Log Cache and Tackable Together?

stedmanrecon

Just started Geocaching, and still learning about the website, app, and geocaching all together. I have a question, and I think that it will be best asked with a scenario:

Say, I go looking for a nearby geocache and find it. When I look inside I see a trackable of some sort. After I make it back to my truck and use my phone (iPhone 4S with the geocaching app) to log that I found the cache, do I need to make a seperate log each for finding the cache and also one for picking up the trackable? Or do I need to log that I found the cache and send it, and then do some other logging thing for the trackable itself?

I guess I would like to pose the same question, only in reverse. Meaning, if I have a trackable that I found recently and I just dropped it off at cache that I just found, do I do just one log for the cache that I found and one for the trackable, or logging both at the same time basically?

If possible, could someone give me a numbered step by step process of of what I should do if I do find a cache with a trackable in it? (And possibly one for when I am going to drop off the trackable in another cache?)

Thank you very much!

Yes, you need separate logs for finding the cache and for retrieving (or grabbing) the trackable.

Later, when you log your find on the cache where you dropped the trackable, you can select either "Dropped Off" or "Visited" for each of the trackables you have previously retrieved (or grabbed).

FWIW, the distinction between "retrieve" and "grab" is that you retrieve a trackable from a cache, but you grab a trackable from another geocacher (or from "an unknown location", if it was missing).

Yes, you need separate logs for finding the cache and for retrieving (or grabbing) the trackable.

Later, when you log your find on the cache where you dropped the trackable, you can select either "Dropped Off" or "Visited" for each of the trackables you have previously retrieved (or grabbed).

FWIW, the distinction between "retrieve" and "grab" is that you retrieve a trackable from a cache, but you grab a trackable from another geocacher (or from "an unknown location", if it was missing).

Remember too.... not everyone uses a smartphone so if you end up having to "grab" a TB from another cacher, and you found the TB in a cache, it is very possible that the TB was recently placed and the cacher hasn't had a chance to log it in. Give the other person time to drop the TB into the cache.

But, if they have logged their find, they have had time to loge the trackable.

If you have to grab it from them, do it.

I usually send a message to the person holding it to ask what they are doing.

If you do have to grab it, make sure you dip it in that cache to properly record the trackable's visit there.

Thanks a lot, ya'll. Very helpful.

Also, I did find my first trackable about two days ago. Actually, it was two trackables. What is the proper "etiquette", if you will, of finding more than one trackable in a cache? Should the person just take one out and leave the other for another cacher to come by and find? Or should the person go ahead and take both so that they can both be moved along?

Thanks a lot, ya'll. Very helpful.

Also, I did find my first trackable about two days ago. Actually, it was two trackables. What is the proper "etiquette", if you will, of finding more than one trackable in a cache? Should the person just take one out and leave the other for another cacher to come by and find? Or should the person go ahead and take both so that they can both be moved along?

There's no "rule" or even rule of etiquette against taking more than one. Just be sure to log them and move them along as soon as you can. I for sure would take them both (and have taken more than one many times.)

There's no "rule" or even rule of etiquette against taking more than one. Just be sure to log them and move them along as soon as you can. I for sure would take them both (and have taken more than one many times.)

Thank you. Yea, so far I have been carrying them with me to other caches that I have found, but they were caches that were too small for me to put the trackable into, so I just did the "Visited" thing to track that the trackables were there. I have been going every day or two around here to places that the trackables haven't been, and still no change in being able to find a larger sized container even though on the app I believe that it shows a normal or large containre, but I find a nano sitting there. Oh well... lol

I will be going down to Galveston, TX this for the whole weekend in a day or two. Neither of the trackables have been down there yet, so pretty excited to drop them off there.