Sign in to follow this  
Followers 14
Afterburned

Wherigo\\kit

Oops, ran into a little glitch. One of my friends did my new Wherigo today on her iPhone and said all the punctuation had been turned into question marks. Is there a way to fix that? Thanks.

46 minutes ago, Path Pacer said:

Oops, ran into a little glitch. One of my friends did my new Wherigo today on her iPhone and said all the punctuation had been turned into question marks. Is there a way to fix that? Thanks.

I'll look.  (I wonder if you copied and pasted from somewhere?)

1 hour ago, Path Pacer said:

Okay, so I guess Kit can't obfuscate text in cartridges as well as Urwigo or Earwigo (I must work on that for v2).  I turned that off for good.

Please get your cartridge's GWZ file from Kit and upload it as an update to your cartridge.  You can do that by visiting your cartridge's listing on Wherigo.com and clicking on the "Upload GWZ File" link in the left column.  That's all that is needed to be done.

15 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:

I'll look.  (I wonder if you copied and pasted from somewhere?)

Yes, I did. I wrote it out in Word first, then copied it into the text boxes. Do I need to retype all the text or just re-upload the gwz file?

Nah.  Just upload the new GWZ from Kit that you downloaded after 7PM MST last night.  That should fix it.

I had my iPhone friend retest the cartridge today, and it still had the question marks all over it. I guess I'll have to retype all the text in again.

1 hour ago, Path Pacer said:

I had my iPhone friend retest the cartridge today, and it still had the question marks all over it. I guess I'll have to retype all the text in again.

I don't understand.  If I impersonate you and download the GWZ from Kit, it downloads without the text obfuscation.  However, when I look at what you have uploaded to Wherigo.com, it still has the text obfuscation.

... ... ...

Oh... you're using the fun little thing in Kit to send the cartridge directly to Wherigo.com...  Oh...  I wonder if Kit has the string obfuscation there?  Hmm...  ... ... yes, yes it is.

Okay, so you were using the link to send the cartridge directly to Wherigo.com instead of download the GWZ and upload it manually.  I didn't realize that, so didn't test that way, and my instructions from before assumed you instead were downloading the GWZ and uploading it to Wherigo.com.  That explains why what I did didn't work (it's not mysterious: I disabled text obfuscation for generating the GWZ from that page, but the part about sending directly to Wherigo.com had a manual setting in its URL that overrode my setting because I'm a good programmer and leave those things to be decided at the top level so I don't have to remove the feature entirely so I can later do my testing to figure out where things went wrong, so I do disable the requests causing the text obfuscation at the top level, but that means if I don't get them all, "fun" situations like this happen that make people question my competency, then I decide to do run-on sentences because the situation is embarrassing and I caused some people to waste time).

<Deep breath>

Go ahead and do it one. last. time.  I'll check what was uploaded to your cartridge's listing myself after you have uploaded it but before you send someone else out there.  Just make sure you refresh the page on Kit before doing the publish to avoid your browser caching the page and not getting the updated script file.

For now, that's it for me tonight.

Ah, I suspected something like that. I should have done it manually the first time. I just did, and I've a friend who'll test it out on Sat.

Yup.  That worked.  I don't see the text obfuscation code in there.

It occurs to me that I should probably have suggested creating a cartridge where you live, sending it over to Wherigo.com but not publishing it, then download and play it in the convenience of your own home.  I've been wondering if I should offer that as a feature in Kit v2: you can choose to have a linear cartridge collapsed to a single point so you could play through the entire thing without moving so you could text the questions, answers, and messages.  It's something that would be valuable to me as a tester, but I don't know if anyone else would find it useful, so I haven't created something like that.  I do, though, find myself moving zones to my house when I'm testing events in someone's cartridge.  I then move between the rooms with my desktop and the Plant That Must Not Die to test the cartridge.

Anyway, while we're on the topic, is there something you'd like to see in Kit v2?  (Yes, I'll have to get better about text obfuscation to offer it in v2.  I wonder how the other builders do it, especially with the European character set?)

It does have an online test function, and it worked fine in my real-world Oregon and on my phone. I don't have an iPhone, so I wouldn't have seen the problem anyway. I only knew about it when my iPhone friend told me.

As for Kit v2, it would be good if the picture function automatically modified the picture so it only took up the first quarter of the screen. I used a few narrow pictures, which the module displayed at full width, which in turn made narrow pictures really long and pushed the text way down. I ended up dragging the problem pics into PowerPoint, adding a wider transparent box over the top, grouping them, then saving it as an image.

3 hours ago, Path Pacer said:

As for Kit v2, it would be good if the picture function automatically modified the picture so it only took up the first quarter of the screen. I used a few narrow pictures, which the module displayed at full width, which in turn made narrow pictures really long and pushed the text way down. I ended up dragging the problem pics into PowerPoint, adding a wider transparent box over the top, grouping them, then saving it as an image.

Aside from how the different player apps handle pictures, such as automatic resizing, I could probably do something about that.

