Wherigo\\kit

Afterburned

Hi,

I am currently trying to build my first Wherigo using Wherigo \\ kit and so far, it is very easy to set it up. Thank you so much for this! When I try to run the inbuild emulator though, it tells me, that the start coordinates should be somewhere in the pacific ocean. I also tried a different cartridge and a different browser (firefox and safari), which gave the same behaviour.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?

Best wishes

As you may have noticed, Kit doesn't give you the option to define the cartridge's starting coordinates.  Instead, Kit uses the first zone as the cartridge's start.  I'd wonder if Webwigo, the emulator, was having difficulty interpreting these coordinates.  Since I'm at work at the moment, I cannot check to see if anything might be happening on Kit's end.  (I just hope your first zone isn't over the ocean as well.  Then again, I don't think I've ever heard of a diving cartridge, possibly one exploring an underwater wreck.  But I think you'd have a difficult time maintaining a GPS lock under several hundred meters of water...)

I am making another Wherigo via Wherigo\\kit.  I noticed that this time that the interface does not allow line spacing or another paragraph.  This is different then when I built my last Wherigo in 2019.  As you can se in the attached images, that Line Spacing/New Paragraph is not recognized on the iPhone playing GWC file.  In the past I was able to make another paragraph/line spacing by using this method: Return Key - Space Bar - Return Key.   The Wherigo\\kit and testing in the Emulator all show the Line spacing, but the iPhone when played show what appears to be the sentences all run together with no line spacing.

Has something change in the software interface and how can I show different paragraphs in each screen?

Thanks.

iPhone_IMG_2007.thumb.PNG.460493c69416959bee13821b0dc521cc.PNG2050162895_EmulatorScreenShot2020-03-18at5_38_29PM.png.961269b2cd687e3784a645c1acc37a22.png1387664391_FromBuilder_ScreenShot2020-03-18at6_03_43PM.png.c99a5590e18ff4861f17502998c6b9c0.png 

Ranger Fox,

I greatly appreciate everything you have done for the Wherigo community. By putting together the Wherigo Kit platform, you have introduced Wherigo cartridge building to the masses, something that the other builder platforms have been able to do.

Back in 2015 someone had asked about adding items and characters to the  Wherigo Kit platform. You responded that by adding this addictional option to the kit that it would essentially change the essence of the builder program making it much more complicated than what it was intended to be.  My question is IF one wanted to up their cartridge building game and step up to a different platform that is a bit more intricate and had the options of characters and items, but not a "programer's builder platform",  which of the other builder platforms would you recommend?  From what I can tell, Earwigo would be the logical next step up from Wherigo Kit. Urwigo looking more like a programers platform.   Would you agree that the Earwigo platform is logical next step up from the kit platform?

Thank you!

Good question.  Both Earwigo and Urwigo do take some getting used to.  When I was new to Urwigo, I had to get used to clicking on the object (such as zone) and seeing its properties in a different spot and then how to work with its flowchart-like interface.  Earwigo, once you get access, has its menu across the top and the logic flow looks closer to Groundspeak's builder.

I did think about further expanding Kit, but for the past two years, I've been putting in a lot of unpaid overtime at my job.  Perhaps, later, I might get back to doing something with Wherigo.  That depends on Groundspeak's actively supporting the community.

I have noticed on 09/29/2020 at approximate 13:00 that my Wherigo built in Wherigo//Kit is having a system error.  I even tried coping the Wherigo and it also gives an error.  I then took an older version of the cartridge and was updating that Wherigo, when it also gave a system error.  I had the cartridge almost completed and ready to upload to Wherigo.com. 

Is the server down or having issues?

gjhimages 

<Cartridge xmlns=''> was not expected.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: <Cartridge xmlns=''> was not expected.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.7.3535.0

I didn't add functionality for Play Anywhere cartridges in Kit because of what Play Anywhere cartridges are.  You see, being playable anywhere, they're less tied to a map location and more to certain dimensions, such as a football field.  Had I created a Kit that would translate an entire game to the player's current position, chances are, given the map-based approach in Kit, people would create Play Anywhere cartridges tied to certain map features.  This would then become a problem when the entire cartridge is uprooted and placed elsewhere.  It's just too easy for people to create a poor experience.  In addition, all I have in Kit are questions and messages.  That's hardly ideal for a Play Anywhere cartridge experience.  Sure, the cartridge could just ask questions, but that's a little boring--not to mention the province of a mystery cache.

Hello, I've been a big fan of Wherigo Kit for several years and own several geocaches based on this user-friendly tool. Thank you for creating it.

But lately, I have not been able to make updates. When I make changes and try to upload the update to Wherigo.com, I get the error message quoted below, and the cartridge does not update.

What could I be doing wrong? The passsword I'm using is certainly correct.

The cache I'd like to update is https://coord.info/GC67X8N.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts and/or guidance.

Best wishes

Morten (Mostly Moose)

Oslo, Norway

This is the message I get:

Error<br><br>Was your password correct?  Please visit the previous page and enter your password again.<br><br>The request failed with an empty response.<br><br>   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at RangerFox.Wherigo.Kit.UI.WherigoUpload.CartridgeUpload.UploadGWZFile(String CartridgeID, Byte[] cartridgeFile, String username, String password, String note) in F:\webshare\Wherigo Kit\WherigoKit\WherigoKit\Web References\WherigoUpload\Reference.cs:line 78
   at RangerFox.Wherigo.Kit.UI.Carts.Download.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in F:\webshare\Wherigo Kit\WherigoKit\WherigoKit\Cartridges\Download.ashx.cs:line 201

Thread was being aborted.

at System.Threading.Thread.AbortInternal()
   at System.Threading.Thread.Abort(Object stateInfo)
   at System.Web.HttpResponse.AbortCurrentThread()
   at System.Web.HttpResponse.End()
   at RangerFox.Wherigo.Kit.UI.Carts.Download.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in F:\webshare\Wherigo Kit\WherigoKit\WherigoKit\Cartridges\Download.ashx.cs:line 226

Thanks for the tips above it helps a bit, but did not solve my trouble completely. I have following issue: 

I have an existing Wherigo which I created with Wherigo kit and was running fine 2 years. But now there is a big construction site and I need to update, so people can finalise it. 

