Wherigo\\kit

Afterburned

I have read the thread but I'm still uncertain. Can you get a completion code? If so, how do you end the cartridge? (i.e. set this zone to be the last)

For cartridges published since the last time Kit was updated, the completion code appears as an item once the cartridge is complete. Cartridge completion (ending a cartridge) occurs automatically once all zones have been reached, all questions have been answered, and all messages have been shown. In order words, once there isn't anything more to do in the cartridge, the cartridge completion stuff is done.

Now that Halloween is over, I'll take a short break to let my wrist stop hurting. After that, I'll get back to working on the Wherigo Foundation site. I have another idea I want to add to it: QR and cache codes. You put the final's coordinates into the site and click that you want to leave a code at the final coordinates instead of using completion codes. Thus, the player has to enter a hand-written code or scan the QR code (it's up to the cartridge owner which to use) within 100 feet / 33 meters of the coordinates in order to be able to log a cartridge completion log on the site. Also, I've taken up writing CSS using LESS, so I'd like to convert all the CSS to this format one day. (And, of course, the site is still waiting on Groundspeak--for now. I'll reevaluate this stance when the new player app is ready. It's not like you can't easily find the site right now with a search engine.)

Not sure if this is a compiler issue or Kit issue. I have a cartridge built with Kit that is getting an error on the download page of Wherigo.

Riddles in the Dark

I am not sure how to go about fixing it. I have tried publishing it through Kit and that tries to make a entirely new Cartridge page. I then did a manual update with a GWZ from Kit and that update fine but still get the error on the download page of Wherigo after the update.

Anyone have any ideas of how I can fix this issue?

Not sure if this is a compiler issue or Kit issue. I have a cartridge built with Kit that is getting an error on the download page of Wherigo.

Riddles in the Dark

I am not sure how to go about fixing it. I have tried publishing it through Kit and that tries to make a entirely new Cartridge page. I then did a manual update with a GWZ from Kit and that update fine but still get the error on the download page of Wherigo after the update.

Wherigo.com does not like any foreign characters (tough for us foreigners). Standard procedure:

- remove all text from the cartridge description on Wherigo.com

- try again

- if fixed, re-insert text portions till it dies again -> identify strange character

- if not fixed, I have no clue :laughing:

Riddles in the Dark

Wherigo.com does not like any foreign characters (tough for us foreigners). Standard procedure:

- remove all text from the cartridge description on Wherigo.com

- try again

- if fixed, re-insert text portions till it dies again -> identify strange character

- if not fixed, I have no clue :laughing:

TWO THUMBS UP!!!!

My user name is surrounded with quotes "Nessmuk" and removing the quotes around it in the author field of the Wherigo cartridge page seemed to fix the issue.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Nessmuk

Hello Ranger Fox,

congratulation on your superb Editor. Make it much easier to design a nice Wherigo.

But after trying to make my work into a gwc I get the following message:

Error

An internal error occurred when using the new cartridge compiler to compile the cartridge. Please report the following:

Cartridge:Hexenbande unterwegs

An item with the same key has already been added.

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value)

at WF.Compiler.Parser.CheckGWZ(ZipFile zip, Cartridge cartridge)

at WF.Compiler.Compiler.Compile(String filename, DeviceType device, String username, Int64 userid, String completionCode)

at Wherigo.Data.Compiler.CompileService(String filePath, String username, String completioncode)

at Wherigo.UI.API.APIv1.Compile(Byte[] gwz, String username, String completioncode, String& error)

at RangerFox.Wherigo.Kit.UI.Carts.Download.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

Thread was being aborted.

at System.Threading.Thread.AbortInternal()

at System.Threading.Thread.Abort(Object stateInfo)

at System.Web.HttpResponse.AbortCurrentThread()

at System.Web.HttpResponse.End()

at RangerFox.Wherigo.Kit.UI.Carts.Download.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

Do you have any idea why this is happening?

Best Regards

Jörn Schmidt

Hello Ranger Fox,

thanks again for your help!

I may have found the reason for the crash while compiling the gwc... I don't understand why but the crash seems to happen when I put a picture for the cartridge in "Edit Cartrige Listing". With picture I geht the crash while compiling the gwc - without picture it works like a charm!

So an easy workaround is just to have no picture for the cartridge itself.

Pictures for zones, messages and questions seem to work just fine. No problem with them.

And german characters do also work fine.

Best regards

Jörn

Edited by Schizziblixt

I'm wondering if the Wherigo Foundation compiler can't handle non-English characters (which would be a real shame). I'll create a GWZ of the cartridge and send it to charlenni, who is handling the compiler.

I would be fairly amazed if that's the case. Charlenni is a long-standing Earwigo fan and one of the elements of Earwigo that he promotes is the ability to do accented characters. Earwigo has a few users in Japan now; I don't know if anyone's made a Japanese-language cartridge, but it ought to work without any problems. A nice challenge for the robustness of the builder/compiler/player.

I may have found the reason for the crash while compiling the gwc... I don't understand why but the crash seems to happen when I put a picture for the cartridge in "Edit Cartrige Listing". With picture I geht the crash while compiling the gwc - without picture it works like a charm!

Could you please send me the picture you're trying to use? I have pictures on other cartridges and they seem to work. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the image's format.

I would be fairly amazed if that's the case.

I probably shouldn't have tossed that out as a possibility at that time, then.

Okay,

as aid before: The german "Umlaute" are not the problem.

The pictures I try to use are JPGs. I tried several different pictures and get the problem everytime when I try to compile the GWC. With picture I get the error. Without picture it compiles fine.

Are there any special restrictions for the usable pictures? The pictures I use are small (400x720 - 19,7 KB, 168x168 - 11,3 KB, 204x204 - 8,25 KB).

I will send you (Ranger Fox) some of the troublemakers via e-mail.

Update: Just tested png and gif - sorry to say that these give the same error.

Edited by Schizziblixt

Okay,

as aid before: The german "Umlaute" are not the problem.

The pictures I try to use are JPGs. I tried several different pictures and get the problem everytime when I try to compile the GWC. With picture I get the error. Without picture it compiles fine.

Are there any special restrictions for the usable pictures? The pictures I use are small (400x720 - 19,7 KB, 168x168 - 11,3 KB, 204x204 - 8,25 KB).

I will send you (Ranger Fox) some of the troublemakers via e-mail.

Update: Just tested png and gif - sorry to say that these give the same error.

Your first photo listed is way to big for Wherigo's, have you tried reducing the picture sizes to the media specs available here Media Specs?

I was able to reproduce your problem in my test cartridge with the images you sent me. Please try to make the changes now and see what happens. If you're successful, that's a bad thing for me. You see, Kit contacts the Wherigo Foundation site's Wherigo API to compile the cartridge. I couldn't reproduce the problem on my computer because my private builds are built using debugging information (.Net's debug build as opposed to a release build). I wanted to see line numbers in the error message you were getting, so I uploaded the Wherigo site in debug instead of release. The first test I did succeeded, so I switched over to the production Kit site and tried it there and it also worked. If this is the case, I'll package a cartridge for charlenni to look at. I'm puzzled about what's going on.

After I finish updating the Wherigo Foundation API, I'll remove the block I placed on all Kit accounts so you can play around with publishing to the Wherigo Foundation site. I ran out of time this evening to test the Wherigo API update cartridge method, so I didn't feel good about releasing this feature yet.

(When I get more time, I'll have to look to make sure Kit is resizing the pictures. I think it is.)

Well, it just means a little more work for me.

I created a stand-alone project with just the WF compiler in release mode and Schizziblixt's cartridge as a zip file. I couldn't get the error in this controlled environment. So, at the moment, I don't know where that's coming from. I'll have to spend some time rigging up a test version of the entire WF site in release mode to see if I can duplicate the problem on my computer. This is getting strange. For now, I'll leave the online WF site in debug mode to prevent this error for others while I investigate offline.

And I got up early today to finish what I was working on with the Wherigo Foundation API. Everyone can now use Kit to publish to the WF test site. Please keep in mind you're publishing to a test site and, when it's time to go live, it's very likely I will wipe all data on the WF site so I don't have test cartridges and log entries. Anyway, it's time to get ready to go to work. My holiday time starts tomorrow, but there's a year-end goal that must be met at work, so I might have to work through my holiday time until they tell me I can start taking it.

