Wherigo\\kit

Afterburned

1 hour ago, Path Pacer said:

I had my iPhone friend retest the cartridge today, and it still had the question marks all over it. I guess I'll have to retype all the text in again.

I don't understand.  If I impersonate you and download the GWZ from Kit, it downloads without the text obfuscation.  However, when I look at what you have uploaded to Wherigo.com, it still has the text obfuscation.

... ... ...

Oh... you're using the fun little thing in Kit to send the cartridge directly to Wherigo.com...  Oh...  I wonder if Kit has the string obfuscation there?  Hmm...  ... ... yes, yes it is.

Okay, so you were using the link to send the cartridge directly to Wherigo.com instead of download the GWZ and upload it manually.  I didn't realize that, so didn't test that way, and my instructions from before assumed you instead were downloading the GWZ and uploading it to Wherigo.com.  That explains why what I did didn't work (it's not mysterious: I disabled text obfuscation for generating the GWZ from that page, but the part about sending directly to Wherigo.com had a manual setting in its URL that overrode my setting because I'm a good programmer and leave those things to be decided at the top level so I don't have to remove the feature entirely so I can later do my testing to figure out where things went wrong, so I do disable the requests causing the text obfuscation at the top level, but that means if I don't get them all, "fun" situations like this happen that make people question my competency, then I decide to do run-on sentences because the situation is embarrassing and I caused some people to waste time).

<Deep breath>

Go ahead and do it one. last. time.  I'll check what was uploaded to your cartridge's listing myself after you have uploaded it but before you send someone else out there.  Just make sure you refresh the page on Kit before doing the publish to avoid your browser caching the page and not getting the updated script file.

For now, that's it for me tonight.

Yup.  That worked.  I don't see the text obfuscation code in there.

It occurs to me that I should probably have suggested creating a cartridge where you live, sending it over to Wherigo.com but not publishing it, then download and play it in the convenience of your own home.  I've been wondering if I should offer that as a feature in Kit v2: you can choose to have a linear cartridge collapsed to a single point so you could play through the entire thing without moving so you could text the questions, answers, and messages.  It's something that would be valuable to me as a tester, but I don't know if anyone else would find it useful, so I haven't created something like that.  I do, though, find myself moving zones to my house when I'm testing events in someone's cartridge.  I then move between the rooms with my desktop and the Plant That Must Not Die to test the cartridge.

Anyway, while we're on the topic, is there something you'd like to see in Kit v2?  (Yes, I'll have to get better about text obfuscation to offer it in v2.  I wonder how the other builders do it, especially with the European character set?)

It does have an online test function, and it worked fine in my real-world Oregon and on my phone. I don't have an iPhone, so I wouldn't have seen the problem anyway. I only knew about it when my iPhone friend told me.

As for Kit v2, it would be good if the picture function automatically modified the picture so it only took up the first quarter of the screen. I used a few narrow pictures, which the module displayed at full width, which in turn made narrow pictures really long and pushed the text way down. I ended up dragging the problem pics into PowerPoint, adding a wider transparent box over the top, grouping them, then saving it as an image.

3 hours ago, Path Pacer said:

As for Kit v2, it would be good if the picture function automatically modified the picture so it only took up the first quarter of the screen. I used a few narrow pictures, which the module displayed at full width, which in turn made narrow pictures really long and pushed the text way down. I ended up dragging the problem pics into PowerPoint, adding a wider transparent box over the top, grouping them, then saving it as an image.

Aside from how the different player apps handle pictures, such as automatic resizing, I could probably do something about that.

What do you think: what about a setting you can set personally for your account where you control the maximum width and/or height of all pictures export by Kit?  There could be a few canned settings for this, such as maximum compatibility, higher res for smartphones, etc.  Of course, that wouldn't fix the times where narrow pictures were resized by the apps.  Hmm...  I could make it where you could set a range for width and height, but then I guess I'd have to give the author the option of expanding the picture to the minimum size or having it displayed centered on a white background.  Then I'd also have to make sure it's saved in either the original photo format or JPG, the latter for compatibility with Garmin.

