[BUG] Have to Keep Logging In

Spikester1

Good evening.

I cannot log into geocaching it keeps saying my password and name are not correct.

since i have had this on auto fill for a long time i was not sure what happened.

I requested my cache name and the response sent me was

Spikester1

I have never capitalized the cache name, it has always been lower case spikester1

I changed my password and still could not get in..

When i try to type in the Capital S int the log in box, it auto corrects to lower case which it has always been.. so i am thinking that is why i cannot access my account.

your help would be appreciated. spike

I cant keep logged in. I have to everyday. I have saved my profile page as a bookmark and when I go to that page, the page it sends me to log into will not accept my name and password. I have to go to another page where the sign in is in the upper right of the page and then it will work.

Edit: I cleared my cookies and it seems to have cured it for me. At least for today,

Edited by IBcrashen

I cant keep logged in. I have to everyday. I have saved my profile page as a bookmark and when I go to that page, the page it sends me to log into will not accept my name and password. I have to go to another page where the sign in is in the upper right of the page and then it will work.

Edit: I cleared my cookies and it seems to have cured it for me. At least for today,

same here! about a week or 2 now.

google chrome. often when pages left open with multiple tabs also ... click to refresh page and get "sign in" prompt.

For the past two days, we have had to log in to the site every single time we go on. Happens on both our laptops and on the android tablet. In fact, on the tablet, if we open up something else and then come back to geocaching.com, even after a minute, we are no longer logged in. This is not normal. Help?

If you are logging in on multiple devices and checking "remember me" to create a cookie, logging in on the second device will invalidate the cookie on the first one and require you to log in again.

Are you sure about this? I'm currently logged in on 4 different devices (3 computers and my iPhone), and I ticked "Remember me" on each. Each one is remembering that I'm logged in and has been for weeks. If I log out on any of these, they'll all log out, but logging in doesn't seem to affect the others (even when ticking the box).

If you are logging in on multiple devices and checking "remember me" to create a cookie, logging in on the second device will invalidate the cookie on the first one and require you to log in again.

Are you sure about this? I'm currently logged in on 4 different devices (3 computers and my iPhone), and I ticked "Remember me" on each. Each one is remembering that I'm logged in and has been for weeks. If I log out on any of these, they'll all log out, but logging in doesn't seem to affect the others (even when ticking the box).

I agree. If what Moun10Bike is saying is true, then that is something completely new. We have been logged in every day, almost all day, on two laptops and an Adroid tablet for several years and sometimes even our phone, and have NEVER had one log in affect any of the others. Telling me it is a problem with how we are logging in is not solving the problem.

Up until this started two days ago, we have RARELY ever had to log in on any of the computers when we turn them on every day, with the exception of the occasional clearing our cookies or if the website has done an update. Each of the computers remembers us when we turn them on, and stay logged in.

So...that is not the problem. Would really like to know how to fix this.

Yes, my mistake - I meant to say that logging *out* on the second device will invalidate the cookie on the first.

steben6, please write to contact@geocaching.com for personalized troubleshooting on your issue. It is not a site-wide problem as we are not seeing other reports of it, and such troubleshooting is not very efficient in the forums.

We've also been having this problem for a couple of days. I log in, the "remember me" button is clicked, and I don't log out when I leave the site. But the next time I open the page I have to log in again. We have never had this issue before. It's not the biggest deal in the world but it is slightly annoying to have to log in every single time I open the page which can be a few times a day.

Yes, my mistake - I meant to say that logging *out* on the second device will invalidate the cookie on the first.

steben6, please write to contact@geocaching.com for personalized troubleshooting on your issue. It is not a site-wide problem as we are not seeing other reports of it, and such troubleshooting is not very efficient in the forums.

I do not have a problem with contacting geocaching.com directly. I am not trying to be a problem, but there are obviously other people who are having the same issue, so it is not just us. We have another friend who is experiencing the same problem but doesn't ever go to the forums. Just wondering how many have to report the problem before it is recognized as something that needs looking at on the Groundspeak end? We have cleared our cookies on all our devices numerous times and we are still experiencing the problem.

I am having an extremely difficult time logging in as well. It's got to be this site's issue as so many people are suffering from it. I cannot log in at all from the home screen. I CAN log in in the drop down box in the upper right corner, but it doesn't hold. I walk away and come back an hour later and I have to log in AGAIN.

This problem is continuing on our Motorola Zoom. Have to log in every time we go to the site. Then we have to log in again if we bring up a cache. The caches open in a different tab and we have to log in again, even though we are still logged into the main page on a different tab. Have to log in again if we bring up another cache. Just doesn't seem to keep us logged in. Can't log in at all if I open a link to TB from a watchlist email. The problem is a bit better on our laptop, but we still have to log in every day.