I really like this easy editor :)

i am trying to make a quiz but have a small problem with the multiple choice questions.

Is there any way for you yo extend the max number of characters in the answer boxes from todays 18

The choices

Global Positioning System

Geological Proprietary Service

Generic Pointing Solution

Is way to long to fit in there :(

i am trying to make a quiz but have a small problem with the multiple choice questions.

Is there any way for you yo extend the max number of characters in the answer boxes from todays 18

The choices

The problem with allowing more characters has to do with how multiple choice items are displayed within a Wherigo Player app--especially Garmin's. The player will display as many characters as possible in the button, the remaining characters being clipped. Thus, what you'd see for your first answer in a player is something like "Global Positi" and that's about it. By enforcing a maximum length on several text boxes, Kit prevents such problems before they happen.

The choices

The problem with allowing more characters has to do with how multiple choice items are displayed within a Wherigo Player app--especially Garmin's. The player will display as many characters as possible in the button, the remaining characters being clipped. Thus, what you'd see for your first answer in a player is something like "Global Positi" and that's about it. By enforcing a maximum length on several text boxes, Kit prevents such problems before they happen.

Ahh ok :(

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just wanted to hop in here and say thanks again for putting together Wherigo kit builder. I have really enjoyed using the builder and it has really opened up whole new realm of possibility. I have some friends in the Baton Rouge area who like me don't know very much about programming but have been wanting to design wherigos for the area. There are only two wherigos in the whole state and using kit builder we are currently working on trying to change that.

I know there has been a lot going on especially with all of the Wherigo foundation stuff. I was just curious if there was any progress with the "lights out kit?" Also another request, any possibility of adding "items" to the kit builder?

thanks again for this awesome tool Range Fox!

:D

I do hope to resume developing Kit after I finish with the Wherigo Foundation cartridge listing site and API. This is going to take a while. At least I didn't put the text "coming soon" next to the "lights out" kit!

If you want, feel free to test out deploying your cartridge to the Wherigo Foundation site from Kit. It's using the public Wherigo API.

Due to some requests, I have begun adding the Lights Out kit to Wherigo\\kit. This kit is in preview form only at the moment, so feel free to try it out. You'll be able to create everything you need for a cartridge, but you won't be able to build a GWZ or GWC from it just yet as I haven't added the build code just yet (hint: it's not trivial). I want to be done with the build code by mid-September. For now, I'll take a break, switch over to the Wherigo Foundation site, and finish the work I had begun there. I'm also trying to arrange a week-long number run around Denver for September, so if you know anyone who would be up for something like that, please have them contact me (I'd love to put together a group for this).

Please offer suggestions about the Lights Out kit in this thread. Though I tested the Q&A kit with the Lights Out changes, I'm hoping I didn't break something! Feel free to scold me for that, too.

-----

On a side note, I see some of you are using the Wherigo Foundation site to host your cartridges. That's fine; I won't delete them. Just make sure the link is to WherigoFoundation.com and not one of my other domains. I fixed the link in Kit, so I hope that's the only place the confusion is coming from--besides the search engines that have found the site.

Please offer suggestions about the Lights Out kit in this thread.

Cool project!

left column: change "Drag to reorder the zones." -> "Drag to reorder zone groups"

Have a hint/popup somewhere prominent: "right click on the map to get started"

Jump to the location of the group on the map when selecting it in the timeline.

Looks like a lot of work. Well done.

Please offer suggestions about the Lights Out kit in this thread. Though I tested the Q&A kit with the Lights Out changes, I'm hoping I didn't break something! Feel free to scold me for that, too.

Left column/ Tools: Klicking on "Edit Cartridge Listing" creates a new empty group after the cartridge edit procedure.

I'd like to say THANK YOU to Rangerfox for the awesome builder. It's super easy to use and extremely user friendly.

I'm looking forward to future upgrades and developments.

Question:

Is there anyway to encrypt or hide the final coordinates in a cartridge. I know some people will hack it anyway but I'd like it to be somewhat difficult.

Thanks!

