that matter) that a trackable is not in the cache?

Basically, I have located two caches that the website and app both said there was one or two Travel Bugs in them. After locating them, there wasn't any in there. Is there any way that us geocache searchers can delete the trackable that is showing on the particular cache from the website? Or would we need to notify the cache owner or the trackable owner to let them know that the trackable is not there?

Thank you very much!

Not a dumb question at all, and thank you for taking an interest in the trackables. Here's what you can do:

1. Mention in your cache log that the trackables--by name!-- are not there.

2. Post a note to the trackable's page that it is not in the cache where it is listed.

If these two steps do not result in any action, and if you feel like following up on the matter:

3. Send a separate email to the trackable's owner that it is not in the cache where it is listed.

4. Send a separate email to the cache owner that the trackables--again by name!-- are not in the cache.

Edit: Mrs B types faster than I do. And better, too.

Edited by NanCycle

Might not want to jump the gun there. There's always the chance that someone found a trackable and took it before you got there, and hadn't logged it yet.

Yep, before I mention that a trackable might be missing, I always do some detective work first. How long has the trackable been listed in that cache? How many people have found the cache since then? Did any previous logs mention the trackable being present/missing?

If the trackable was only recently put there, but it isn't there now, odds are that someone has grabbed it and just hasn't had time to log it yet. I only mention that a trackable might be missing if it hasn't had any activity for a few months and many people have found the cache in that time.

Might not want to jump the gun there. There's always the chance that someone found a trackable and took it before you got there, and hadn't logged it yet.

Yea, I was kind of figuring that something like that would possibly be the case. However, I did look at the logs for both trackables and the last time there was any logging activity was back in January 2010. There was even a couple of other "logs" where people had said that the items had been lost.

I kind of figured that since it is coming up on three years, the trackable wasn't really just on someone's dresser waiting to be passed along. Generally, what is the "accepted" time frame to go ahead and say that the trackable is lost or gone totally?

1. Mention in your cache log that the trackables--by name!-- are not there.

2. Post a note to the trackable's page that it is not in the cache where it is listed.

In regards to:

#1- If I have already done my "Found It" log for the cahce, can I go back and edit the "message" that I posted with the log so that I can include that the trackables were not in there?

#2- I haven't logged or found any trackables yet, so is below the process that I would go through to post a note to the trackable (and also log that I found the trackable when I do find one in the future)?

1- Go to the trackable page

2- Enter in the trackable number (TBXXXXX) and click "Track"

3- After the particular trackable's page loads, look to the right in the section called "Trackable Options", and click on "Found it? Log it!"

4- In the drop down menu for "Type of Log", select "Write Note"

4a- If I did find the trackable, I would select from the list "Retrieve from..."

5- Fill out the rest of the information on the page and submit

Is that the correct process for both actions?

If I did go through this process of logging/writing a note, would that be posted for everyone to see and track or would it be like a "Field Note" that only I can see when I am on my computer?

If I did all this (Retrieved), would that mean that when anyone looks up the particular trackable, they would see that it is in my inventory?

If I have retrieved a multiple caches without dropping any off, is there a way that I can see all the ones that are still linked to me in my inventory?

Can someone also go through the process of what I would to do log that I have dropped off a trackable in a new cache? I didn't see a "Drop Off" option anywhere.

Again, sorry for all the questions all at once. Just wanting to get the answers and ask the questions as they come to me so that I don't forget them haha. Thank you to everyone that has answered.

Generally, what is the "accepted" time frame to go ahead and say that the trackable is lost or gone totally?

Different people will give different answers, so it's hard to give you a hard number here. Almost 3 years is definitely long enough, though! Personally, I'd say several months is long enough, but that's just me.

If I have already done my "Found It" log for the cahce, can I go back and edit the "message" that I posted with the log so that I can include that the trackables were not in there?

Yes, but the owner won't get another email. They'll only see your statement about the trackable if they visit the cache page and notice your edited log. Logging a note would probably work better.

I haven't logged or found any trackables yet, so is below the process that I would go through to post a note to the trackable (and also log that I found the trackable when I do find one in the future)?

Is that the correct process for both actions?

Yep, that all looks right.

If I did go through this process of logging/writing a note, would that be posted for everyone to see and track or would it be like a "Field Note" that only I can see when I am on my computer?

It's just like any other log on the cache page, just with the title "Write note" and a different icon. Everyone can see it.

If I did all this (Retrieved), would that mean that when anyone looks up the particular trackable, they would see that it is in my inventory?

Yes. When viewing that trackable's page, its location would be listed as "In the hands of stedmanrecon".

If I have retrieved a multiple caches without dropping any off, is there a way that I can see all the ones that are still linked to me in my inventory?

Yes, there are a few places to check this:

Your Trackables Inventory - Pretty self-explanatory

Your Trackable Item Details - On the right side below the calendar, titled "Your Inventory"

Your Profile - On the right side below all the other links under the heading "Your Inventory"

Note that all 3 of these can be accessed from your profile page.

Can someone also go through the process of what I would to do log that I have dropped off a trackable in a new cache? I didn't see a "Drop Off" option anywhere.

Once you've got a trackable in your inventory, you'll see more options on the log page. When you log your find, scroll down to the bottom of the log page. Below the "Log options" section ("Encrypt this log entry", "Add a coordinate to this log", etc.) you'll see another section titled "Dropped off any Trackables?" with a list of the trackables in your inventory and a dropdown beside each. If you're dropping a trackable in that cache, you'll choose "Dropped Off" from the relevant dropdown. If you just want to record a trackable's visit to the cache, but didn't actually leave it in that cache, you can choose "Visited".

