allow to sort caches by size

Rachelboise

I just started geocaching with my kids and is finding that they are really motivated when they find something to bring back home and can leave their own thing in the cache. If we only do the smallest caches and do not bring anything back they do not want to go back for a while.

One big cache in a caching trip is enough, but I now make sure there is one.

It would be a lot easier to be able to sort caches by size for those going with young kids, or be able to identify them on a map. It keeps the motivation up for them.

Did anyone else have the same issue with their kids?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Rachelboise

I just started geocaching with my kids. It would be a lot easier to be able to sort caches by size.Did anyone else have the same issue with their kids?

Mama_Bear_Left's kids are grown up, and no grandkids yet, so we cache as a couple without kids, but for our own reasons we too far prefer larger caches. So we too strongly support this suggestion. And we'd like to add a plea to cache-placers:

"Please, don't waste good spots on nanos and micros. Use your imagination and craft and create a clever way of hiding a container eg inside a fake rock, a false post or a banksia cone that unscrews. Far more satisfying for both hider and finder."

In our book, the boring nanos and micros that are popping up everywhere in profusion generally lack the charm, cleverness and the challenge that make for a good caching experience. In many situations, a medium-sized cache would be totally possible. And as Rachelboise points out, the tinies do not tend to have space for the trinkets that so delight kiddie-cachers. Let's not let our wonderful sport degenerate to a numbers game.

In what context are you not able to sort caches by size, that you would like to?

When I create a PQ, I can choose what size caches are included. I would suggest getting your cache info via a PQ.

And, you can filter your PQ to only include caches that have the "Kid Friendly" attribute.

I just started geocaching with my kids and is finding that they are really motivated when they find something to bring back home and can leave their own thing in the cache. If we only do the smallest caches and do not bring anything back they do not want to go back for a while.

One big cache in a caching trip is enough, but I now make sure there is one.

It would be a lot easier to be able to sort caches by size for those going with young kids, or be able to identify them on a map. It keeps the motivation up for them.

Did anyone else have the same issue with their kids?

Thanks a lot!