annual muggling?

Take a look at this cache (mine):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9902e585-32a2-40c5-a6ae-1a535aa926d6

For the last 3 years (2012, 2011, 2010), the cache has gone missing around the beginning of October.

Around the beginning of October 2009, it appeared to go missing and then be returned. (The hide location is very obvious: a hole at the base of a tree)

Anybody else find this weird or am I just paranoid? :ph34r:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Anybody else find this weird or am I just paranoid? :ph34r:

It does seem a bit odd. I've found that one, and it isn't in an area where muggles or rowdy youth would normally be. I believe the first time I tried to find it was during the 2009 disappearance(?), and it definitely wasn't where we eventually found it a few months later.

Squirrels is the best theory so far. A squirrel with very consistent timing, anyway. :ph34r:

The hook is inside the hole in the tree, no it's not being removed. Can't imagine any reason a gardener would reach in there, but you never know.

This made me chuckle. I've probed many a tree pre-geocaching. Well-maintained trees get regular checkups for health. Holes can reveal rot, disease damage, etc. They may be annually checking for structural problems prior to winter storms.

Squirrels is the best theory so far. A squirrel with very consistent timing, anyway. :ph34r:

The hook is inside the hole in the tree, no it's not being removed. Can't imagine any reason a gardener would reach in there, but you never know.

This made me chuckle. I've probed many a tree pre-geocaching. Well-maintained trees get regular checkups for health. Holes can reveal rot, disease damage, etc. They may be annually checking for structural problems prior to winter storms.

Tree proctology? :blink:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Tree proctology? :blink:

What a coincidence! There's a cache named exactly that near here:

Tree Proctology

The platinum membership allows cachers to temporarailly turn random caches into traveling caches for the pleasure of other platinum memnbers. The cache is supposed to removed on or after 01 October (midnight) and returned on or after 10/32 (Platinum member halloween leap day, November 1 to the rest of you). If your cache isn't being returned I suggest yuou contact your platinum member concierge for further information. ...oops, was only supposed to share with platinum members...... Never mind. Please ignore.

I had one nice cache which I eventually gave up on because the squirrel had more time than I.

The platinum membership allows cachers to temporarailly turn random caches into traveling caches for the pleasure of other platinum memnbers. The cache is supposed to removed on or after 01 October (midnight) and returned on or after 10/32 (Platinum member halloween leap day, November 1 to the rest of you). If your cache isn't being returned I suggest yuou contact your platinum member concierge for further information. ...oops, was only supposed to share with platinum members...... Never mind. Please ignore.

I thought 10/32 was squirrel caching day!? I usually bait up an ammo can with acorns around mid October to catch mine.

You platinum members are such elitest snobs. :mad: