Sign in to follow this  
Followers 12
Afterburned

Wherigo\\kit

274 posts in this topic

Thanks.

What's the best way to fix punctuation formatting? Everything is changing to "?" vs commas and apostrophes once I download the cartridge from Wherigo.com.

post-688823-009284600 1468789434_thumb.png

Edited by kiecker

After loading my cartridge into Wherigo.com I went out testing today. I'm not sure how to debug this, but when I got to my zone called "city hall" I have it set for a multiple choice answer before proceeding forward. None of the selections worked, even though I have a radio button selected in the kit. Thoughts?

Let's see...

For the question mark issue, did you copy and paste from somewhere else, such as a word processor? Word processors typically replace some punctuation with things that look like the same punctuation but are something different altogether. It's called a character code. When the app reads the text, it realizes it can't display that character and the default character, the question mark, is substituted. The best example is the double quotation marks. It's tricky to do something about the characters entered into the boxes in Kit because I have to support non-English characters as well. Try typing the text directly into the boxes on the page instead of copy and pasting. This should solve the issue.

As for what you saw in the app, chances are you're going to run into that issue at the moment with many more cartridges than your own. Last week, I was reviewing changes to the iOS app when I noticed a button for an item I had wasn't doing anything. I reported this to the developer, so he's looking into it. While that's not your exact issue, I believe it to be related. I believe what you're seeing is this: a multiple choice question comes up and selecting an answer doesn't do anything. This can be the same issue with buttons (their callbacks) that I'm seeing. Now that someone else has reported a similar issue, I'm a little worried about what's happening as I thought it was just a random thing I had come across. I'll have to wait for the app developer to release a new beta version to me before I can see if this issue is resolved.

Interesting.

All text I entered into the kit was typed in the kit, not from copy/paste into the kit. I'll try and reword some of my sentences to eliminate some punctuation and reupload.

Sound like if the iOS app is having some issues with multiple choice, would it better just to change my questions to open ended or have you seen similar issues?

I'm excited to publish my first WIG, but also want it to be as bullet proof and professional as I can. Thanks for the feeback.

After hours spent failing to complete anything sensible with any of the other builders, I've made a cartridge easily with Wherigo\\kit , which was pretty simple to get my head around, thank you !

I walked the cartridge ( it's called "Walking the Dog" ) in the field today and it worked fine (on an android 'phone) , but having passed it on to some friends to trial ( also on android devices )they got to the second zone (welcome sign) and the question screen did not show. They tell me they tried a couple of times, left the zone and went back in , started over, nothing got them any further . I don't want to publish the Wherigo without being sure it is OK.

I am at a loss ... I see cartridges are shared with Ranger Fox by default and I'd be really grateful for any help you can give me.

Just checking some things: if they knew the second zone was the welcome sign, perhaps they didn't go to the first? Were they closer than five metres to the sign? Did they turn off the player app to save phone power and start it back up again when they arrived at the sign? (Kit uses proximity, so they have to go from six metres to five or four for the event to fire.) I assume you both are using an up-to-date version of WhereYouGo, possibly the same version (considering I don't think it has been updated for a while)?

I don't own an Android device, so it's hard to tell what's going on with the player app itself. The cartridges Kit produces intentionally use the lowest common denominator for all apps: nothing flashy and nothing outside the norm for Wherigo. In addition, nothing much has changed in the last couple years in the cartridge code Kit produces.

The fun thing is your first zone has a question and a message--the same sequence as the second zone. However, the second zone uses an open-ended question. I hope that's not what the app is having difficulty with. (I cannot wait for the Wherigo Foundation player app to be available for Android...)

If you went out there with your friends, I wonder if you could see what's happening? I'd be interested in knowing what you observed.

Just checking some things: if they knew the second zone was the welcome sign, perhaps they didn't go to the first? Were they closer than five metres to the sign? Did they turn off the player app to save phone power and start it back up again when they arrived at the sign? (Kit uses proximity, so they have to go from six metres to five or four for the event to fire.) I assume you both are using an up-to-date version of WhereYouGo, possibly the same version (considering I don't think it has been updated for a while)?

I don't own an Android device, so it's hard to tell what's going on with the player app itself. The cartridges Kit produces intentionally use the lowest common denominator for all apps: nothing flashy and nothing outside the norm for Wherigo. In addition, nothing much has changed in the last couple years in the cartridge code Kit produces.

The fun thing is your first zone has a question and a message--the same sequence as the second zone. However, the second zone uses an open-ended question. I hope that's not what the app is having difficulty with. (I cannot wait for the Wherigo Foundation player app to be available for Android...)

If you went out there with your friends, I wonder if you could see what's happening? I'd be interested in knowing what you observed.