About renaming "drag to reorder the zones": I'd figure someone would catch that. Something I noticed I needed to do, but it didn't impact the functionality.

The edit cartridge listing comment: That's an oopsie! This does impact the functionality, so I'll need to fix it sooner than later.

About hiding the final coordinates in a cartridge:

I think you might be thinking about typing out the final coordinates in a text message to the player (e.g. "You completed the cartridge! The cache can be found at N 12 34.567 W 89 01.234."). Instead of doing that, simply have the last zone be the final. Very few people will be able to get the final coordinates if you do this.

Here's a more complete answer to above:

Usually, it's sufficient just to put emulator protection on a cartridge or ask an open-ended question about something on a sign at the location. The next question you're likely to ask is if I can encrypt the answers. The answer is difficult. Yes, I could implement encryption. No, I can't implement it because part of the idea behind Wherigo\\kit is that you're able to download the GWZ, import/open it in another builder (namely, Urwigo and Groundspeak's builder), and continue working on it. If I were to implement encryption, I don't think Urwigo's import function would like me too much. For the most part, emulator protection seems to thwart most people's attempts to get the final coordinates.

My final word on hack protection:

You can apply all the protection you want: you can encrypt coordinates, create a final zone based off input throughout the cartridge, add emulator protection several layers thick, do numerical cyphers, and all sorts of crazy and strange stuff to prevent people from hacking or decompiling your cartridge. But haven't you forgotten it's far easier for someone to ask another where you hid your cache? No amount of technological protection in Wherigo can thwart a person with another's contact information. Only basic protection gives you the best return on the time you invested.

Thanks for this!

I was looking at using the Intercache thing simply because of the ease of use of its interface, but this is more legit.

This is probably a stupid question, and if there's a FAQ that answers it, I'd like to have a look. But I am wondering -- are there functionality differences between the four "types"? (Geocache/Fiction/Puzzle/Tour Guide)

What I really want to create, and eagerly await release of, is the non-linear "lights out" version -- is that possible with the steep-learning-curve gotta-be-a-programmer builders?

What I really want to create, and eagerly await release of, is the non-linear "lights out" version -- is that possible with the steep-learning-curve gotta-be-a-programmer builders?

You can absolutely do that with any one of the more complex builders. Have a look at this tutorial http://earwigo.net/WWB/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=create_your_first_cartridge:earwigo_tutorial_081.pdf (easy link for me, there might be others) and decide for yourself how hard it will be. If you are honestly willing to read a FAQ you should be the type of individual that can handle the other builders as well.

As for functionality differences between the different types, there are none. I imagine the idea Groundspeak had there was you'd be able to search for the Wherigo stories/games you'd like to play, rather than just play any and all that come out.

Kit was designed to remove the steep learning curve to building a Wherigo cartridge. Using a kit-based approach, you'd be able to make a cartridge faster and with less hassle than any other builder. Once you get familiar with Wherigo and want to do more, Kit allows you to export your cartridge file and open it within Urwigo or Groundspeak's Builder so you can learn how the cartridge would be made in those builders. Thus, Kit is a gateway towards building Wherigo cartridges with the fully-featured builders (while at the same time it allows you to churn out quick cartridges along its restrictive line).

I even considered adding my arcade-type cartridges as kits so you could create your own Whack-A-Lackey and Battleship cartridges linked to a certain location. I might add them later, but my current focus should always be with getting the WF site to replace Groundspeak's current Wherigo listing service.

Had an odd thing happen to one of my Kit carts. I removed two of my zones because the art pieces at both zones had been removed. That was the only thing I did. I built and uploaded a new file to the Wherigo site. I received a DNF log yesterday from a cacher and the final was indeed MIA. However, they also mentioned wrong answers being given as the correct ones, so today I went to the site and sure enough, my answers had changed, even within the choices I provided in my original cartridge. I have one that asks how many teeth there are in a sculpture and not only was the wrong answer selected, the right answer wasn't even listed anymore. I edited the cartridge on site, but it also appears that my photos are gone as well. Finally, I can't change the proximity distance. Even after saving it at 5, it reverts to 3 m. Any idea as to why that might happen?