I updated the cartridge in Wherigo-kit (added the final coordinates in an earlier station/location), gave it a slightly new name to distinguish and updated also the first page/start page to be able to verify.

I created a gwz file as described above (after saving and building before of course) and uploaded this to the existing Wherigo on Wherigo.com. 

It was successfully added there, which I can see in the release notes, however if I try it in the Wherigo-app to download the new cartridge and start playing, it still shows the info from the old cartridge. 

Can somebody please help me, how to update the cartridge and replace the old, so people can play it again?

This is your cartridge's listing: https://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/versionhistory.aspx?CGUID=3539e319-a317-4a22-8242-52e56c998b1b

I looked at your cartridge on Kit and downloaded the current version of your cartridge from Wherigo.com.  You give two sets of coordinates at the last zone, Station 15.  These coordinates are the same between Kit and the current cartridge people can download.  The message looks the same as well.  I'm assuming this is one of the things you updated.

If the above is correct and you did update that message, we need to look at other reasons.

First, regardless of the name and description you use in Kit, Wherigo.com will overwrite that with the name and description you are using on Wherigo.com.  This might be part of the source of your confusion.  I'd also suggest deleting the cartridge from your app and try downloading again.  Perhaps the app didn't overwrite the cached version or perhaps (if you're using Android) you saved the cartridge to a folder that the player app isn't looking at, then when you loaded the app, it loaded the old version from this other folder somewhere.

I have no issues when I sign into Wherigo.com or when I initially load the Wherigo foundation page.

The issue you point out is on the geocaching.com API login page, during the login process.

Error 500 is usually a temporary one. It's 404 that signifies a page is dead.

I have reported the error, and hopefully it is resolved soon. It is 4 AM in Seattle, so it may take a couple hours before an engineer sees the report.

Edited by geoawareUSA9

No, it's likely something on Groundspeak's side with transferring the login back to Kit and the WF site.  I sent an email outside work hours on Friday.  They'll look into it during the work week.  If I don't hear anything by Wednesday, I'll send an email to another address I know.

This happened around the time I renewed the site's SSL certificate, but is not related to it.  I updated the SSL certificate on Wednesday.  That evening, my hosting provider had problems making the database accessible to the web server.  I thought it was something I had done, but I couldn't figure out what, so I left it unsolved overnight.  On Thursday morning, the database connection was working fine and I was able to log in.  This new problem seemed to have happened between Thursday afternoon and Friday afternoon.

15 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:

No, it's likely something on Groundspeak's side with transferring the login back to Kit and the WF site.  I sent an email outside work hours on Friday.  They'll look into it during the work week.  If I don't hear anything by Wednesday, I'll send an email to another address I know.

This happened around the time I renewed the site's SSL certificate, but is not related to it.  I updated the SSL certificate on Wednesday.  That evening, my hosting provider had problems making the database accessible to the web server.  I thought it was something I had done, but I couldn't figure out what, so I left it unsolved overnight.  On Thursday morning, the database connection was working fine and I was able to log in.  This new problem seemed to have happened between Thursday afternoon and Friday afternoon.

We are aware that some geocachers using API partner applications are running into an error during the authorization process since our last update.

HQ has been providing notice to API partners for several months to update their authorization process ahead of an update that was implemented last week. It is very likely that users' inability to login to Wherigo Foundation results from the necessary update not being completed on the WF side. If you're having trouble updating on the WF side, then please contact HQ's API team. (We have not received contact from you via the partner email address as of today.)

• Helpful 1

It seems partners@ was the wrong address.  It also looks like I hadn't updated my partner email address with Groundspeak, so the email went to the email address I discontinued using and checking a couple years ago.  All praise be to Annie, who kindly sent that email address a copy of the email, so it was sitting at the top of the mountain of spam (even email addresses you only use with geocachers aren't safe when someone's account is exposed).

You can log into Kit now.  I'll update the WF site after this.

I keep thinking about updating one or the other.  Updating Kit would be fine.  Updating the WF site and trying to extend Wherigo's capabilities is overstepping it without getting Groundspeak behind it again (so it's not a wasted effort), and I'm not going to ask until I have commitment from a community team and a plan in place.  It's not a one-person show.

• Upvote 1
On 4/9/2024 at 4:48 AM, Ranger Fox said:

It seems partners@ was the wrong address.  It also looks like I hadn't updated my partner email address with Groundspeak, so the email went to the email address I discontinued using and checking a couple years ago.  All praise be to Annie, who kindly sent that email address a copy of the email, so it was sitting at the top of the mountain of spam (even email addresses you only use with geocachers aren't safe when someone's account is exposed).

You can log into Kit now.  I'll update the WF site after this.

I keep thinking about updating one or the other.  Updating Kit would be fine.  Updating the WF site and trying to extend Wherigo's capabilities is overstepping it without getting Groundspeak behind it again (so it's not a wasted effort), and I'm not going to ask until I have commitment from a community team and a plan in place.  It's not a one-person show.

Nice done! Thank you!

I can't understand why Groundspeak drops Wherigo like that. With good further development of the project and modern smartphones with an internet connection... so much would be possible...