I've also been having this annoying problem for a while now so finally checking the forums for a fix. I'm guessing there isn't one yet. I can stay logged in and move from page to page for a while, but if I get a mail notification and click a link to visit a page from the notification, then I am required to log in again. So I log in again, view the page, perhaps look at it on a map, then go to my next e-mail. Click the link in the e-mail and I have to log in again. For the last weeks, I have probably logged in 30 or 40 times a day. This has never been necessary in the previous years that I have been a member. Is anyone looking into this?

Please clarify whether or not you have tried clearing your browser cache and cookies.

<sheepishly admits> No, I had not cleared that stuff. Never have in 34 years of being on-line. I didn't want to do it since I lost my browsing history also, but it DOES seem to be working correctly now and if I only have to do it every 30 years or so, I guess it won't be that bad. <grin>

I was directing my question to Ragfoot and others who have posted here without indicating if they had cleared cookies/cache in the browser.

For those of you who are reluctant to purge this data, you can do it in steps. I would initially try just removing the geocaching.com cookie, which will not affect browser history or other log-ins. I would only clear all cookies and then the cache if the earlier steps had no effect.

steben6, it sounds to me what you have described with your Zoom is that it is not saving cookies. Have you confirmed that it is doing so?

So, last night before going to bed, I put my laptop to sleep. This morning I woke up my laptop, checked my mail, then went to a geocaching.com window that I had open from yesterday and chose to change a map view. I ended up with a blank screen. So, I went to another open geocaching.com window that I had open to a different map and clicked on one of the cache icons. The cache page opened and I was invited to "join now to view geocache location details. It's free!"

Is clearing browser cache and cookies something that needs to be done daily?

BTW, I was still logged in to the forum.

No, you shouldn't need to clear your cookies again. However, there are a lot of factors at play which make it hard to remotely determine what might be happening. Do you run any Internet security software that might periodically clear cookies from your machine? Is your browser set to purge cookies when shut down, and does this occur when your computer goes to sleep? Are you logging in and out of geocaching from another device?

No, you shouldn't need to clear your cookies again. However, there are a lot of factors at play which make it hard to remotely determine what might be happening. Do you run any Internet security software that might periodically clear cookies from your machine? Is your browser set to purge cookies when shut down, and does this occur when your computer goes to sleep? Are you logging in and out of geocaching from another device?

No, I do not run Internet security software or any other software that periodically clears cookies from my computer. (note that I was still logged into the forum when I "woke" the computer) My browser is not set to purge cookies when shut down and I always have a dozen browser windows open at all times (mostly geocaching.com windows). I'm using Firefox 16.0.1 and the only time it gets shut down is when I'm required to reboot the computer due to Microsoft updates (and it normally remembers all of my open windows on restart). I never log out of geocaching since I am the only one using my devices. BTW, I have been having the problem on both my laptop and my desktop computers. I cleared the cookies and cache from both machines yesterday. My desktop computer did NOT require me to log in again this morning. I don't know if it matters, but just noticed that I am running Firefox 15.0.1 on that computer. But, it is my laptop that I am using to respond and was still logged into the forum.

The forums are a completely different animal - they are operated using third-party software. I would like to figure out why you are having to log back in on the main site, though, and am wondering if it has to do with the fact that you are using 2 separate devices (laptop and desktop). One should not affect the other unless you are logging out of one, but perhaps there is some unexpected behavior taking place around that. Please let me know if this issue persists.

The problem still persists for us on our Motorola Zoom. We checked and it is set up to remember cookies and passwords. Always has been. We are normally logged into the zoom plus two laptops all day every day for the past three plus years . We never log out and we've never had the problem before. It us primarily the zoom that is affected and we have to sign in on it many, many, many times every day now.. we still have to sign in on the laptops sporadically but not like we do on the zoom. Have to sign in on that every time we open a new cache or trackable page even though we are signed in on another tab. We also do not have a program that automatically clears our browser cookies. We do that periodically manually.

I was hopeing that last night's update might cure the login problem, it did not. Our laptop stays logged into GC with no problem, however the desktop needs to be logged in every time the browser is restarted. I have repeatedly cleared the cache and cookies using both the IE tools and an option on our security software; neither of these proceedures are automatic, I have to initiate them. How do I locate just the GC cookies, to verify that they are being cleared?

I found the directions on how to locate individual cookies. I used IE tools, with all the options selected, to clear the cache. There were still two GC cookies left, I deleted both of them. I then closed and reopened the browser, and logged into GC (remember me was selected). Closed and reopened the browser again, GC did not remember me and there were no GC cookies in the history.

Additionally, I changed to IE "Privacy" setting to low, allow all cookies. Logged into GC, closed and reopened the browser. Nothing changed. Also tried to add GC to my list of allowed sites.

Edited by Wild Bill and Jabber