There are so many little things that can be done with photos.  I'm going to have to think of a way to present it in such a way that it doesn't introduce complexity.  It could always be an advanced setting as I don't mind everyone starting with defaults and, if they want, tweaking those settings as they gain more experience.  I still have to make sure, after all that, Kit is flat out easy to use, but can be expanded as people gain experience.  (And I still have to figure out if I can make a freeform kit, which would allow people to do anything while still keeping things fairly easy to understand.  I'm giving myself the full year to do anything I want with Kit, so let's see.  And whenever the open source update to Visual Studio Team Services comes out, I can fully open source it so others can contribute their time.)

I like the way the pictures are handled now, that is using the max width of the screen. If the pic is significantly wider than it is tall, it fits quite well. Perhaps that's all we need to know.

Or you could just make it so the picture is centered and the bottom only comes down to the top quarter or third. Fill in the sides with white or transparent background. That would make narrow pictures pretty small though, but it would work well for squares.

On 2/3/2018 at 11:35 AM, Path Pacer said:

Or you could just make it so the picture ... only comes down to the top quarter or third.

The devices on which Wherigo is run can have different resolutions.  Media sizing would be best decided upon and performed with the player app itself.  Instead of using tricks to determine how to size the graphics, I believe the responsibility for correctly sizing graphics should be left to the player app.

I have been playing with the kit, and it is great - I have had an issue show up when running on the emulator in my attempts to build whereigos, when I go to the last place, I don't get last dialog to appear?  This is using the basic tourist guide kit, and not even having questions, just having a dialog appear when you get within 8 meters.  I seem to recall having a similar problem if I asked questions at each stage though.  All worked well until the last one.  Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I think I had Kit shift the size of the last location to be a couple meters, the reason being it's assumed someone is hiding a cache there and we needed the player to get closer.  I'll take a look at it later this evening or tomorrow night, but I suspect I'm still using OnProximity when the emulator cartridge is built.  OnProximity means that, to trigger the events, you have to drag the icon close to the location in the emulator, and not directly into the location (because this would correctly emulate someone approaching the location).  Anyway, I'll have a look and see if I can fiddle with some things.

• Upvote 1

It'll work fine live, yes.  I just don't like it when people are confused about using the emulator with the cartridge.  The whole goal of Kit is to be an entry-level builder to make it easier for people to create cartridges.  When/if they're ready to learn in the future how cartridges are put together, they can export those cartridges to other builders.

On 4/26/2018 at 9:27 AM, JAKKTeam said:

I have been playing with the kit, and it is great - I have had an issue show up when running on the emulator in my attempts to build whereigos, when I go to the last place, I don't get last dialog to appear?  This is using the basic tourist guide kit, and not even having questions, just having a dialog appear when you get within 8 meters.  I seem to recall having a similar problem if I asked questions at each stage though.  All worked well until the last one.  Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Okay, I looked at the cartridge.  The last location is indeed smaller than the others.  This is intentional with Kit (I'll explain why later).  When playing the cartridge in the emulator, the box is small enough that you have to make a little effort to drag the maker into the box.  This won't affect the game when played in the field on a player app.

I'm not sure what you mean about a similar problem at each stage if you ask questions.  But, in the emulator, the cartridge is wired so that you have to drag the marker inside the box while in the field you just have to get close.  (For those wondering, Kit uses OnEnter when sending a cartridge to Webwigo, but OnProximity when people download cartridges or send them directly to Wherigo.com.  This prevents issues surrounding the Garmin players liking to zero out if OnEnter is used with small zones.)

Now, about why Kit creates smaller final zones.  To save on processing and calculation, it's understandable if some player apps might give you the distance to a zone's center while others would give you the distance to the nearest edge of a zone.  In Wherigo, precision isn't usually necessary, so it's fine to guide people to within five to ten meters of something.  However, the final zone, if it contains a geocache, is different.  At times, you need it precise, to function like a point instead of a square.  Because of this, Kit shrinks the final zone, making sure those playing the cartridge have to get closer to the actual coordinates.  That's why the final zone is usually smaller than the rest.

Thanks for your great support on this.  The kit worked great as an intro to this.  You are correct we tried this live and it worked great.  Went back and tried it again in the emulator and everything works great, and maybe now its time to move into the next level of understanding on the platform!

I needed to update Kit to use the new geocaching API before the old one is shut off.  If you experience problems logging in or publishing cartridges, please let me know.  I'm also now using SSL.

