Wherigo\\kit

Afterburned

Well, that's too bad. The last update I made attempted to use a new compiler to create GWC cartridges since there were problems with the one on the Wherigo site.

I'll look into it in a little while. I have to reach a point in this other project where I can pause and shift back to Kit.

I did work fine publishing to the Wherigo site though.

Okay, I figured out what's causing the problem with the cartridge compiler: the web site doesn't have the required level of access needed to compile a cartridge. The hosting account I have runs the site in medium trust. This is not enough to use the SharpLua library to compile a cartridge. I need the site running at full trust.

So, you ask, how can I get the site to run in full trust mode? Simple: I have to upgrade my hosting plan to run it on a dedicated server. But... well... Let me put it this way: the site currently costs me about $10/month to host (excluding the cost of the multiple domains I have pointed to the server). Upgrading to a dedicated server will cost $110/month. Um... do I really want to spend an additional $1,200 a year just to let people compile their cartridges? Well, with what's coming with Project Foundation (code name), I might not have a choice in the matter. All this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The short answer is give me a lot of time. I have been looking at Windows Azure (cloud hosting), which will provide me with my own server. The MSDN account my workplace has provided me is really nice. It includes a $100/month credit to Windows Azure services, so I'm more willing to try this approach. If I can move Wherigo\\kit and Project Foundation (well, part of it) over to Azure, I can run everything with full trust and, perhaps, at reduced cost to me (because, let's face it, if it's cloud hosting, I'm going to want to have some servers in Europe and North America to decrease latency and increase performance). However, this is going to take me a lot of time to research and test; Project Foundation and staying on top of my email is taking most of my free time at the moment. For now, I'll have to switch Kit back over to using the Wherigo site to compile cartridges, if possible.

I have a potential fix for this. I set up a cartridge compile service on one of my Azure web sites. I can then connect to it from where Kit currently is and do the compile remotely. Not quite the most optimal solution, but it does work from my test environment and using a few of the cartridges I created using Kit.

Please let me know if there are any problems with this method.

I have a potential fix for this. I set up a cartridge compile service on one of my Azure web sites. I can then connect to it from where Kit currently is and do the compile remotely. Not quite the most optimal solution, but it does work from my test environment and using a few of the cartridges I created using Kit.

Please let me know if there are any problems with this method.

That seems to work. I was able to generate a gwc file that would play in the emulator. Thanks!!!!!

By the way, I'll keep a watch on the compiler site. The cloud service I'm using only serves 165MB/day. If cartridge compile requests begin to encroach on that, I'll reconfigure the compile service so I don't have to worry about the bandwidth. I think I'll have to do so anyway, but this gives me some time to consider whether it's cheaper to use one of my server instances or just up the bandwidth on the compile site--or if I even need to do so. But at least I get a fix out to everyone as quickly as possible.

Off topic:

If you like my work, please consider donating a box of Cheese Nips to me. When I work on something and miss supper, I chow down on those. Can't stand Cheez-It, though. But I should really find a healthier alternative to all that. Tell you what: just deliver to me some good ol' shepherd's pie and sarsaparilla and I'll be content. I haven't had that in a long while. I feel a running gag coming on.

To be picked up when I'm in the Mojave desert in the first part of August. I'll be out there and several other areas, loading up on caches, getting to 42K finds so I can publish my 42 mile hiking challenge multi in celebration of the achievement. Due to my work on this upcoming Wherigo project, the number of caches I've found and trips I've made has decidedly tanked compared to previous years. Therefore, it's my prerogative to take a break before things get interesting (the project) and much busier (October photo shoots).

When things calm down or I want a break, I'll return to Wherigo\\kit and add an option for you to specify the radius of your zones in feet or meters. I'll also add a new publish option so you can publish your cartridge to this new project.

Finally!! I have been able to compile and download my latest cartridge that I started several months ago. I still was not able to get anywhere with the cartridge I built then but after I copied/saved/compiled and downloaded it one stage at a time it seems to be behaving itself. I have no idea why the previous version will not download as I copied it word for word into a new version of the cartridge. I just have to test it out in the real world which I hope to do soon...then will activate it.

:D :D :D

I will update Wherigo\\kit at 9:30 PM EST (GMT-6, in other words, in one hour) tonight. Please make sure to save your changes by then.

At this moment, the update will add the Finnish language to most of the site and an item that stores the unlock code. I don't know if I'll be able to get around to allowing people to define their zones' sizes. That's next on my list, but time is short.

I have updated Wherigo\\kit. Here's a summary of the changes:

1. The site is now translated into Finnish. Thank you, Arnyk!
  2. Cartridges are now marked as complete for Garmin saves to work.
  3. I added a completion code item to the player's inventory when the cartridge is marked as complete.
  4. You can now control the proximity range to a zone. The original request was to control the zone's size, but that's not as important as proximity. This is in meters, by the way, just to mess with the Americans. (Actually, there's another reason, aside from both Kit and Project Foundation being on the metric system, which was my choice.)

I have updated Wherigo\\kit. Here's a summary of the changes:

1. The site is now translated into Finnish. Thank you, Arnyk!
  2. Cartridges are now marked as complete for Garmin saves to work.
  3. I added a completion code item to the player's inventory when the cartridge is marked as complete.
  4. You can now control the proximity range to a zone. The original request was to control the zone's size, but that's not as important as proximity. This is in meters, by the way, just to mess with the Americans. (Actually, there's another reason, aside from both Kit and Project Foundation being on the metric system, which was my choice.)

Thank you for variable proximity size addition, this is a great and really appreciated! Can't wait to see what project foundation is all about. In the meantime Wherigo\\Kit is perfect for what I am building.

I just wanted to say thanks for all your (Ranger Fox) work on Wherigo and The Wherigo Foundation. Just got done reading the Foundation thread and I was quite impressed with what I read on the work so far. But please keep up the work on Wherigo\\kit of all the want to be builders out there, it is by far the only builder us normal people can use. After all I think the more people writing cartage's the better for all. If the original builders were more point and click we would have much more wherigos to choose from now. OK I'm done with my rant just wanted to says Thanks :D

I was approached by someone at the mega event I attended yesterday. He wanted me to add items to Kit.

Adding items makes things complicated to keep the interface simple. Just about the only way I can do it at the moment is to have a new command you can insert, much like messages and inputs. Once you insert the command, all other messages and inputs will pause until the player does what you want with the item in question. However, for simplicity, I'd only have a pick up / use command.

Thus, the following for picking up an item:

1) Message

2) Input

3) Item: Pick up

4) Message

This would show message #1, then ask a question. When the player gets it right, the main screen will display (or the item screen if you're on a halfway decent player) with the item shown. The player clicks on the item and sees the "Pick Up" command. Clicking on this will show the player message #4, then the next zone will activate.

Using an item would be similar:

1) Message

2) Input

3) Item: Use

4) Message

This would show message #1, then ask a question. When the player gets it right, the inventory screen will display (same mention about competent Wherigo Player applications). While the user might have several items in his or her inventory at this point, only one of them (the one you specify in #3) will have the "Use" command enabled for it. When the user selects this, message #4 will display, then the next zone will activate.

This is what I came up with after talking to him. To be honest, he had some other plan or idea in mind regarding items. However, this will at least let you do something small with an item. There's a lot more you can do with items in general, but as Team Iowian put it, I still want Kit to be easy to use for "normal people" (meaning, by that definition, I'm one of the least normal people on this forum--people not normal have all the fun, though). I'll think about this, let it stew in my mind for a while, and implement something. The trick is to implement it without needing 20+ hours of time that should be spent working on the Wherigo Foundation site. I think I will have time enough to implement this next year, once I can relax work on the site.

The most important thing, by the way, when asking for new features for Kit, is to help me visualize how to adjust the user interface so Kit's difficulty level does not increase. It's supposed to be an entry-level builder; when you need something more than what Kit can provide, you begin looking for a more comprehensive builder. Of course, that's not to say that that I don't use it from time to time to crank out a cartridge much faster than I could have otherwise.

Have a possible bug with an open ended question. My newest one has an answer with a decimal in it but when I went to beta test it, it wouldn't accept the answer and I know I had the right one. I'm guessing I'll need to remove the decimal for this to function properly?

First, I'd like to say this: Wow, that's a lot of zones! Okay. I regained my composure. Considering the number of zones, I had to click around for a while until I found which zone you were talking about.

Zone 6: You have a space before the "N" letter. You'll need to remove that. (I should probably be trimming white space on all answers.)

Zone 7: I'm glad I won't be entering text on a Garmin GPSr as turning the Colorado's wheel to get to a comma would take a while. This is where on-screen keyboards are more advantageous.

Zone 27: You might want to be careful. Saying "______ and ______" as the hint might mean people will just type in the two words while "and" is also required in the answer.

In the end, I went through all 34 zones and did not notice a decimal point in any of them. I think you may have removed it. At least I think "Public Art 3" is the cartridge to which you're referring. If the sixth zone was where you had problems, the solution would probably have been to remove the leading space before the first letter.

Have a possible bug with an open ended question. My newest one has an answer with a decimal in it but when I went to beta test it, it wouldn't accept the answer and I know I had the right one. I'm guessing I'll need to remove the decimal for this to function properly?

First, I'd like to say this: Wow, that's a lot of zones! Okay. I regained my composure. Considering the number of zones, I had to click around for a while until I found which zone you were talking about.

Zone 6: You have a space before the "N" letter. You'll need to remove that. (I should probably be trimming white space on all answers.)

Zone 7: I'm glad I won't be entering text on a Garmin GPSr as turning the Colorado's wheel to get to a comma would take a while. This is where on-screen keyboards are more advantageous.

Zone 27: You might want to be careful. Saying "______ and ______" as the hint might mean people will just type in the two words while "and" is also required in the answer.

In the end, I went through all 34 zones and did not notice a decimal point in any of them. I think you may have removed it. At least I think "Public Art 3" is the cartridge to which you're referring. If the sixth zone was where you had problems, the solution would probably have been to remove the leading space before the first letter.

Thanks so much. There's a lot of art in that extremely LARGE cemetery! LOL. I did remove it but didn't notice the space before the N. Good point on #7. Working on 27 as well.

Worked great with no issues. Question - both my final zone and BCross95's final zone only appear as a dot on the map. I got the generic unlock code for mine (setting my radius at 5m) but had to be right on top of it. I'm guessing that I would have to have been right on top of his final one also to generate the unlocking code. A) is this normal for the last zone to be a terminal dot? B) should we expand the size of the radius to ensure that the unlock code is triggered?

For final zones, Kit tries to use a smaller default zone size than anything else. I'm making the assumption you're leading the people to a cache, so the final zone size is reduced for accuracy's sake. When you're navigating to a zone, you're not navigating to a point, such as the center. Instead, the distance you see is to the closest edge of that zone. Thus, if you center a fifty feet diameter zone on a cache, the Wherigo Player might tell the user s/he has reached the final when the actual cache is twenty-five feet away.

I had a play with \\kit for the first time today, and I think it is excellent!

Background: I've published 2 Wherigos with the Groundspeak builder. I would not call myself an expert by any means, and I've not done "raw" lua coding. But after a learning curve I'm fairly comfortable with the builder.

Today a friend contacted me who is thinking of creating his first Wherigo, and asking if I could help him. What he wants to do is a simple "tour" of several locations, possibly asking a question at each stage.

I thought yes I am happy to help him. Then I remembered seeing something about this \\kit... and wondered if that would be easier.

So I looked at \\kit. And yes, it is MUCH easier! It includes the basic things most wherigos require; e.g. when you "complete" a stage (answer the question correctly; or just arrive there if no question) then the next zone is activated and displayed. The "question" feature is much easier to use than defining "input" in the builder. And automatically including the completion code in the final stage is great.