Thank you for your suggestions and observations, I'll ask my testers if they switched the app off, that does seem a possibility. I'll also interrogate them about when they downloaded the app.to their device: my 'phone is about 7 months old so my version (if different) will be no older than that. I will certainly let you know if either their observations, or a return visit with me peering over their shoulders, sheds any light on the problem.

I went back and walked the route again today, and again it worked fine for me, so I'm minded to publish the cache listing anyway and see what happens ! I really like the Wherigo kit interface, I have a few more ideas percolating away at the back of my mind which may eventually become caches, so thanks again for all your hard work, I'm watching for Wherigo Foundation developments with interest !

I really dislike like pointing fingers, saying it's because of this or that and not because of something I did (pointing fingers is counterproductive and if it's not something I did, I can't fix it). Hopefully, player app offerings will become more stable and consistent in the future. Issues like this is just one of the things turning people away from Wherigo. But the good news is someone in the community took initiative and made something in the first place. So even if its stability isn't perfect, it's great we have something we can use.

I'm building a Wherigo with the kit right now. What I like to know; how can I change the unlock code you get at the end from the default "TestUnlockCode_" to something else. That feature doesn't appear to be included in the kit.

There isn't a way to change that, nor do I believe there is a need. You see, when someone downloads a cartridge from Wherigo.com, the server edits the cartridge and places the real unlock code within it. This unlock code is specific to the cartridge and person who downloaded it. When you're building a cartridge, all builder apps put in their own unlock code as a stand-in for what the server will insert at a later time. Kit's unlock code stand-in is the exact length of a real unlock code, hence the necessary underscore at the end.

Is there a specific reason you need to define a test unlock code?

It's my first time building a Wherigo with any kind of builder, so I had no idea the website will add the code. I thought I had to do so myself using the kit.

I really dislike like pointing fingers, saying it's because of this or that and not because of something I did (pointing fingers is counterproductive and if it's not something I did, I can't fix it). Hopefully, player app offerings will become more stable and consistent in the future. Issues like this is just one of the things turning people away from Wherigo. But the good news is someone in the community took initiative and made something in the first place. So even if its stability isn't perfect, it's great we have something we can use.

As Grandma said, "You point a finger at someone, and three point back at you."

Being a total and ignorant beginner I'd assumed I had done something wrong somehow rather than Kit or the app. were at fault.

Absolutely right that we should be greatful for the efforts of the app builders, but we need to take note of those instabilities and try to see what triggers them so they can hopefully be eliminated in the future. Dead right that such things are contributing to some cachers being frustrated, you can look at pretty much any Wherigo cache page to see folk logging peeved DNFs part way through the cartridge.

Fingers crossed that I shall not have that problem ...

By the way, I noticed that when I did my last walk round the zones in the field, if I allowed the 'phone to auto complete the word input for an open ended question, the correct answer was not accepted. I guess some invisible-to-me formatting symbol was added by the 'phone software, as inputting the word letter by letter worked fine. I guess it is a known problem, and I have amended my cache listing to mention it.

Thanks again for your help.

Absolutely right that we should be greatful for the efforts of the app builders, but we need to take note of those instabilities and try to see what triggers them so they can hopefully be eliminated in the future. Dead right that such things are contributing to some cachers being frustrated, you can look at pretty much any Wherigo cache page to see folk logging peeved DNFs part way through the cartridge.

Do you mind reading a story? I'd like to tell one here.

Back in 2008, when Wherigo was released, I began testing and pushing its boundaries. That's when Whack-A-Lackey was developed, which also has the distinction of being the first play anywhere cartridge to be allowed to have a final geocache location (neat footnote, but tangential). In early 2009, I experimented with crafting a cartridge that would emulate people walking around a park. You'd begin the cartridge and some characters would be placed in a park. Some characters would move on a complicated route I programmed, the characters following the park's walking trail. You had to find one character, then find her iPod, then find out where she had gone off to (as she moves at walking distance around the park while you're searching for the iPod). I did a lot of testing before I released the cartridge because it's always a risk when you release something that tests what Wherigo is capable of doing. A week or so before I released the cartridge, Garmin released their new Oregon line. I had a Colorado and thoroughly tested the cartridge on it. And like any sensible person with technology, I assumed the newly-released Oregon was superior to the Colorado in terms of hardware. Well... it wasn't.