If you're still using the old 2011 era URL Wherigo.rangerfox.com URL, please start using kit.wherigofoundation.com.  I did buy a certificate for the old URL (after I saw someone was still using it), but I'll soon remove it and host a redirection page there.

I have a test version of the WF site ready to go, but I'm holding off so I can test it a little more.  I'm a bit tired from working on this all day and into the night.

Edited by Ranger Fox
  • Helpful 1

Thank you so much for updating Wherigo kit! Sounds like exhausting work. We all really appreciate the work that goes into keeping the website working. Kit has made Wherigo accessible to the geocaching community in such a huge way.

I am looking forward to seeing the updates to WF too. Thank you again. 

9 hours ago, tonkawajingles said:

I'm new to Wherigo Kit. I'm not new to computers or programming.

I started a cartridge, DZ, and want to test it on my iPhone as I work on it.

My question is: How do I load the cartridge on my iPhone for testing?

Thanks,

TJ

There are a couple ways to do it.  The way I usually go about it is to tell Kit to upload the cartridge to the WF site, then I go to the WF cartridge listing on my phone's browser (but not in the Wherigo app) and download it that way.  I can go over this in more detail, but I think you know what I'm talking about.

By WF I presume you are referring to Wherigo Foundation. The publish to foundation link always returns an error. 

Was able to get cartridge on phone by publishing to Wherigo.com. 

Next question: how do I get the cartridge into another builder? I can’t load Urwigo, the webpage won’t load, Earwigo hasn’t responded to request for account, and the Groundspeak Builder says source is not proper format. 

You can get a cartridge into Urwigo by downloading the GWZ from Kit, same as you would for publishing to Wherigo.com.  In Urwigo, you can tell it to import a cartridge made with Groundspeak's builder application.  At this time, Kit maintains backwards compatibility with Groundspeak's builder.  (This, actually, is preventing me from doing some rather interesting stuff, such as offering multilingual cartridges.)

If you use Groundspeak's builder, make sure to have the two patches installed (64-bit and Google Maps) or nothing will work properly in that builder.  They're pinned posts in this forum.

On 4/9/2019 at 3:14 PM, Ranger Fox said:

You can get a cartridge into Urwigo by downloading the GWZ from Kit, same as you would for publishing to Wherigo.com.  In Urwigo, you can tell it to import a cartridge made with Groundspeak's builder application.  At this time, Kit maintains backwards compatibility with Groundspeak's builder.  (This, actually, is preventing me from doing some rather interesting stuff, such as offering multilingual cartridges.)

If you use Groundspeak's builder, make sure to have the two patches installed (64-bit and Google Maps) or nothing will work properly in that builder.  They're pinned posts in this forum.

While the link to Urwigo appears to be valid, Moderator Note: Use this updated link: http://www.urwigo.cz, the webpage times out as unable to connect.

So, how do I get a copy of Urwigo?

I was able to get an Earwigo account so I will be working with it also.

Appreciate your help and efforts at getting  me pointed in the right direction:)

Tkj

Hi!

I have updated the cartridges for my Wherigo Why Villilae (part 1)? (GC6EM2X) due to the changes in the environment the Wherigo in placed in. In my mind the versions updated are now versions 3, but the English version is now versioned as 1.0 and the Finnish version is versioned as 1.2. Is there a way to change these version numbers to keep updated with the development? 

br, Mrs Forestress

I did ask this question in another thread, but it may be better to ask in here..
I'm in the process of creating a simple cartridge - I used Kit, Questions and Answers template. I want the game to be played wherever it is opened. I have clicked on the "play anywhere" after moving it over to Wherigo, but I am assuming I am missing a step? If you could help, it would be very much appreciated!

-Sam

The play anywhere on Wherigo.com is only for classification purposes. There’s some code that you’d have to add to the cartridge. 

If I made this as a feature in Kit, it would break builder compatibility because I’d have to use a zone name, the final zone, in the script, which would mean you’d run across nasty errors if you were to rename it in another builder. 

I’m hesitant to give up that compatibility. 

When I was building the demo cartridge, I noticed the player's current location will drift north on Groundspeak's emulator despite the marker remaining stationary.  It's quite odd.