What do you think: what about a setting you can set personally for your account where you control the maximum width and/or height of all pictures export by Kit?  There could be a few canned settings for this, such as maximum compatibility, higher res for smartphones, etc.  Of course, that wouldn't fix the times where narrow pictures were resized by the apps.  Hmm...  I could make it where you could set a range for width and height, but then I guess I'd have to give the author the option of expanding the picture to the minimum size or having it displayed centered on a white background.  Then I'd also have to make sure it's saved in either the original photo format or JPG, the latter for compatibility with Garmin.

There are so many little things that can be done with photos.  I'm going to have to think of a way to present it in such a way that it doesn't introduce complexity.  It could always be an advanced setting as I don't mind everyone starting with defaults and, if they want, tweaking those settings as they gain more experience.  I still have to make sure, after all that, Kit is flat out easy to use, but can be expanded as people gain experience.  (And I still have to figure out if I can make a freeform kit, which would allow people to do anything while still keeping things fairly easy to understand.  I'm giving myself the full year to do anything I want with Kit, so let's see.  And whenever the open source update to Visual Studio Team Services comes out, I can fully open source it so others can contribute their time.)

I like the way the pictures are handled now, that is using the max width of the screen. If the pic is significantly wider than it is tall, it fits quite well. Perhaps that's all we need to know.

Or you could just make it so the picture is centered and the bottom only comes down to the top quarter or third. Fill in the sides with white or transparent background. That would make narrow pictures pretty small though, but it would work well for squares.

On 2/3/2018 at 11:35 AM, Path Pacer said:

Or you could just make it so the picture ... only comes down to the top quarter or third.

The devices on which Wherigo is run can have different resolutions.  Media sizing would be best decided upon and performed with the player app itself.  Instead of using tricks to determine how to size the graphics, I believe the responsibility for correctly sizing graphics should be left to the player app.

I have been playing with the kit, and it is great - I have had an issue show up when running on the emulator in my attempts to build whereigos, when I go to the last place, I don't get last dialog to appear?  This is using the basic tourist guide kit, and not even having questions, just having a dialog appear when you get within 8 meters.  I seem to recall having a similar problem if I asked questions at each stage though.  All worked well until the last one.  Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I think I had Kit shift the size of the last location to be a couple meters, the reason being it's assumed someone is hiding a cache there and we needed the player to get closer.  I'll take a look at it later this evening or tomorrow night, but I suspect I'm still using OnProximity when the emulator cartridge is built.  OnProximity means that, to trigger the events, you have to drag the icon close to the location in the emulator, and not directly into the location (because this would correctly emulate someone approaching the location).  Anyway, I'll have a look and see if I can fiddle with some things.

• Upvote 1

Oh cool - sounds like I should really get out and field test it this weekend - which we were planning on doing.  From what you are saying I'm thinking maybe it shall work fine live.

It'll work fine live, yes.  I just don't like it when people are confused about using the emulator with the cartridge.  The whole goal of Kit is to be an entry-level builder to make it easier for people to create cartridges.  When/if they're ready to learn in the future how cartridges are put together, they can export those cartridges to other builders.

On 4/26/2018 at 9:27 AM, JAKKTeam said:

I have been playing with the kit, and it is great - I have had an issue show up when running on the emulator in my attempts to build whereigos, when I go to the last place, I don't get last dialog to appear?  This is using the basic tourist guide kit, and not even having questions, just having a dialog appear when you get within 8 meters.  I seem to recall having a similar problem if I asked questions at each stage though.  All worked well until the last one.  Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Okay, I looked at the cartridge.  The last location is indeed smaller than the others.  This is intentional with Kit (I'll explain why later).  When playing the cartridge in the emulator, the box is small enough that you have to make a little effort to drag the maker into the box.  This won't affect the game when played in the field on a player app.

I'm not sure what you mean about a similar problem at each stage if you ask questions.  But, in the emulator, the cartridge is wired so that you have to drag the marker inside the box while in the field you just have to get close.  (For those wondering, Kit uses OnEnter when sending a cartridge to Webwigo, but OnProximity when people download cartridges or send them directly to Wherigo.com.  This prevents issues surrounding the Garmin players liking to zero out if OnEnter is used with small zones.)

Now, about why Kit creates smaller final zones.  To save on processing and calculation, it's understandable if some player apps might give you the distance to a zone's center while others would give you the distance to the nearest edge of a zone.  In Wherigo, precision isn't usually necessary, so it's fine to guide people to within five to ten meters of something.  However, the final zone, if it contains a geocache, is different.  At times, you need it precise, to function like a point instead of a square.  Because of this, Kit shrinks the final zone, making sure those playing the cartridge have to get closer to the actual coordinates.  That's why the final zone is usually smaller than the rest.

Thanks for your great support on this.  The kit worked great as an intro to this.  You are correct we tried this live and it worked great.  Went back and tried it again in the emulator and everything works great, and maybe now its time to move into the next level of understanding on the platform!