Edited by coachstahly

I am working on my first one. I did a test run and I have some tweeking to do, then I will be able to get it uploaded to the site. The kit is easy to use but you have to do some trial and errors to figure how it all works in the field. Though a local cacher put out a lot of 2 stage ones, mine will have a few more stages in an area that is a nice walk in the park.

Edited by jellis

Had a question that I think I know the answer to, but wanted to be certain. I'm working on a Carnegie Library Wherigo and the final requires them to go into the library. If they leave the zone before answering the question to complete the cache (which they can answer once they find and sign the final), will the question reappear once they re-enter the zone the second time? I seem to remember it working that way, but can't remember.

No, it won't work that way. The Garmin Wherigo player has a bug that will shut off the device if an input is displayed, the user wanders out and back into the zone, and the zone's event causes another input (or the same one) to display at the same time. The simplest way to avoid this problem was to disable the zone (make it inactive) before the first message or input displays. The Garmin players do not give the player the option to cancel an input, but some cell phone player apps do. If a player cancels an input, the player will be stuck and unable to complete the cartridge.

What I'd suggest is to tell the user the next stage is in the library and leave the question displayed on the screen until the user can answer it. It doesn't matter if the user goes outside the zone at that point; the question will still be displayed. This is Wherigo's standard behavior, not something specific to Kit's implementation. That is, if you have a series of actions stemming from a user entering a zone, once the series is started (that first message or input displayed), the user can be as far away as he or she wants--even halfway around the world.

Someone asked me if there's a way a cartridge can be copied. He is trying to translate one of his cartridges. No, there wasn't a way to copy a cartridge produced by Kit. However, there is now. He asked me this morning and I worked on it after work and published it in the evening. How's that for turnaround time. Makes me feel good.

Anyway, this raises (again) an interesting point about multilingual cartridges. When/if the Wherigo Foundation site takes over Wherigo.com, I will either need a way to list multiple translations of a cartridge or Kit will need a way to offer multiple translations of the same cartridge. Either way, I do not want to see multiple cartridge listings for the same cartridge because someone is trying to offer translations. It's a lot easier with geocaches to offer multiple translations because you just do that on the cache listing page. For Wherigo, there's cartridge data that must be downloaded and played through. Ideally, the localization should happen at the cartridge level and the player app should be able to set the cartridge's language when the cartridge is started. Failing that, the user should be able to select a language when the cartridge starts.

Now, how in the world am I going to modify Kit's interface to give you another language? I think I know, but it's going to take some time for me to think through the idea and make sure the implementation results in a simple, easy to use UI (because that's Kit's purpose and advantage). Besides, October is approaching and I'm going to have very little free time.

Anyway, enjoy the new feature if you see a need for it! Please don't copy your cartridge 500 times just for fun and make me pay more hosting fees! (I'll come out with a way to delete cartridges soon after that.)

Hi Ranger Fox, Thanks for creating this awesome builder, I have created two Wherigo's using it and found it really simple to use. I have downloaded the GWC files to my phone and played them both, they work perfectly!!

The problem I'm having now is I cant upload them to Wherigo.com, using the publish to Wherigo.com button in kit it uploads from kit, asks for my password, and then after a allowing me to complete the other cartridge details on Wherigo.com it goes to the grounspeak an error occurred page.

I tried to open the zip and GWC file into Wherigo.com builder to try and upload it that way instead but it finds the file in my explorer but says it cant open it.

Have you any idea what the issue is and a possible solution?

many thanks

Hi Ranger Fox, Thanks for creating this awesome builder, I have created two Wherigo's using it and found it really simple to use. I have downloaded the GWC files to my phone and played them both, they work perfectly!!

The problem I'm having now is I cant upload them to Wherigo.com, using the publish to Wherigo.com button in kit it uploads from kit, asks for my password, and then after a allowing me to complete the other cartridge details on Wherigo.com it goes to the grounspeak an error occurred page.

I tried to open the zip and GWC file into Wherigo.com builder to try and upload it that way instead but it finds the file in my explorer but says it cant open it.