For my friend, I'm pretty sure \\kit is all he will need. For me, when I do my next Wherigo, I think I'll start with \\kit... then probably move to the builder for more "advanced" things (like interacting with characters and items).

Thanks for this, Ranger Fox!

Some guidance please,

Working on a triplet of Wherigo caches using \\kit. Then tweaking in Urwigo. 2 of them have worked fine and are completed. My most recent(& smallest) is giving me trouble compiling a *.gwc file. I can download a *.zip file, but it will not open/import into any other builder (Urwigo or GS Builder). Trying to avoid doing cartridge again from scratch. Upon compiling, I receive the error below. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.... Or what I've overlooked...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error<br><br>An internal error occurred when using the new cartridge compiler to compile the cartridge. Please report the following:<br><br><br>Line 420, Column 162: primary expression expected, got ']'

at Wherigo.Compiler.Compiler.Compile(String filename, DeviceType device, String username, String completionCode) in C:\webshare\Wherigo\Wherigo\Compiler\Compiler.cs:line 212

at Compile_Service.Services.Compile(Byte[] gwz, String username, String completioncode, String& error) in C:\Users\OWNER\Desktop\Wherigo Kit\Compile Service\Compile Service\Services.svc.cs:line 26<br><br> at RangerFox.Wherigo.Kit.UI.Carts.Download.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in C:\Users\OWNER\Desktop\Wherigo Kit\WherigoKit\WherigoKit\Cartridges\Download.ashx.cs:line 116

Thread was being aborted.

at System.Threading.Thread.AbortInternal()

at System.Threading.Thread.Abort(Object stateInfo)

at System.Web.HttpResponse.AbortCurrentThread()

at System.Web.HttpResponse.End()

at RangerFox.Wherigo.Kit.UI.Carts.Download.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in C:\Users\OWNER\Desktop\Wherigo Kit\WherigoKit\WherigoKit\Cartridges\Download.ashx.cs:line 122

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much for Wherigo\\kit. Its easy learning curve has allowed me to get started on cartridges while I work out the advanced details over time. But I'm stumped here. I've attached the .zip file for reference, if helpful. Hope to learn something here. Thanks in advance for any reponse.

SonicSculptor

Lincoln_Highway_WV.zip

Edited by SonicSculptor

I'll have to look at it on late Saturday afternoon. The compiler should be able to take everything Kit throws at it as it's not that complex.

Looks like I'll have some excuses to visit West Virginia again? Certainly not this month, though: my weekend schedule is slammed with late night photo shoots.

The semi-technical stuff: I couldn't get any cartridge to compile, so I updated the code I had for the Wherigo Foundation's compiler. Oddly enough, the cartridge would compile when the service was living on my local machine, but not online. This is a different issue than what caused me to move the compiler from Kit to where I'm developing the Wherigo Foundation site. I tried other workarounds, but failed. So, finally, I just added another method to the Wherigo Foundation API to allow me to compile the cartridge from Kit. I then had to implement the new Wherigo API within Kit, at least enough to get the bindings and connection information right.

The non-technical version: Kit is now using a special part (in the background) of the new Wherigo site I'm working on. I'm surprised to see your cartridge takes a full minute to generate the GWC, but at least it's not throwing an error now. For now, I'll leave it as-is. Later, I'll need to move Kit's site to the server I'm using for my Wherigo Foundation work; doing so will fix the problem permanently. I just don't have the time to do it now.

So, anyway, try to compile your cartridge now and tell me if it errors.

To anyone else who was working on a cartridge when I updated the site (and logged them off, losing all unsaved changes): I apologize.

