First of Its Kind category variable addition or NEW category proposal?

I've come across a couple of plaques of late that mention 'Father of..' or 'Founder of...' in reference to originating a particular national monument or an invention. I'm wondering if plaques, monuments or other official dedications should be included as a new variable in the First of Its Kind category or do they deserve a category of its own?

I'm going to assume that since most waymarkers don't want redundancy or extra confusion when trying to waymark something like this, that any 'Father/Founder of..' (or Mother of...' for that matter) dedications should easily be an additional variable to the First of Its Kind category. But, if enough of these dedications exist worldwide, maybe a category dedicated to highlighting individuals who are credited for accomplishing something grandiose in their lives should exist?

Wikipedia includes a list of Father of/Mother of accomplishments in all areas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_considered_father_or_mother_of_a_field

If there was a category dedicated to these individuals, future waymarks for these individuals would require a plaque, monument, or other proof that visitors could take pictures of and share them with the rest of the Waymarking world.

A new category name for this could simply be titled, Founders and Fathers of...

Thoughts?

Edited by thebeav69

FIRST of Its Kind accepts other wording, such as oldest, original, etc., IF the wording indicates that the site commemorates something that was the first of its kind. In the Case of Dunant, probably a "FIRST OF" is not indicated. I suppose one might exrapolate that he was the first member of the Red Cross. John Wesley was the founder of the Methodist Church, so was he the FIRST member? I would say that unless the plaque or sign clearly indicated this, then they waymark might not fit.

As the founder of the Superlatives category, which was started partly to include sites that didn't qualify for the FIRST of Its Kind, I'm also ambivalent about including these. Of course, the category doesn't accept "plaque only" waymarks anyway.

I don't think a category for the few cases of these that would not fall into some other category would be such a good idea. With a little head scratching, I bet you could find a home for them.

FIRST of Its Kind accepts other wording, such as oldest, original, etc., IF the wording indicates that the site commemorates something that was the first of its kind. In the Case of Dunant, probably a "FIRST OF" is not indicated. I suppose one might exrapolate that he was the first member of the Red Cross. John Wesley was the founder of the Methodist Church, so was he the FIRST member? I would say that unless the plaque or sign clearly indicated this, then they waymark might not fit.

As the founder of the Superlatives category, which was started partly to include sites that didn't qualify for the FIRST of Its Kind, I'm also ambivalent about including these. Of course, the category doesn't accept "plaque only" waymarks anyway.

I don't think a category for the few cases of these that would not fall into some other category would be such a good idea. With a little head scratching, I bet you could find a home for them.

Silverquill,

I agree with most of what you're saying, and I know that with enough 'head scratching', a waymarker could probably fit most of these 'Founders/Father of..' plaques/monuments. etc. into a certain category. BUT... I DO believe more of these types of public recognitions exist than you think, especially around the world. I'm just proposing the idea that it might be nice to single out these particular individual accomplishments into a category devoted to these individuals rather than have them get lost in a mix of Superlatives, First of its Kind and Citizen Memorials. For me personally, I think it would be neat to go through a list of 'Founder of...' or Father/Mother of...' waymarks in much the same way as I read down a list of First of Its Kind or Superlatives waymarks.

I agree with most of what you're saying, and I know that with enough 'head scratching', a waymarker could probably fit most of these 'Founders/Father of..' plaques/monuments. etc. into a certain category. BUT... I DO believe more of these types of public recognitions exist than you think, especially around the world. I'm just proposing the idea that it might be nice to single out these particular individual accomplishments into a category devoted to these individuals rather than have them get lost in a mix of Superlatives, First of its Kind and Citizen Memorials. For me personally, I think it would be neat to go through a list of 'Founder of...' or Father/Mother of...' waymarks in much the same way as I read down a list of First of Its Kind or Superlatives waymarks.

You might be quite right. It could get messy if too many exclusions are made. I think for these types of categories it is best to include ALL qualify sites, and if they also qualify for another category, then that's fine and it is up to any waymarker to cross post. The only limitation I would put on it is that there must be something at the site itself, that is being waymarked, that specifically refers to a person being the father, mother, or founder of something.