Survey Disk found, not listed...how do I log?

Nat Sherman

Hi all, yesterday found a survey disk on a bridge in Rhea County, TN. However, when I looked on the NSG site, the closest benchmark is half a mile away and there is no benchmark listed on or near the bridge. How do I go about logging this somewhere/anywhere? There is no date on the TVA survey disk. Thanks for your help!

Hi all, yesterday found a survey disk on a bridge in Rhea County, TN. However, when I looked on the NSG site, the closest benchmark is half a mile away and there is no benchmark listed on or near the bridge. How do I go about logging this somewhere/anywhere? There is no date on the TVA survey disk. Thanks for your help!

If it is not in the Database provided by Groundspeak which has not been updated in many years I don't think you can claim a find on it. I download the loc file of all the benchmarks close to the caches I find to help build my benchmark database. When I find a benchmark I will note the coordinates so I can find it easier in my database and if it is not the database I forget about it.

Thanks, LSUFan...that site is helpful but because I don't have an official benchmark number/name/designation, still not sure how to log it even on the waymark site. Thoughts?

It tells how to log them on the Waymarking site for US Benchmarks, copied below. Since you are not logging one in a known database, then only the parts in bold will apply to yours:

Instructions for Posting a U.S. Benchmarks Waymark:

As of 2/1/2010, the following change is in effect. There are also thousands of things like nails or wood stakes with painted triangles, small round washers, disks less than 2 inches in diameter, survey ribbon, and the like, making it obvious that the marker is a survey point, but this category will not include them. These items that were waymarked prior to 2/1/2010 are grandfathered.

A closeup photo of the disk is required.

A second photo taken a few feet from the disk with the disk in view is a very welcome addition!

A description of how to locate the disk is required in the Long Description field. This is particularly important for those marks not listed in an online database.

Example: 14 feet NE of a 4-inch oak tree and 7 feet W of the face of the curb of Main Street.

Example: 8 inches inside of the SW corner of the bridge.

Note: Only general detail is required if the position of the disk is made clear in the second photo.

Example: near the NW corner of the intersection of 7th Street and Maple Avenue.

Coordinates based on reading your GPS receiver are required. You must use either NAD83 or WGS84 datum.

-------------------------------------------

If you used an online database to find the mark, use either A or B below as applicable.

If you used an online database (Geocaching's, NGS, or a local database) that has an individual URL for each benchmark's datasheet, provide the URL of the benchmark's individual datasheet in the "Web address of this benchmark's datasheet" variable.

If you used an online local benchmark database that does not have an individual URL for each benchmark's datasheet, provide the URL of the database in the "Local database's URL" variable.

Edited by LSUFan

Thanks, LSUFan...that site is helpful but because I don't have an official benchmark number/name/designation, still not sure how to log it even on the waymark site. Thoughts?

You should be able to log it on the Waymarking site, by posting the gps coordinates of the mark along with a picture of it.

Oh, okay...will definitely try that this evening. So I'm assuming it won't have a formal benchmark designation (like FC1109 or something like that)? Excellent...thank you, again!

Oh, okay...will definitely try that this evening. So I'm assuming it won't have a formal benchmark designation (like FC1109 or something like that)? Excellent...thank you, again!

Correct. The PID used in the Geocaching website is exclusive to the NGS database and not used by any other organization.