Android App not Displaying Cache Size

Jumpandjava

Recently I have noticed that while using the android app, the cache size is not being displayed. I could have sworn it used to. Does anyone know if this display has changed, or how can I get it back? I have tried looking in to the settings, but I am not finding anything to change.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My does not display. ShouldI reinstall it? If I do that, will I have to pay for the app again?

I just reinstalled the app and the geocache size still does not display. The phone had an upgrade a few days ago. Maybe with the upgrade it did something to the program. I do not know. Did I read somewhere that geocaching.com was releasing an upgrade later this month? Maybe when the program is upgraded, my problem will be solved. I am stumped. Any suggestions?

I assume we're talking about the "official" Groundspeak geocaching app on the Android platform here. I have version 2.3.1 (the latest version as far as I'm aware) installed on my Droid Bionic.

When I "Find Nearby Caches", each traditional cache in the list shows the same white-box-with-green-lid icon on the left. That icon is the same for all cache sizes.

To the right of that large icon is the cache name in bold. Below that on the next line is a little "compass" icon showing the general direction to the cache. To the right of the compass icon is a "scale bar" with five boxes that shows the size of the cache (left box = "micro"; right box = "large"; the last box is gray indicating unknown size). To the right of the "scale bar" is the GC code for the cache. The red arrow is pointing to the "scale bar" below:

cache%2520app%2520screen%2520shot.jpg

I stole the example from one of the screen shots on the Google Play page for the app.

None of this has changed since I installed the app more than a year ago.

To the OP: Are you not seeing the "scale bar" we're referring to?

--Larry

I am using these official app and I am a premium member. This cache size box used too come up, but no longer. My only thought is when Verizon sent out an update for my phone it did something too this app and the size is no longer displaying. When I open up the cache, the word" size" is displayed, but no box with the four sizes. Does that make any sense? If I can figure out how to do a "screen shot" I will post that so you can see what I am talking about.

Edited by Jumpandjava

I am using these official app and I am a premium member. This cache size box used too come up, but no longer. My only thought is when Verizon sent out an update for my phone it did something too this app and the size is no longer displaying. When I open up the cache, the word" size" is displayed, but no box with the four sizes. Does that make any sense? If I can figure out how to do a "screen shot" I will post that so you can see what I am talking about.

You mentioned "opening up the cache" in the app. From this, can we conclude that you're looking at the "Geocache Details" screen for a particular cache rather the the list of nearby caches? If so, does it look like the screenshot below? Can you see the "Size" entry the red arrow is pointing to?

ScreenShot001.jpg

--Larry

You mentioned "opening up the cache" in the app. From this, can we conclude that you're looking at the "Geocache Details" screen for a particular cache rather the the list of nearby caches? If so, does it look like the screenshot below? Can you see the "Size" entry the red arrow is pointing to?

ScreenShot001.jpg

--Larry

Here is what the screen looks like:

557633_377144179032554_1135013785_n.jpg

See how the word size is there, but the box showing cache size is not there? This is what I am talking about.

Your display is missing both the "Size" graphic (what we've been calling the "scale bar") and the "compass" icon at the beginning of the same line (it should appear before the "S 1.32 mi").

Based on this screen shot, you may indeed have found a bug of some sort, or an incompatibility with the updated OS on your phone. My Droid is running Android version 2.3.4, which I think is the latest non-beta version for my phone, and those icons show up as expected.

--Larry

Here is what the screen looks like:

557633_377144179032554_1135013785_n.jpg

See how the word size is there, but the box showing cache size is not there? This is what I am talking about.

Your display is missing both the "Size" graphic (what we've been calling the "scale bar") and the "compass" icon at the beginning of the same line (it should appear before the "S 1.32 mi").

Based on this screen shot, you may indeed have found a bug of some sort, or an incompatibility with the updated OS on your phone. My Droid is running Android version 2.3.4, which I think is the latest non-beta version for my phone, and those icons show up as expected.

--Larry

Mine is running version 2.3.1. Do you know how I can run an update for Geocaching to get the 2.3.4 version?

Those version numbers are close enough to cause confusion. :D

The latest version of the Geocaching app is 2.3.1, the same version as you have.

The version of the Android OS my phone is running is 2.3.4. Yours might be very different depending on what Android phone you have.

--Larry

Just a quick additional note: I thought that perhaps the particular cache you used in the screen shot might have something weird about it that caused those icons to not appear. I I displayed that cache in my app, and it displayed just fine (the "Size" graphic and "Compass" icon appeared as expected).

--Larry

Good News!

Geocache ran an update and I have all my information displaying again!

Thank you so much for trying to help me.

That's terrific, I'm glad they got that sorted out for you!

I got a bit of a surprise yesterday morning: Verizon updated the OS on my phone from Android 2.3.4 to 4.0.4 (that's quite a leap!). So far, other than looking and acting a bit differently, everything (including my geocaching apps) seems to have survived the changes. I'll know more when I actually use the apps in the field.

--Larry