Again, sorry for all the questions all at once.

Not a problem. A lot of people don't log trackables correctly and it just turns into a big mess. It's great that you're asking the questions before you do anything with trackables so you can do it right when you do! :lol:

If you're dropping a trackable in that cache, you'll choose "Dropped Off" from the relevant dropdown. If you just want to record a trackable's visit to the cache, but didn't actually leave it in that cache, you can choose "Visited".

Okay, so for the "Visit".... That means I can carry a trackable and go find a cache, but don't leave it in that cache (because it is too small or because I don't want to just yet), that means that the trackable is just "visiting" that cache. When I do find a cache that I want to drop it off at, I log the drop off?

Also, can you walk me through using your multiquote process on here in the forums? I know how to use the tool in other forums that I am a member off, but for some reason I cannon get it to work on here. Especially, trying to quote things from different two or three different users all in one post.

Okay, so for the "Visit".... That means I can carry a trackable and go find a cache, but don't leave it in that cache (because it is too small or because I don't want to just yet), that means that the trackable is just "visiting" that cache. When I do find a cache that I want to drop it off at, I log the drop off?

Yep, that's right. Keep in mind that some cachers don't like seeing their trackable visiting a ton of caches because they feel it clutters up their trackable page. Check a trackable's page before you do so to see if the owner has left explicit instructions not to do so.

As for the forum issues, that's probably best covered over in the other discussion.

You know, a lot of this will become apparent to you once you find a trackable in a cache and go through the logging procedure.

One of the most important things that I try and stress to new cachers is when you find any trackable in a cache make a note of the tracking number on it there and then - either jot it down in a note book or take a photo* of it for later reference. Most of the forum posts about problems and mistakes with retrieving/dropping off trackables can be solved as long as you keep note of that vital tracking number.

One of the most common mistakes is when a new cacher picks up a trackable at a cache: They put it in their bag and continue caching. Later that day they've gone some miles and decide to drop the item off in a suitable cache. They're pleased to have moved it some distance and they've done well because they haven't kept it too long...

When they get home to do the logging for the day they realise that they can't move that trackable along on-line because they forgot to make a note of the tracking number. :(

MrsB

*This is for your reference only: You mustn't add photgraphs of trackable items to your logs if the tracking number shows in the photo.

Yep, that's right. Keep in mind that some cachers don't like seeing their trackable visiting a ton of caches because they feel it clutters up their trackable page. Check a trackable's page before you do so to see if the owner has left explicit instructions not to do so.

As for the forum issues, that's probably best covered over in the other discussion.

This is fine if your intention is to eventually drop it off somewhere. I have seen people take someone elses TB and do this for months, even years, visiting thousands of caches, presumably to track their own caching mileage through the other persons TB.

Thank you very much!

You may leave a Note on the TB page (just like any other TB log, but no Tracking Number is needed). Adding the info in your cache log is also valuable (or as mentioned, in a separate Note if you've already posted the cache log). And there's another consideration.

When I see a few Trackables listed in an easy cache, that's a huge red flag. If I see that in advance, I might spend a little time on an inventory of the contents (small tags might be loose under all the junk), and log that "I saw no Trackables". And I won't place a Trackable there. If the CO or TB Owners have been dilligent in removing the info that Trackables are missing, I'll rely on how trashy the contents look, or how sad the cache seems in general, when deciding to leave a Trackable.

I like accuracy in the list, but if the TO doesn't want to mark it "missing", and the CO doesn't care much about their cache anymore, it provides a convenient clue to not leave a Trackable, since it's likely to immediately vanish just like the rest.

Edited by kunarion

Keep in mind that some cachers don't like seeing their trackable visiting a ton of caches because they feel it clutters up their trackable page. Check a trackable's page before you do so to see if the owner has left explicit instructions not to do so.

Please explain to me how I"m supposed to check a trackable's page when I pull a trackable out of a cache50-60 miles from town? Not everyone has a smartphone and smartphones don't work when there is no 3G service.

Keep in mind that some cachers don't like seeing their trackable visiting a ton of caches because they feel it clutters up their trackable page. Check a trackable's page before you do so to see if the owner has left explicit instructions not to do so.
Please explain to me how I"m supposed to check a trackable's page when I pull a trackable out of a cache50-60 miles from town? Not everyone has a smartphone and smartphones don't work when there is no 3G service.
Unless there is a tag with a goal attached to the trackable, I always assume that it has the default goal of just visiting caches.

I'm trying to figure out what that reply has to do with the message. If you don't have a smartphone, you're not going to log the TB as "visiting a ton of caches" until you get home and presumably read the TB's page where it's asking you not to do so.

I'm using the term "visiting" in the context of its current usage on this site, as a replacement for the old "dipping". I'm not saying you shouldn't move the trackable, but rather that some people don't like seeing their TB being dipped in hundreds of caches.

We used to just mention in our log that we found no trackables but then we realized that unless the owner of the trackable had a watch on that cache listing that their trackable was supposed to be in that they probably wouldn't get the message. So now if we see that a trackable is MIA we go to the trackable's home page and post a note that it was not found in the inventory it was listed in. This way the owner gets an email that a note was posted and they can see what's going on.