The semi-technical stuff: I couldn't get any cartridge to compile, so I updated the code I had for the Wherigo Foundation's compiler. Oddly enough, the cartridge would compile when the service was living on my local machine, but not online. This is a different issue than what caused me to move the compiler from Kit to where I'm developing the Wherigo Foundation site. I tried other workarounds, but failed. So, finally, I just added another method to the Wherigo Foundation API to allow me to compile the cartridge from Kit. I then had to implement the new Wherigo API within Kit, at least enough to get the bindings and connection information right.

The non-technical version: Kit is now using a special part (in the background) of the new Wherigo site I'm working on. I'm surprised to see your cartridge takes a full minute to generate the GWC, but at least it's not throwing an error now. For now, I'll leave it as-is. Later, I'll need to move Kit's site to the server I'm using for my Wherigo Foundation work; doing so will fix the problem permanently. I just don't have the time to do it now.

So, anyway, try to compile your cartridge now and tell me if it errors.

To anyone else who was working on a cartridge when I updated the site (and logged them off, losing all unsaved changes): I apologize.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed on this end for me. Sorry to be a pain. I see ALOT of work goes into your end! Would it do me any good to just start over on the cartridge in \\kit? I could knock it out in just an hour or so. My other two recent Wherigo carts still compile just fine. Any chance you could send me a .zip pack of my Lincoln Highway WV cart to open in Urwigo? Just trying to move on without eating up too much of your time. Thanks so much for your hard efforts. I'll patiently wait, sincerely. Copy of error posted below:

Error

An internal error occurred when using the new cartridge compiler to compile the cartridge. Please report the following:

Cartridge:Lincoln Highway WV

Line 420, Column 162: primary expression expected, got ']'

at WF.Compiler.Compiler.Compile(String filename, DeviceType device, String username, Int64 userid, String completionCode) in C:\webshare\Wherigo\Wherigo\Compiler\Compiler.cs:line 65

at Wherigo.Data.Compiler.CompileService(String filePath, String username, String completioncode) in C:\webshare\Wherigo\Wherigo\Wherigo.Data\Compiler.cs:line 79

at Wherigo.UI.API.APIv1.Compile(Byte[] gwz, String username, String completioncode, String& error) in C:\webshare\Wherigo\Wherigo\Wherigo\API\APIv1.svc.cs:line 153

at RangerFox.Wherigo.Kit.UI.Carts.Download.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in C:\Users\OWNER\Desktop\Wherigo Kit\WherigoKit\WherigoKit\Cartridges\Download.ashx.cs:line 118

Thread was being aborted.

at System.Threading.Thread.AbortInternal()

at System.Threading.Thread.Abort(Object stateInfo)

at System.Web.HttpResponse.AbortCurrentThread()

at System.Web.HttpResponse.End()

at RangerFox.Wherigo.Kit.UI.Carts.Download.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in C:\Users\OWNER\Desktop\Wherigo Kit\WherigoKit\WherigoKit\Cartridges\Download.ashx.cs:line 126

Why do you need me to send you the zip file? Can't you just download it from Kit?

I was testing "LHP -This Place IS a Zoo!" when I ran across an error. Since I saw an error, I assumed you were referring to that cartridge in your post. I see that wasn't the one.

The error could very well just be something you typed in one of the input boxes. I'll chase it down on Sunday evening. At the moment, I just got back from shooting a haunted attraction and have 191 photos to look through. I think I'll end up publishing 30.

Why do you need me to send you the zip file? Can't you just download it from Kit?

I was testing "LHP -This Place IS a Zoo!" when I ran across an error. Since I saw an error, I assumed you were referring to that cartridge in your post. I see that wasn't the one.

The error could very well just be something you typed in one of the input boxes. I'll chase it down on Sunday evening. At the moment, I just got back from shooting a haunted attraction and have 191 photos to look through. I think I'll end up publishing 30.

Got it! All good now. Your last post & me attempting to translate error, gave me a hint and I poured over all my 'entry box' text in \\kit. I found a '[' bracket, where there should've been '(' -parentheses. Problem solved. Compiles fine & I can open in Urwigo. Thanks for your time. Sorry to waste it on a typo!

