Sign in to follow this  
Followers 19
Afterburned

Wherigo\\kit

So are you saying that I was doing it right?

4 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:

For the rest of the cartridge, the zone disappears the moment you arrive at it.  This is done for simplicity: I don't want the zone's proximity event to fire a second time, starting the whole chain all over again (and the Garmin Player has a bug where if a dialog or input displays while an input is already on the screen, the GPSr will crash so bad it shuts itself off).  Another reason I did this is so people can take the resulting cartridge and learn from it, without the fancy stuff I could have added getting in the way and complicating the learning process.  The final zone is done a bit different.  It should not disappear because the player is now trying to find the cache.  It doesn't do anyone any good if the zone disappears when the person approaches it.  You lose that arrow and distance, making it hard to find some well-hidden caches.  So the final zone really just becomes a pointer to the cache, as if you were navigating normally to a traditional.

Yeah, the last zone should just be the final cache.  You could include anything else to help people locate it or a comment that it's time to start looking for something or a request for feedback.

I just did a point to point cartridge using your /Kit program.  I works great!  

But - there is always one of those - when I field test it using an Android phone - at each question I get a small box stating "Scan QR Code".  That has confused cachers on previous cartridges.

I have looked at the lua file and see no mention of QR Code. 

Elsewhere on the net - I see a mention or two of this and the consensus appears to be that it is in the Wherugo app. 

IF so. is there any way to turn it off?  Is it because there is another app that is a QR reader that is "infringing" on the Wherugo app?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

HwyGuy

23 hours ago, HwyGuy said:

I just did a point to point cartridge using your /Kit program.  I works great!  

But - there is always one of those - when I field test it using an Android phone - at each question I get a small box stating "Scan QR Code".  That has confused cachers on previous cartridges.

I have looked at the lua file and see no mention of QR Code. 

Elsewhere on the net - I see a mention or two of this and the consensus appears to be that it is in the Wherugo app. 

IF so. is there any way to turn it off?  Is it because there is another app that is a QR reader that is "infringing" on the Wherugo app?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

HwyGuy

The problem is with the WhereYouGo app (never heard of any Wherugo app). Its developer thought it could be useful to add a QR code scanner to the free form input events, so he did. Well. It causes a lot of misunderstanding, I'm afraid. Nobody ever convinced him to get rid of this "feature". (But you can try, or start a new app project).

There is no easy way to turn it off. The best we can do is to inform our geoplayers that no QR codes are used in this adventure and that players should not pay attention to any mention of these codes.

That's why I tried creating the Wherigo Foundation.  It was to unite all developers together so we could create features like this and release them across all necessary platforms: builders, compiler (which generally controls the specification), and player apps.  If you didn't have even one of those, you'd confuse the community and have things that wouldn't or couldn't work.  In the end, that one piece--the compiler--was the problem.  For us to make updates to the compiler meant we'd have to host the site that ran the compiler.  That's why there's that Wherigo Foundation cartridge listing site.  But since Groundspeak never took us up on the offer to run Wherigo, we couldn't replace Groundspeak's site as the official one.  And I decided that if we couldn't do that, it wouldn't be right to introduce new features that Groundspeak's site couldn't compile and serve.  I think doing so would have been a huge disservice to the community.  Though I wonder now if doing so would have actually caused Groundspeak to let us run Wherigo...  Tough to say.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

I am currently trying to build my first Wherigo using Wherigo \\ kit and so far, it is very easy to set it up. Thank you so much for this! When I try to run the inbuild emulator though, it tells me, that the start coordinates should be somewhere in the pacific ocean. I also tried a different cartridge and a different browser (firefox and safari), which gave the same behaviour.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?

Best wishes

As you may have noticed, Kit doesn't give you the option to define the cartridge's starting coordinates.  Instead, Kit uses the first zone as the cartridge's start.  I'd wonder if Webwigo, the emulator, was having difficulty interpreting these coordinates.  Since I'm at work at the moment, I cannot check to see if anything might be happening on Kit's end.  (I just hope your first zone isn't over the ocean as well.  Then again, I don't think I've ever heard of a diving cartridge, possibly one exploring an underwater wreck.  But I think you'd have a difficult time maintaining a GPS lock under several hundred meters of water...)

Hi, no the start coordinates are certainly not in the pacific ocean. I would very much appreciate, if you could have a look.

I am making another Wherigo via Wherigo\\kit.  I noticed that this time that the interface does not allow line spacing or another paragraph.  This is different then when I built my last Wherigo in 2019.  As you can se in the attached images, that Line Spacing/New Paragraph is not recognized on the iPhone playing GWC file.  In the past I was able to make another paragraph/line spacing by using this method: Return Key - Space Bar - Return Key.   The Wherigo\\kit and testing in the Emulator all show the Line spacing, but the iPhone when played show what appears to be the sentences all run together with no line spacing.

Has something change in the software interface and how can I show different paragraphs in each screen?

Thanks.

iPhone_IMG_2007.thumb.PNG.460493c69416959bee13821b0dc521cc.PNG2050162895_EmulatorScreenShot2020-03-18at5_38_29PM.png.961269b2cd687e3784a645c1acc37a22.png1387664391_FromBuilder_ScreenShot2020-03-18at6_03_43PM.png.c99a5590e18ff4861f17502998c6b9c0.png 

I just uploaded the cartridge to Wherigo.com and Wherigo interface places the line breaks/paragraphs correctly.  So once the file is uploaded to Wherigo line spacing is correct.  

Thanks.

Ranger Fox,

I greatly appreciate everything you have done for the Wherigo community. By putting together the Wherigo Kit platform, you have introduced Wherigo cartridge building to the masses, something that the other builder platforms have been able to do.

Back in 2015 someone had asked about adding items and characters to the  Wherigo Kit platform. You responded that by adding this addictional option to the kit that it would essentially change the essence of the builder program making it much more complicated than what it was intended to be.  My question is IF one wanted to up their cartridge building game and step up to a different platform that is a bit more intricate and had the options of characters and items, but not a "programer's builder platform",  which of the other builder platforms would you recommend?  From what I can tell, Earwigo would be the logical next step up from Wherigo Kit. Urwigo looking more like a programers platform.   Would you agree that the Earwigo platform is logical next step up from the kit platform?

Thank you!

Good question.  Both Earwigo and Urwigo do take some getting used to.  When I was new to Urwigo, I had to get used to clicking on the object (such as zone) and seeing its properties in a different spot and then how to work with its flowchart-like interface.  Earwigo, once you get access, has its menu across the top and the logic flow looks closer to Groundspeak's builder.

I did think about further expanding Kit, but for the past two years, I've been putting in a lot of unpaid overtime at my job.  Perhaps, later, I might get back to doing something with Wherigo.  That depends on Groundspeak's actively supporting the community.

I have noticed on 09/29/2020 at approximate 13:00 that my Wherigo built in Wherigo//Kit is having a system error.  I even tried coping the Wherigo and it also gives an error.  I then took an older version of the cartridge and was updating that Wherigo, when it also gave a system error.  I had the cartridge almost completed and ready to upload to Wherigo.com. 

Is the server down or having issues?

gjhimages 

<Cartridge xmlns=''> was not expected.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: <Cartridge xmlns=''> was not expected.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.7.3535.0