Moving a cache from muggles

medoug

I recently needed to move one of my caches to a new hiding place because it had been muggled twice in the last 5 months. When I updated the coordinates for the cache, it created an on-line log which listed the old and new coordinates and distance moved. I have no problem with this type of log being generated and visible to geocaching members, but I wish it wasn't visible to non-members (confirmed by viewing the cache listing without signing on).

With almost everyone having internet access and smartphones with GPS these days, it seems like making the new coordinates visible to non-members is putting my moved cache at additional risk of being muggled again. Typically geocache coordinates are not visible to non-members, so why would the coordinates be visible to non-members in the on-line logs? This seems like something that should be "fixed" on the "update coordinates" function at geocaching.com.

And, "No", I don't want to change it to a premium-members-only cache because it is 1 of a series of 7 non-premium caches which require gathering information to find a bonus cache in the series. I want to keep the entire series available to general geocaching members.

medoug.

Edited by medoug

I'm not convinced that making the coordinate change log only visible to members would have any impact on a cache getting muggled.

The OP assumes that someone muggling a cache is going to the website, obtaining the coordinates, then using them with a GPS or smart phone to find the cache and take it. If someone is going to go to that trouble to find caches that they can muggled by going to the website, they're just going to create a basic member account. I suspect that almost all caches that are muggled are take by people that either stumbled upon the hide, or saw someone searching for the cache, and have no idea what the coordinates are.

I'm not convinced that making the coordinate change log only visible to members would have any impact on a cache getting muggled.

NYPaddleCacher,

I agree, but why even allow that slim chance for a tech-savy muggler to re-muggle.

Also, I was able to successfully delete the "Update Coordinates" log today, but yesterday I was unable to shortly after I created it. When I clicked on the "View/Edit Log/Images", my computer would just make dinging sounds. Perhaps there is a period of time required between posting an update coordinates log and being able to delete it.

Thanks all,

medoug.