When the geocache listing was published, one of the area's top cachers went out to play the cartridge and the script I created to move the characters taxed the Oregon so much he had to wait forty-five seconds for a dialog window to be displayed. He lambasted me in his log--probably more than he normally would another person because this guy doesn't like me (even to this day he's still disrespectful). So I see his log and go out and test the cartridge for an hour or two and still can't find anything wrong with it. I finally borrow his Oregon and go out in a downpour and see what he experienced. I retreated to my car, turned on my laptop, made edits to the cartridge, and went back out in the rain to test what I had written. I kept doing this until the cartridge could be played with the Oregon's equipment, then returned it to him. I was on the wet side even though I had a rain coat and pants on. Later, he went out, did the cartridge, found the cache, and still didn't have anything nice to say.

So I hope in the future Wherigo will be stable on all platforms (I don't care about Garmin's because doing so will only hold us back) so authors and players won't have to face this situation anymore. But no matter how much we test what we create, there's always something beyond our control that happens.

By the way, I noticed that when I did my last walk round the zones in the field, if I allowed the 'phone to auto complete the word input for an open ended question, the correct answer was not accepted. I guess some invisible-to-me formatting symbol was added by the 'phone software, as inputting the word letter by letter worked fine. I guess it is a known problem, and I have amended my cache listing to mention it.

I bet the phone is inserting a space at the end of the auto-completed word. And this puts me at a nice little impasse with Kit. There's that builder compatibility feature I'm trying to retain: when you create a cartridge with Kit, you can export it from Kit and import it into either Urwigo or Groundspeak's builder so you can edit it further or learn how to create cartridges. I can fix several things behind the scenes, such as text that isn't obfuscated, make cartridges ridiculously difficult to crack, and fix annoyances like trimming whitespace off the end of text. However, doing so would lose this compatibility with other builders. It's a difficult position to be in. And until the player apps are more solid, I doubt I should be changing Kit's underlying code or else we won't know anymore if it's the player app that has an issue or the cartridge itself.

I like reading stories . :D

And this puts me at a nice little impasse with Kit. There's that builder compatibility feature I'm trying to retain: when you create a cartridge with Kit, you can export it from Kit and import it into either Urwigo or Groundspeak's builder so you can edit it further or learn how to create cartridges. I can fix several things behind the scenes, such as text that isn't obfuscated, make cartridges ridiculously difficult to crack, and fix annoyances like trimming whitespace off the end of text. However, doing so would lose this compatibility with other builders. It's a difficult position to be in. And until the player apps are more solid, I doubt I should be changing Kit's underlying code or else we won't know anymore if it's the player app that has an issue or the cartridge itself.

I appreciate the importance of keeping 'Kit' as compatible as possible. The simplicity which comes as a side effect of that compatibility (I'm guessing that's why Kit has for example no characters or items)is actually an advantage for an ignoramus like me.

I've given a heads up on the cache page, telling cachers that allowing a 'phone to auto complete words may invalidate the answer, so I don't see a problem as long as they read the page.

I know, I know, someone won't read the page, but at least I tried... :rolleyes:

The simplicity which comes as a side effect of that compatibility (I'm guessing that's why Kit has for example no characters or items)

Actually, that's an effect, not a side effect. Kit's whole purpose is removing Wherigo's cartridge-authoring learning curve. To do that, Kit gives you few options and has a kit-based approach (i.e. you tell it what type of cartridge you want to create and it'll give you the tools to create it). I never wanted to create a full-featured web-based builder. We have that already--Earwigo--and it's successful in its own right. With Kit, you can create some simple cartridges and, when you're ready to see how cartridges are put together, you can export your cartridge from Kit into a full-featured builder and learn from what you see. If what you're making in a full-featured builder isn't working out, you can refer to the cartridge Kit made for you and see how Kit did it, then apply that to what you're making.

I'm happy to report that my Wherigo has been successfully completed by 3 sets of cachers so far, using a variety of devices ( the FTFers have found a good few wherigos before, and ran mine on an Oregon 550, a tablet and an i-phone - I guess they've hit a few glitches in the past and now take a belt and braces approach!)

Thanks again for Wherigo//kit reducing the angle of the learning curve to nearly horizontal, and making another Wherigo cache possible.

Hey I am trying to build a Wherigo cartridge and it will not upload it gives a system error can you help?

Ha ha! The quotes in your handle are causing issues!

I'll update Kit later this evening, then post a reply here.

I updated Wherigo\\kit. You can now grab the new GWZ for your cartridge and upload it to Wherigo.com.

Have fun!

Thank you Ranger Fox!!! I was assisting with building a kit cartridge when he tried to upload and got the error message. Thank you for trouble shooting!

Every time I attempt to sign in to Kit - I get a Server Error in '/' Application error and it hangs up.

I have tried 2 different computers, rebooted, resigned in etc. - still no go. I therefore don't think is is something at my computer. Have I done something wrong somewhere or is the site down?

Thanks

HwyGuy

I restarted it two hours ago. Try it now.

Later, I'll need to figure out what's not getting disposed.