This is the cartridge: https://www.wherigofoundation.com/WG1BV

1. So, open the cartridge in notepad and copy everything between the lines "-- #Author Functions Go Here# --" and "-- #End Author Functions# --" into the same place in the Kit-created cartridge.
  2. Starting at the top of your cartridge, find the text "StartingLocation".  Copy its value.  This is your cartridge's original starting location.  It will look something like "ZonePoint(51.429678,-0.426465,0)".  (People will now look on Google to wonder where those coordinates lead: the middle of a football pitch in London.)
  3. Replace the "StartingLocation" value with "Wherigo.INVALID_ZONEPOINT".  Do not copy double quotes unless I tell you: I am not telling you.  This will make your cartridge play anywhere.
  4. Copy what's to the left of ".StartingLocation".  You will also need it later.  This is the cartridge's name.
  5. Find the text "cartPlayAnywhereDemo:OnStart()".  Replace it with the cartridge's name, plus ":OnStart()".
  6. Remove the line "zitemUtils:MoveTo(Player)" because it's for demo purposes only.
  7. Find the text "function zitemUtils:OnSetCenter()" and remove that line and the four under, through the line with "end".  These were also for demo purposes only.
  8. Find the line with "local zcart = cartPlayAnywhereDemo".  Replace "cartPlayAnywhereDemo" with your cartridge's name.
  9. Find the line with "local oldCentroid = ZonePoint(51.429678,-0.426465,0)".  Replace the "ZonePoint" etc. part with your cartridge's original starting location.
  10. Find the line with "print("Player Location:".  Delete it.  Some apps might crash if print statements remain.  This is for the emulator.
  11. Find "-- ZTimers --" above where you are editing.  Those seven lines that start with "ztimerPlayAnywhereTimer" need to be copied into the same spot in your cartridge.  Replace "cartPlayAnywhereDemo" with your cartridge's name.
  12. Save and thank goodness there isn't a step thirteen.

Some things to note:

• I had to use a timer because, in the emulator, the player's starting location is something invalid.  I think it's set on the first second the cartridge is active.  Further, I believe most real player apps set this value before the cartridge is loaded.  It opens up a whole new world to cheat prevention.
  • In the emulator, if I left the player where he is and used the item in my cartridge to keep setting the cartridge's center location, the zones would drift five degrees north by about ten meters or something.  Looking at the logged output (what you're deleting in step #10), the player's location seems to change and also drift north despite the player's marker position never moving.  Bizarre.
  • Because we're making the cartridge play anywhere in step #3, we lose the game's center point.  We need to capture it and bring it down to act as the initial centroid.  I could have chosen to determine all zones' relative distances by looking at their position to the first zone on the list.  I chose not to do this because I wanted everything to be relative to the cartridge's intended start position.  So I had to preserve this in some way.
  • This limits your cartridge to telling the player the cache's final location because you cannot have a geocache zone.  Likewise, the player might not be able to complete the cartridge because an object in real life might be in the way, such as fenced private property, a pond, or a building.  You're better off designing the cartridge to be played on a football pitch (soccer field) and making sure it can fit despite how the pitch is rotated.

This took about two hours to write and test.  You attended Geowoodstock last year.  If you're there this year, find me, say hi, and treat me to brisket or something.  At the very least, introduce yourself and say hi.  And congratulations on your upcoming 4K.

I have a few questions in regards to Wherigo\\Kit.  Also I want to thank Ranger Fox for developing this software.

1) For each Zone - description.  Does this show up for the player after it has been uploaded to Wherigo?  When I play it in webwigo, the description does not show.

2) Proximity in meters is set at 8.  Does that mean the zone is 8 meters or 24 feet from the center out or does it tell the player that he is approaching a zone?  

3) I have set up this Wherigo close to my location to make adjustments and test.  Then I will move it about 35 miles away.  Do you have to move each zone to the new location or can it be moved all in one step?

4) How do you play on my iPhone before it is published.  Do I export via GWC and play it in the WherigoFoundation (WF) app?

5) I have about 22 zones is that a problem with players?  Using Question and Answers kit.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-13-at-5.19.18-PM.jpg

Edited by gjhimages

1) Zone descriptions: When playing a cartridge, you're shown a list of zones or locations you can visit at that time.  When you select one of those zones, the picture and description are shown.  There are apps that, when only one zone is available, tend to take players right to the navigation screen, skipping the description.  That's not in the specification.