Have you any idea what the issue is and a possible solution?

many thanks

OK so I just manually uploaded the GWZ file to Wherigo.com and noticed in the long description there was some HTML code (<BR>'s) I deleted them and it uploaded fine

I'm going to try to release an update to the Lights Out kit later this evening. I'll be doing the update around 8PM EST (1AM GMT). If you're working on a cartridge during that time, you will lose all unsaved changes.

I have the Lights Out kit exporting stable lua script in my test environment with the few cartridges I have created. Let's see how it stands up to some of the surprises you've created for me!

One thing to know: the last zone group should contain one zone, which is your geocache. In a later update, I'll see about allowing it to remain active after the player has entered it. At the moment, the zone is immediately made inactive when a player enters it because you might have message boxes and questions to ask: it would be A Bad ThingTM for the zone to remain active because of this.

Anyway, 8PM EST tonight: don't be working on anything in Kit.

You can now create and build cartridges based off the Lights Out kit. Have at it and enjoy a brand new kit! Please tell me what you think of it.

This took a while to complete, but the real time saving was in discovering a way to make the Q&A kit's lua exporter create a Lights Out cartridge with only a few modifications.

Also, I finally implemented something that shortens a completion code to fifteen characters. I was against doing it at the start, but I have a better grasp on what direction I want Wherigo to take with completion codes.

(Rambling)

You can check the "News" section on Kit to see the work I've done on the project. A lot of it was because I had to switch between Kit, the Wherigo Foundation site, and a large amount of overtime I recently put into my full-time job. I still want to go caching in the southwestern US for two weeks towards the end of this month. If I don't soon use my paid time off from work, I'm going to end up losing more than half my vacation time at the end of the year (I've only taken three days). Anyone want to help me get to 50K by the end of the year? No? Too bad.

The new lights out kit looks amazing! :D I have looking forward to this for quite some time and hope to get out a couple new lights out wherigos for Christmas eve. I am working on a "Clue" Wherigo right now that I hope to tweak in urwigo to make it like the original game. Just wanted to say thanks again for all of the awesome work!!! Also, I love the direct link to the emulator--this makes the whole process way easier now.

For some reason I have not been able to edit the lights out kit in urwigo. Is there a way to do edit these new cartridges in urwigo?

Also just an idea for adding functionality, could there be a way to "Lock the coordinates?" I have a Wherigo that is completely in the forest so when I went to edit it one day I accidentally moved one of the pins and did not even realized it since everything in the satellite mode looks the same for that cartridge.

Thanks again for cool new Wherigo builder!

I was having trouble with the site yesterday. It kept losing the images then everything I worked on disappeared. I did a reset and most of it came back from my last save. But some of the images disappeared. I was going to put them back and then I was getting the issues again. 2am I decided to try in the morning. Now I see the site is down. My reviewer is getting impatient because there is someone else wanting the spot I have and I wanted to finish the Wherigo. Any idea when it would be back up?

Edited by jellis

I was having trouble with the site yesterday. It kept losing the images then everything I worked on disappeared. I did a reset and most of it came back from my last save. But some of the images disappeared. I was going to put them back and then I was getting the issues again. 2am I decided to try in the morning. Now I see the site is down. My reviewer is getting impatient because there is someone else wanting the spot I have and I wanted to finish the Wherigo. Any idea when it would be back up?

Thank you I see it's back up now.

I didn't do anything to bring Kit down or up, but this is getting ridiculous.

Looks like Kit's hosting company is powering their servers with gerbils. It seems gerbils are sub-par versions of hamsters when it comes to running servers. The Wherigo Foundation site is hosted at a place with hamsters.

I will spend some time on Saturday (or tonight, after I get tired of boxing and cleaning) to move Kit over to the same server that is running the Wherigo Foundation site. I'll make an announcement here soon on when you can expect the downtime. Mostly, the downtime will to prevent people from working on cartridges while I transfer the files and data.

I'm setting up all the services in Windows Azure so it can host Kit. After that, I'll have to modify Kit so it uses and serves from Azure's blob storage. Fortunately, I have code I can cannibalize on the Wherigo Foundation site.

I'm moving over an old copy (two weeks old) of Kit to test all this. When I'm happy with how everything is working, I'll make an announcement here and take Kit offline. I will take it offline in either four and a half hours from this posting (11 PM EST, GMT-5) or some time tomorrow night.