Wrong place for a cache

wildniagara

I recently worked hard to get landowner permission so I could erect some wood duck nesting boxes. The landowner is real sticky about letting people on his land and I chose this property because there is very little human traffic. I stumbled across a geocache here by mistake. From what I was told the landowner would forbid this so the cacher that put it there and everyone who signed the log book would be trespassing in this landowners eyes.

I will not divulge the name of the cacher or the location because I really don't want to encourage even more traffic but people really need to seek permission before hiding a cache. Many of these lands have already been closed to hunters because they assume it's ok and I can see cachers being the next big unwelcome if this becomes common. I think geocaching is an awesome idea and will help people connect with the outdoors more.

Please heed the rules and don not trespass. This should be a given.

Thank you

WildNiagara

I recently worked hard to get landowner permission so I could erect some wood duck nesting boxes. The landowner is real sticky about letting people on his land and I chose this property because there is very little human traffic. I stumbled across a geocache here by mistake. From what I was told the landowner would forbid this so the cacher that put it there and everyone who signed the log book would be trespassing in this landowners eyes.

I will not divulge the name of the cacher or the location because I really don't want to encourage even more traffic but people really need to seek permission before hiding a cache. Many of these lands have already been closed to hunters because they assume it's ok and I can see cachers being the next big unwelcome if this becomes common. I think geocaching is an awesome idea and will help people connect with the outdoors more.

Please heed the rules and don not trespass. This should be a given.

Thank you

WildNiagara

Why don't you-or even better the land owner contact the cache owner. If he won't remove it then contact Groundspeak. try HERE or(taken from that page) We can be reached by telephone at (+1) 206.302.7721 or via email: contact@geocaching.com Not to be mean or rude but it really is no use saying "I don't want geocachers here but I won't tell you where I am, or which cache it is" as that really does not solve anything. Plus you do not know FOR SURE that there was no permission. I should also mention that most cachers will assume there is permission for the cache placed. They are NOT going to ask permission to look for a cache 100 a day-and there are places where you can get 4 or 5 hundred or even a thousand caches in a day. So If the landowner contact Groundspeak they will pull the cache, but please try to contact the cache owner first-he may have seen it was unfenced-for example-and assumed it was public land.

Edited by T.D.M.22

After reading the post a few times... it doesn't seem that you are willing to do anything about it. Leastwise, you didn't relate that you would. Sure, you came here to the forums, but you provided nothing so that something could be done about it.

Groundspeak and geocaching.com, along with most all of it's geocaching membership do not want to be embroiled in trespassing controversy.

Permission for cache placement is paramount. Any violations discovered would be promptly handled.

So, now that you have stated your view on the matter, just what is it that you plan to do? Sit on it as is? I would hope that you intend to correct the matter and take the necessary steps forward. I certainly wouldn't care to jeopardize your project and I do not believe that any other cacher would wish to do so, either. You are correct with your assessment that violations such as this also jeopardize geocaching as a whole.

You can contact Groundspeak officials through this link: http://www.geocaching.com/contact/default.aspx

It would be handled discreetly and promptly, I am sure.

Thank you for your time and effort.

If you know the cache, go to the cache page and post a NA log explaining the situation. If you are uncomfortable posting a NA log because of the situation, find which Reviewer published the cache (usually the Publish log is the very bottom log on the list), go to their profile, and send them a message explaining the situation.

The warning to others is good, but shutting a problem cache down through the system in place for such things is also important.

I will not divulge the name of the cacher or the location because I really don't want to encourage even more traffic...

As others have stated, NOT revealing the cache name or ID# is going to allow continued visits.

In mentioning here that permission should have been obtained, you are preaching to the choir! :lol:

In order to avoid future issues with the cache you absolutely must:

1. Post a 'Needs Archived' log, stating your reasons.

2. Contact the reviewer, again stating your reasons the cache should be archived.

3. You might try contacting the cache owner, but you would most likely just get yourself into a pissing match.

Before any of this, you might want to casually ask the landowner if they have ever heard of Geocaching...just in case they might have actually given the permission you don't think they would have.

I would urge the original poster NOT to reveal the cache identity or location to the forum and to take the actions that were noted by those that responded. Unfortunately, when a caches such as this is revealed, certain members here mistakenly believe that it is their duty to get involved in matters that they have no personal knowledge of. More times than not, it turns out badly.

I would urge the original poster NOT to reveal the cache identity or location to the forum and to take the actions that were noted by those that responded. Unfortunately, when a caches such as this is revealed, certain members here mistakenly believe that it is their duty to get involved in matters that they have no personal knowledge of. More times than not, it turns out badly.

The original post wasn't to people looking for caches. It was meant for those placing the caches because all those who follow have to assume this activity is welcome on this private property.

Firstly I posted that as politely as possible. It seems this forum is no different than others but it is good to see I'm preaching to the choir. I did contact the member who according to the logbook, put it there. I agree Don J completely and that is precisely why I didn't give up the details.

If I do indeed find out this is not welcomed by the owner it will be removed. I am pleased that those who did sign the log book didn't litter while there.

For the others who this has upset..... take a deep breath and relax. It's good to remind ourselves to play by the rules so others don't spoil it for everyone.

In my area trespassing is the number one reason access has dried up and as I stated hunters are the main culprit, I being a hunter I know that. I really like this geocaching and would hate to see it as unwelcomed as hunting.