2) Proximity: This means the player must get to within this distance to start the actions you define.  In the example, the player must get to within eight meters.  Through my caching and Wherigo playing experience, I have found this to be a nice distance.  At times, you might need to decrease this number if you are trying to get someone to go to a specific point.  However, you run the risk of making it tedious, trying to get the person's device to count down.  Usually, close is good enough.  I tend to suggest a zone with a geocache should have a smaller proximity.

3) Relocating a cartridge: Yes, you'll have to move everything.  Typically, Wherigo cartridges are based on landmarks of interest.  It's unusual for someone to move an entire cartridge and want to keep the zone positions the same.

4) Playing before publishing: There are a couple ways you can do this.  Officially, you can get the GWZ file from Kit and upload it to Wherigo.com, where you can submit it and uncheck the option to show it in the listing.  You then grab your phone, go to your browser, log in to Wherigo.com, go to your account, view your cartridge list, select the cartridge, and download it as if you were playing someone else's cartridge.  The Wherigo app will then be brought up and the cartridge loaded into it.  Unofficially, there's another listing service that can do this, but the process is just about the same.

5) Zone quantity: Because you're using the Q&A kit, each zone will appear one at a time, so it's not a problem.  The question you should always ask is if the experience you have created will be enjoyable for your audience.  If there's a reason to have so many and it's fun for everyone, sure.  If your audience just feels it's tedious, that number of zones will be a problem.  In all things, keep your audience in mind.

1 hour ago, Ranger Fox said:

1) Zone descriptions: When playing a cartridge, you're shown a list of zones or locations you can visit at that time.  When you select one of those zones, the picture and description are shown.  There are apps that, when only one zone is available, tend to take players right to the navigation screen, skipping the description.  That's not in the specification.

2) Proximity: This means the player must get to within this distance to start the actions you define.  In the example, the player must get to within eight meters.  Through my caching and Wherigo playing experience, I have found this to be a nice distance.  At times, you might need to decrease this number if you are trying to get someone to go to a specific point.  However, you run the risk of making it tedious, trying to get the person's device to count down.  Usually, close is good enough.  I tend to suggest a zone with a geocache should have a smaller proximity.

3) Relocating a cartridge: Yes, you'll have to move everything.  Typically, Wherigo cartridges are based on landmarks of interest.  It's unusual for someone to move an entire cartridge and want to keep the zone positions the same.

4) Playing before publishing: There are a couple ways you can do this.  Officially, you can get the GWZ file from Kit and upload it to Wherigo.com, where you can submit it and uncheck the option to show it in the listing.  You then grab your phone, go to your browser, log in to Wherigo.com, go to your account, view your cartridge list, select the cartridge, and download it as if you were playing someone else's cartridge.  The Wherigo app will then be brought up and the cartridge loaded into it.  Unofficially, there's another listing service that can do this, but the process is just about the same.

5) Zone quantity: Because you're using the Q&A kit, each zone will appear one at a time, so it's not a problem.  The question you should always ask is if the experience you have created will be enjoyable for your audience.  If there's a reason to have so many and it's fun for everyone, sure.  If your audience just feels it's tedious, that number of zones will be a problem.  In all things, keep your audience in mind.

Thanks for your answers.  They helped  

1) So the Zone descriptions may show up depending on the players app?  I have done some photoshop to the photos and wanted to know if some of the Zone descriptions would show or do I need to place it within the Action - comments. 

3) Just to clarify, I want to test the cartridge near my home to make sure I do not see anything that is not working, grammar or punctation  that maya need corrected.  Then will move the whole cartridge 30 miles to the east, but will have to move each zone to the correct position.  Then test it again.

5) The amount of Zones is loosing following a movie script.  But I will review the Quantity of the Zones to see if I need to take some out.

Again thanks for all of your answers.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:45 AM, Ranger Fox said:

Save and thank goodness there isn't a step thirteen.

Hello! It is very interesting seeing this coding!

I have very carefully worked through your steps which are very clear, thank you!

I have saved the updated lua, and uploaded the new cartridge, but when playing I get the following two pop ups:

"Lua Alert: Don't know how to call '<null>'"

and 

"Lua Alert: luaNext: first parameter is not a table"

If i hit OK on both of those errors, the cartridge opens but still wants me to go to the starting coordinates which as are virtual point and in the middle of a reserve and can't be accessed - which is why I would really like to get this "play anywhere" working! 
Thanks for helping! 

