Groundspeak Shutting Down Tonight?

knowschad

It has been pointed out to this Facebookless geocacher that a Groundspeak downtime notice was posted on Jeremy's Facebook page, but as of yet, there is no banner on the geocaching.com pages. Is this deliberate, or simply an oversight?

Jeremy Irish · 4,718 like this2 hours ago ·

We have some major infrastructure work planned tonight at 6pm Pacific that will last for under 4 hours. This will disrupt the site and applications during this time.

Edited by knowschad

It has been pointed out to this Facebookless geocacher that a Groundspeak downtime notice was posted on Jeremy's Facebook page, but as of yet, there is no banner on the geocaching.com pages. Is this deliberate, or simply an oversight?

We have some major infrastructure work planned tonight at 6pm Pacific that will last for under 4 hours. This will disrupt the site and applications during this time.

Doesn't everyone have Facebook? And read Jeremy's page religiously?

(And that was sarcasm in case not everyone caught it)

Doesn't everyone have Facebook? And read Jeremy's page religiously?

(And that was sarcasm in case not everyone caught it)

Would not know, I am one of his possible dozens of facebook friend requests forever in never accepted land.

I see a banner when I log in to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/default.aspx :

At approximately 6:00pm (GMT -7) Geocaching.com and all mobile applications will undergo scheduled maintenance. The downtime window is expected to last 4 hours. To pass the time we recommend visiting our YouTube channel or Facebook page.

B.

I see a banner when I log in to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/default.aspx :

At approximately 6:00pm (GMT -7) Geocaching.com and all mobile applications will undergo scheduled maintenance. The downtime window is expected to last 4 hours. To pass the time we recommend visiting our YouTube channel or Facebook page.

B.

Yes, but the banner came up around 1:30pm my time or so. In fact, the banner came up after this thread was made.

Edited by SwineFlew

In fact, the banner came up after this thread was made.

smiley_emoticons_doh.gif "I knew we forgot something!"

I wonder that as well, but I dont know.

Either this downtime has been planned for a while and they forgot to alert the public, or this was a short-notice decision and they notified us as soon as they could after that decision.

I'm hoping it's the latter and not the former...

Well, I saw the banner first thing when I signed on about an hour ago... :blink:

New avatar=someone's birthday?? :unsure:

Mayyyy.... BE!

Perhaps they are shutting down to fix issues with the banner. :D

:lol: Perfect!

I see a banner when I log in to http://www.geocachin...ek/default.aspx :

B.

Yeah, now.

Perfect night for it, at least. We'll all be glued to our TV sets, won't we?

Either this downtime has been planned for a while and they forgot to alert the public, or this was a short-notice decision and they notified us as soon as they could after that decision.

I've noticed the frog holds the cards pretty close to the chest. They probably have been planning this for a while, but since there were no really major problems, except for the usual Sunday snail races, they didn't say anything until today when they knew it was a go. And today is Tuesday, the normal day for mucking with the bits and hardware.

I've noticed the frog holds the cards pretty close to the chest. They probably have been planning this for a while, but since there were no really major problems, except for the usual Sunday snail races, they didn't say anything until today when they knew it was a go. And today is Tuesday, the normal day for mucking with the bits and hardware.

FWIW: Microsoft didn't have any XP updates today. Do you suppose they coordinate those things with Groundspeak?

FWIW: Microsoft didn't have any XP updates today. Do you suppose they coordinate those things with Groundspeak?

No, Microsoft issues XP updates on Thursday. I heard a rumor that they are planning to go to annual updates on XP on groundhog day. Not sure why they chose groundhog day.

Yep, the picture thing isnt working anymore. Panic everybody panic!

It seems that the image server is down.

:shocked:

The whole thing is rather odd and I'm guessing unexpected. They usually do this early in the day so they have the rest of the day to fix what they broke in the process.

Don't forget that Groundspeak is a business and doesn't really care about its user base. The oversight on the notification reinforces that they cater primarily to their advertizing partners and not those interested in playing the game itself...don't be mad at them... :(

Darn. And I thought that it was us that list geocaches and pay to be a PM here? :unsure:

No, Microsoft issues XP updates on Thursday. I heard a rumor that they are planning to go to annual updates on XP on groundhog day. Not sure why they chose groundhog day.

Patch Tuesday in my world. Even with XP.

Not seeing avatars here either.

I'm seeing some, not others. Tried to change mine, but none of the uploaded ones show up. Gallery pics are gone now, too. Looks like either a server is down, or was renamed to something other than what is stored in the database for the pictures. Either way, somebody over there is glad that "bads" have been invented, because they just had one.