Sorry if I upset anyone, even more sorry to hear that this already is a problem in this community. Safe caching and enjoy the outdoors.

I will not divulge the name of the cacher or the location because I really don't want to encourage even more traffic...

As others have stated, NOT revealing the cache name or ID# is going to allow continued visits.

In mentioning here that permission should have been obtained, you are preaching to the choir! :lol:

2. Contact the reviewer, again stating your reasons the cache should be archived.

3. You might try contacting the cache owner, but you would most likely just get yourself into a pissing match.

Before any of this, you might want to casually ask the landowner if they have ever heard of Geocaching...just in case they might have actually given the permission you don't think they would have.

I was going to post essentially the same thing. If the OP knows it's there against the owner's wishes and the human traffic is unwelcome, then it would be best to have the cache archived, or that traffic will continue. Posting the cache ID here is not likely to increase traffic to the cache and may eliminate the problem.

Whatever the OP does, he shouldn't remove it without having it properly archived because people will still come and they will spend more time at the site looking for something that isn't there.

I did contact the member who according to the logbook, put it there.

That should take care of the problem. The cache owner should now either confirm permission or archive the cache. If this doesn't resolve the issue, then contacting the reviewer or geocaching.com would be in order. If indeed the cache does not belong there, then it must be archived to prevent other geocachers from looking for it.

I was going to post essentially the same thing. If the OP knows it's there against the owner's wishes and the human traffic is unwelcome, then it would be best to have the cache archived, or that traffic will continue. Posting the cache ID here is not likely to increase traffic to the cache and may eliminate the problem.

Whatever the OP does, he shouldn't remove it without having it properly archived because people will still come and they will spend more time at the site looking for something that isn't there.

With all due respect Brian, posting the cache id here is going to have self appointed busy bodies posting NA logs and contacting the CO. How is someone that does not have personal knowledge of what is going on, going to help the situation from hundreds or thousands of miles away. I know that it is a favorite activity here to look up caches and make judgements. I do it myself. Unfortunately, not everyone can stop there. Despite warnings from the moderators to let the CO and his local reviewer work it out, we have people that simply can not help themselves from getting between them. This creates great forum drama, but it never really ends well. I could bring up three incidents that come to mind, by why open old wounds?

Edited by Don_J

With all due respect Brian, posting the cache id here is going to have self appointed busy bodies posting NA logs and contacting the CO. How is someone that does not have personal knowledge of what is going on, going to help the situation from hundreds or thousands of miles away. I know that it is a favorite activity here to look up caches and make judgements. I do it myself. Unfortunately, not everyone can stop there. Despite warnings from the moderators to let the CO and his local reviewer work it out, we have people that simply can not help themselves from getting between them. This creates great forum drama, but it never really ends well. I could bring up three incidents that come to mind, by why open old wounds?

And I can name.three that turned out well.

All people here are not bad. Most have good intentions.

That being said, he does not need to post the info here but I hope he follows up on this. I don't like seeing caches on private property. Mistakes happen, and they end up there.sometimes, but it needs to be followed up on to make sure its moved. I'm fine with letting this thread owner handle it.

I did contact the member who according to the logbook, put it there.

That should take care of the problem. The cache owner should now either confirm permission or archive the cache.

You're assuming that the CO is active, reading his email, and cares. I would suggest going directly to NA & separately contacting the reviewer immediately. Don't let it linger. Edited by dakboy

Someone needs (needed) to do something.

If the OP was not (and now we know they were) willing to take action, someone should.

Preferably someone local to the cache in question, absolutely.

Maybe just pointing the local reviewer to the relevant discussion?

Not long ago my non caching sister in Colorado contacted me because one of her friends was complaining about people slowing down and parking next to the bridge on his property. He had no idea what was going on but my sister had a hunch and called me. With little research I found the cache in question and contacted both the CO and the reviewer. After mentioning that there has been killing of horses and other animals and thief in barns in the area, plus that the landowners have legal rights to defend their property without questions, the CO and reviewer acted quickly and archived and moved the cache and reinstated it at an intersection.

Edited by jellis

As a searcher I leave the geomobile armed with the knowledge that I am an invited guest. So long as I do not cross any posted "no trespassing" signs I assume my presence is welcome by the land onwer. If i were to be charged with trespassing that would be my defense in court. If the OP is in communication with the landowner and is certain the cache in question does not have permission, It is his/her duty to report that fact to the CO and to Groundspeak if the issue is not resolved between the landowner and the CO of the cache in question. In some parts of the US I am in real danger of being shot if I am trespassing. Certain landowners jealously guard their property.

Thanks for all the replies. some good advice there and I was not aware that it could be delisted or whatever you call it. This is all new to me. The landowner is on vacation for another week and the member who put it there never replied so I will leave it there until it is confirmed yes or no it is welcome or not. Judging by the conversation I guess this is important to many so I will update this post once I find out. Then either way it turns out I'll give you the cachers name after geocaching.net does their thing.

With that said it was my understanding that I was the only one out there. Even knowing that I still whistle or wear hunter orange because this is hunting season (archery) in my area. Most hunters as cachers are decent people who play by the rules but there are always a few exceptions. Please be careful this time of year and wear some bright coloured clothing just in case one of the not so ethical poachers has the crosshairs on you as you come into a clearing. You never know someone might trespass and put you in harms way with one of these caches. So please don't wear an antlered hat lol