Upload GPX... please tell me that's being fixed

kozayagi

Seems to be missing, unless I overlooked where it's normally kept. The Frog has been telling me for a while that this functionality (which once upon a brief time worked fine) is being worked on. I was really hoping that last night's maintenance had something to do with that (amongst other things).

I can't stress enough: "Corrected coordinates" is NOT to be thought of as a replacement for me being able to upload a custom GPX from GSAK and then back into my iPhone as a PQ.

Wait... can the geacaching app on iPhone open a locally saved GPX? Didn't think it could??

No, it can't. I'm not sure what Potato Finder is referring to.

As for the GPX upload page, that finally went away. The functionality was turned off about a year ago, but the page was still there and confusing members for a long time after that, even though TPTB said the functionality wouldn't be coming back. After repeated posts in the forums and an email to contact@geocaching.com, they finally removed the non-functional page.

The Wherigo app allows you to import files through iTunes. I'm really not sure why they haven't done the same with the Geocaching app. That would seem to me to be a workable solution. I wonder if they even considered this. I'll go suggest it now to see if they'll consider adding this to the app.

Wait... can the geacaching app on iPhone open a locally saved GPX? Didn't think it could??

No, it can't. I'm not sure what Potato Finder is referring to.

As for the GPX upload page, that finally went away. The functionality was turned off about a year ago, but the page was still there and confusing members for a long time after that, even though TPTB said the functionality wouldn't be coming back. After repeated posts in the forums and an email to contact@geocaching.com, they finally removed the non-functional page.

The Wherigo app allows you to import files through iTunes. I'm really not sure why they haven't done the same with the Geocaching app. That would seem to me to be a workable solution. I wonder if they even considered this. I'll go suggest it now to see if they'll consider adding this to the app.

Awesome. And if they're wondering why some of us insist on using GSAK to sort our caches... tell them to try it! There's NO comparison. The filtering and RegEx and Macro support, etc. It's definitely the tool of choice at our household.

You know what would easily solve this...? Allowing the creation of a bookmark list from a LOC file. That way I could dump a LOC out of GSAK, and in GC.com I could turn that into a list, which I would then bump out as a Pocket Query. That would work. Similar to the way you can suck in a GPX (or KML) to make a route.

Is there functionality that I'm unaware of that allows the compilation of a list more easily, instead of one cache at a time?

Edited by kozayagi

Is there functionality that I'm unaware of that allows the compilation of a list more easily, instead of one cache at a time?

If you're using GSAK 8, it has the ability to use the API to interface with the website. You can go to the "Geocaching.com Access" menu, then "Add to bookmark list" to add caches in bulk to a bookmark list.

If you're using GSAK 8, it has the ability to use the API to interface with the website. You can go to the "Geocaching.com Access" menu, then "Add to bookmark list" to add caches in bulk to a bookmark list.

ding ding. That's how I often share trip targets with non GSAK folks; GSAK-> bookmark list via the API. They can then download their own PQs.

Most of the android caching apps can work with native gpx files. Cachesense, for example, can even sync with your dropbox account to grab gpx files from there.