That just means I'm going to make sure all square braces are either commented out properly or converted to parenthesis. But that's good that it was as I suspected.

I think, because of that, I just might go on a nice hike today. Enjoy the autumn colors. This time, I'll find something instead of place something. You know, in July, when I needed a break from doing some work on the Wherigo site, I did three hikes and ended up placing a 43 mile multi.

I updated Kit again.

-- Users are prevented from using square braces for things, thus avoiding a reported issue.

-- I'm now using a hacked method in the Wherigo Foundation API to do the cartridge compiling. Thus, I only have to update the compiler in one place and I can get rid of a server.

-- Certain users can now see a link that lets them publish cartridges to the Wherigo Foundation site. Those who know Firebug will also be entertained. Anyway, let me know what you think of the feature. When you publish to the Wherigo Foundation for the first time, you will see a log-in screen as if you're logging into Kit again. That's because I'm using Kit's geocaching API key. This is what's happening: Kit doesn't have a Wherigo Foundation API token for you, so it kicks you to the WF API's authentication page, which in turn passes you to the geocaching log-in page, which will then pass your token to the WF API, which will record it and issue its own token for Kit's use, which will kick you right back to Kit and the publish will begin immediately after that. Subsequent publishes of any cartridge will use the token Kit got from the WF API, so that won't be necessary a second time. Fascinating chain, isn't it? And you can't even see that the WF API is sandwiched somewhere within there. After the first publish, your cartridge will receive a WG Code from the WF API; to see your cartridge listing, click the WG Code link.

Have fun!

Getting the following error message when I try to compile the GWC with Kit. I have tried all my cartridges and get the same result.

Error

Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: bytes

at System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(String path, Byte[] bytes)

at RangerFox.Wherigo.Kit.UI.Carts.Download.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

Hi. Firstly, a huge thanks for Wherigo\\kit! I've been playing with it for a while now and we are about ready to put our our first cartridge as our 200th hide. The slow part is getting out there taking photos and re-checking coordinates. Thanks to \\kit the programming part is easy.

A question on questions: We finished the cartridge at the weekend and took it out to test it. On the whole it worked very well and we were able to complete the quest. The main problem was that at each of the stages that required the player to answer a question, the multiple choice answers were offered and if a wrong answer was chosen it reverted back to the question (giving the player unlimited guesses at the answer). The idea was to send the player back to the start upon entering a wrong answer (as per most Wherigos we have played). I cannot see a way to do this in the \\kit. There is an option for "stop emulator" but I'm not sure what this does. Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note I have read through this entire thread (very interesting) and found how to get the cartridge to load in the GS builder. It was the 64bit issue. But the builder is new to me and the help file lean.

Thanks for all the hard work. Hope you are having fun photographing the ghosts. :)

Team Geoscouts

Stop Emulator

This prevents people from playing the cartridge past this point in the emulator. It's my personal preference to give people a preview of a cartridge in the emulator before slamming the door shut. I believe for both Wherigo and geocaching, you are selling your cartridge/cache to others. They pay you with their free time and the cost to get there (be it just petrol and vehicle mileage or an airplane flight, rental car, petrol, and their holiday's precious time). Compared to the other alternatives, Wherigo can be a significant investment of time to play. So I like the idea of allowing people to preview some parts of the cartridge within an emulator before committing to go out and complete it. This preview should convince them your cartridge is worth playing in the field. As an author, you can choose when people have had enough of a look into what your cartridge has to offer. If you want more people to play your cartridge, make it more entertaining or inventive; this will get people talking about your cartridge and others will be drawn to it.

Wrong Answer

Within Kit, there's a text box you can use to give a player a message when s/he answers incorrectly. The player will then be asked the question again and again until he or she gets it right. I've been asked once before if there's anything else that can be done if a player gets an incorrect answer. I suppose you could send the player to another zone, but this would mean the player would just have to answer questions s/he has already seen. And I've seen answers to questions that make me wonder if people would get it right on the first try. The best example is a date. What if a plaque with the date has the month written out and the author abbreviates the month to make it fit in Kit's answer box? (There's a reason I limit the number of characters in that box: long answers are a pain to type in on the Garmin Wherigo Player, which people would still prefer compatibility.)