-Sam

I looks like you tested your cartridge with the iPhone Wherigo app. Am I wrong? [EDIT: yes, I am. Forget about it and read next post, please.]

Could you please test with an Android player and/or with an emulator?

Edited by Tungstène
Don't waste your time! Go and read next post! ;-)
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, Tungstène said:

I looks like you tested your cartridge with the iPhone Wherigo app. Am I wrong?

Could you please test with an Android player and/or with an emulator?

Oops! I mixed my notes... These error messages are from OpenWIG (used by WhereYouGo and other Android players). Anyway, you could try the workaround below...

You'll have to replace this code:

function MoveZonesRelativeToCentroid(zcart, newCentroid, oldCentroid)

local allZones = zcart:GetAllOfType('Zone')
 local previousStates = {}
 for _,zone in ipairs(allZones) do
  if zone ~= nil then
    MoveZoneRelativeToCentroid(zone, newCentroid, oldCentroid)
  end
 end

end

with this one:

function MoveZonesRelativeToCentroid(zcart, newCentroid, oldCentroid)

for _,zone in ipairs(zcart.AllZObjects) do
  if zone ~= nil then
    if Wherigo.NoCaseEquals(tostring(zone)), "a Zone instance") then
      MoveZoneRelativeToCentroid(zone, newCentroid, oldCentroid)
    end
  end
 end

end

Could you please give it a try?

• Helpful 1
3 hours ago, Tungstène said:

I looks like you tested your cartridge with the iPhone Wherigo app. Am I wrong

I did test using the iPhone Wherigo app! ?

Interestingly, I don't have that complete script you mention originally in my lua.. I only have the first line:

"function MoveZonesRelativeToCentroid(zcart, newCentroid, oldCentroid)"

I have included the above, and I no longer have error messages, however it still wants me to go to the starting point to begin.

-Thanks

Edited by EatSleepCacheRepeat_
Added extra info
19 minutes ago, EatSleepCacheRepeat_ said:

I don't have that complete script you mention originally in my lua.. I only have the first line:

Really? Is there really nothing written under this (first) line?

Your player shouldn't start anything in this case.

This code should be in the copied and pasted code Ranger Fox gave to you.

Edited by Tungstène
Precision about code's location
  • Helpful 1
6 minutes ago, Tungstène said:

Really? Is there really nothing written under this (first) line?

Your player shouldn't start anything in this case.

When I had the pins over my house to test it worked fine..

I have tried adding your original script, but it still wanted me to go to the starting location.

I changed it for your alternate text, but when uploading on Wherigo i get this error:

"Error Occurred

Exception of type 'System.ApplicationException' was thrown."

I don't know what else I could suggest. I have to give up.

But please note that there was no "original script" to add, as this script was already present in the source code Ranger Fox gave to you.

Maybe you should try to start over again, beginning with this post (up to step 11):

And insert what this other post suggested (after step 11 and before step 12 (don't forget to get back to previous post to read step 12)):

Maybe it wasn't clear enough, but you have to download Ranger Fox's Play Anywhere source code, which is a LUA file "hidden" in a GWZ file (GWZ is a ZIP file with just another file extension).

• Helpful 1
31 minutes ago, Tungstène said:

But please note that there was no "original script" to add, as this script was already present in the source code Ranger Fox gave to you.

I found this - I did overlook it the first time

I have done the same thing from start to finish and had the same outcome as the first time.
The Ranger Fox Edits gave me the error messages within the app, and still wanted me to go to the start point. Your fix gives me an error message when I upload.

Do I have any other options for making this very simple game Play Anywhere, or do I need to learn Urwigo - which I kinda wish I had of done a week ago as this is now due to be released for an event tomorrow..

I noticed the discussion, but ran out of time to reply (due to having to maintain my virtual).  I'll split out this conversation later on and then reply to it.  It has gotten to be its own tangent and I simply must keep things organized.  But, for know, I'm just posting to say that I know about the conversation, I'll reply when I get time, and that I'm thankful of the help Tungstène has been giving.

