Found a wet Log...What to do?

Fountain_Family

We Found a nice Cache today but the log was wet, what is the right thing to do in this situation? We closed the container and marked it as "Needs Maintenance" was this right?

That's fine. If I have a lot of time, and if it's a great place to hang out for a while (well of course it is or there wouldn't be a cache there :anibad:), and if it's a little sheet of paper on a warm, windy day, I sometimes dry it completely, then put it into a new ziplock bag, and dry off the other items. I still log the NM, due to the leak. If there are enclosed items that might get ruined by a soaking wet book, put the book by itself in a ziplock bag, so the rest of the things can stay dry. But it's often best to have the Cache Owner deal with it.

Did you make a separate "Found It" log? You should do both NM and Found logs.

Edited by kunarion

We Found a nice Cache today but the log was wet, what is the right thing to do in this situation? We closed the container and marked it as "Needs Maintenance" was this right?

That's fine. If I have a lot of time, and if it's a great place to hang out for a while (well of course it is or there wouldn't be a cache there :anibad:), and if it's a little sheet of paper on a warm, windy day, I sometimes dry it completely, then put it into a new ziplock bag, and dry off the other items. I still log the NM, due to the leak. If there are enclosed items that might get ruined by a soaking wet book, put the book by itself in a ziplock bag, so the rest of the things can stay dry. But it's often best to have the Cache Owner deal with it.

Did you make a separate "Found It" log? You should do both NM and Found logs.

I did not do a seperate log but I will now...Thanks!!

I carry a sack of spare logs.....I make various size logs using a spread sheet program....small ziplock bags can be purchased at craft shops like Michaels.

I've added/replaced hundreds of log sheets around the country as have other cachers.....its a great help to cache owners and to the community to assist in maint. in this way.....always try to carry spare logs.

If possible I simply add the new log to the cache.....if there is only room for one log I use the new one ( a soaked unreadable hunk of paper won't do the co any good)

I always carry a Sharpie which will write on just about anything.

I carry a sack of spare logs.....I make various size logs using a spread sheet program....small ziplock bags can be purchased at craft shops like Michaels.

I've added/replaced hundreds of log sheets around the country as have other cachers.....its a great help to cache owners and to the community to assist in maint. in this way.....always try to carry spare logs.

If possible I simply add the new log to the cache.....if there is only room for one log I use the new one ( a soaked unreadable hunk of paper won't do the co any good)

I always carry a Sharpie which will write on just about anything.

+1 -- Carry replacement caches, too. Always handy when the cache is missing a lid or has been run over by a truck.

+1 -- Carry replacement caches, too. Always handy when the cache is missing a lid or has been run over by a truck.

But you wouldn't put out a new container without the cache owners permission right? Just because you didn't find it doesn't mean it's not there.

I saw no mention of DID NOT FIND IT.

We also carry a small supply of logs in small baggies to replaace or supplement logs that in trouble. If we have our backpack with us at the cache, we can fix caches that have problems. Of course we advise the CO so they can take any action that they wish.