• Love 1

I just built my first cartridge and did the first test.  I was not happy how it ends.  My 10th zone is at the cache, but I couldn't get the program to quit when the person arrive at the cache.  It still gives me options to naviate or start.  How do we actually stop this? (i used stop emulator but it seems to do nothing?).  If you are interested to see what it looks like - you can check it out at Wherigo.com - Historic sites at Gallaudet.  

The ending of that Wherigo is somethign that I am not happy with.  ANy tips would be appreicated.

For the rest of the cartridge, the zone disappears the moment you arrive at it.  This is done for simplicity: I don't want the zone's proximity event to fire a second time, starting the whole chain all over again (and the Garmin Player has a bug where if a dialog or input displays while an input is already on the screen, the GPSr will crash so bad it shuts itself off).  Another reason I did this is so people can take the resulting cartridge and learn from it, without the fancy stuff I could have added getting in the way and complicating the learning process.  The final zone is done a bit different.  It should not disappear because the player is now trying to find the cache.  It doesn't do anyone any good if the zone disappears when the person approaches it.  You lose that arrow and distance, making it hard to find some well-hidden caches.  So the final zone really just becomes a pointer to the cache, as if you were navigating normally to a traditional.

So are you saying that I was doing it right?

4 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:

For the rest of the cartridge, the zone disappears the moment you arrive at it.  This is done for simplicity: I don't want the zone's proximity event to fire a second time, starting the whole chain all over again (and the Garmin Player has a bug where if a dialog or input displays while an input is already on the screen, the GPSr will crash so bad it shuts itself off).  Another reason I did this is so people can take the resulting cartridge and learn from it, without the fancy stuff I could have added getting in the way and complicating the learning process.  The final zone is done a bit different.  It should not disappear because the player is now trying to find the cache.  It doesn't do anyone any good if the zone disappears when the person approaches it.  You lose that arrow and distance, making it hard to find some well-hidden caches.  So the final zone really just becomes a pointer to the cache, as if you were navigating normally to a traditional.

I just did a point to point cartridge using your /Kit program.  I works great!  

But - there is always one of those - when I field test it using an Android phone - at each question I get a small box stating "Scan QR Code".  That has confused cachers on previous cartridges.

I have looked at the lua file and see no mention of QR Code. 

Elsewhere on the net - I see a mention or two of this and the consensus appears to be that it is in the Wherugo app. 

IF so. is there any way to turn it off?  Is it because there is another app that is a QR reader that is "infringing" on the Wherugo app?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

HwyGuy

23 hours ago, HwyGuy said:

I just did a point to point cartridge using your /Kit program.  I works great!  

But - there is always one of those - when I field test it using an Android phone - at each question I get a small box stating "Scan QR Code".  That has confused cachers on previous cartridges.

I have looked at the lua file and see no mention of QR Code. 

Elsewhere on the net - I see a mention or two of this and the consensus appears to be that it is in the Wherugo app. 

IF so. is there any way to turn it off?  Is it because there is another app that is a QR reader that is "infringing" on the Wherugo app?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

HwyGuy

The problem is with the WhereYouGo app (never heard of any Wherugo app). Its developer thought it could be useful to add a QR code scanner to the free form input events, so he did. Well. It causes a lot of misunderstanding, I'm afraid. Nobody ever convinced him to get rid of this "feature". (But you can try, or start a new app project).

There is no easy way to turn it off. The best we can do is to inform our geoplayers that no QR codes are used in this adventure and that players should not pay attention to any mention of these codes.

That's why I tried creating the Wherigo Foundation.  It was to unite all developers together so we could create features like this and release them across all necessary platforms: builders, compiler (which generally controls the specification), and player apps.  If you didn't have even one of those, you'd confuse the community and have things that wouldn't or couldn't work.  In the end, that one piece--the compiler--was the problem.  For us to make updates to the compiler meant we'd have to host the site that ran the compiler.  That's why there's that Wherigo Foundation cartridge listing site.  But since Groundspeak never took us up on the offer to run Wherigo, we couldn't replace Groundspeak's site as the official one.  And I decided that if we couldn't do that, it wouldn't be right to introduce new features that Groundspeak's site couldn't compile and serve.  I think doing so would have been a huge disservice to the community.  Though I wonder now if doing so would have actually caused Groundspeak to let us run Wherigo...  Tough to say.

• Upvote 1