Anyway, I'll think about adding this as part of the functionality. It will be part of a feature that counts the number of correct answers. You can allow a player to pass to the next zone, go to another zone, or try answering the question again. At any point in the cartridge, you can test for the number of questions answered correctly. When you test for the number of correct answers, I'm not sure what authors would want to do if the player hasn't answered enough.

I do try to balance Kit bug fixes with Wherigo Foundation site work. Since Groundspeak has decided to continue putting their decision on hold as to whether they'll allow me to run the site (the alternative isn't pretty), I might switch over to doing a little more work on Kit than the WF site. We'll see. This would be a more significant change to Kit and would require quite a bit of testing before I'm comfortable with releasing it.

Hi

Thanks for the super-quick answer.

I'm not sure I see your point though. If a player has a multiple choice question with just three possible responses (that is the maximum as far as I can see) then they can easily guess the correct answer (three guesses max) to the question rendering it pointless (in my opinion). What is the point in taking them to a question stage if they don't have to *find* the answer? In Wherigo cartridges we have played, when you get the question wrong you go back to the start point and have another go (or not). This works well in such as a town square for example, where it is no hardship to go back. Anyway, just my input.

You are doing a mighty fine job in developing this and your other project. I wish you all the best of luck with Groundspeak. I hope an amicable outcome can be reached.

Best wishes

Edited to emphasize: It's just the multiple choice question that holds the problem. I can see that an open ended question will work fine as per your explanation.

Edited by Geoscouts.eu

Remember choose your own adventure books? What if Kit could behave like one of them. Your choices set the path you follow. This would allow the developer a way to set up multiple paths based off of the user selected choices. If Kit could pin this type of cartridge down I could imagine some really good cartridges being developed. I will gladly be your personal guinea pig and help test out creating and playing and new Kits.

Hmm. Well, I do have to figure out what to do with myself over Christmas. If Groundspeak is still doing their ho-hum thing, that might kill my motivation to work on the Wherigo Foundation site and kick me over to adding something to Kit. I can almost see the UI for the choose your adventure cartridge. However, you wouldn't have a red line connecting zones. And for each question and answer dialog, you'd have options that told Kit what to do after certain answers. If I can visualize it, I can create it.

Recently, though, I tried working on the Wherigo Foundation site and doing photography work over the weekend. That didn't work out so well and I hurt my wrist from it, so I decided to take it easy this week before I did something irreversible. Considering I have to wait on Groundspeak anyway, I'll use them as an excuse for any time I slack off!

The pull of the real world--of Amber--is far stronger than any shadow. Sauron's magic, by definition, is an imperfect imitation of Pattern or Logrus magic.

Your cartridges are but shadows cast from the Pattern of Wherigo, to which people can Trump. If the Wherigo Foundation gets control of the Jewel of Judgement long enough, we can scribe our own Pattern, from which new cartridges can derive.

(Those are the books I love. It's too bad they never made a movie of them. But, then again, it's difficult to convert a first person introspective into third person.)

Most of Kit was created during Christmas of 2011. I had hoped to launch the Wherigo Foundation site and player as this year's Christmas present to the community. It looks like it will be a belated gift.

The pull of the real world--of Amber--is far stronger than any shadow. Sauron's magic, by definition, is an imperfect imitation of Pattern or Logrus magic.

Your cartridges are but shadows cast from the Pattern of Wherigo, to which people can Trump. If the Wherigo Foundation gets control of the Jewel of Judgement long enough, we can scribe our own Pattern, from which new cartridges can derive.

(Those are the books I love. It's too bad they never made a movie of them. But, then again, it's difficult to convert a first person introspective into third person.)

Most of Kit was created during Christmas of 2011. I had hoped to launch the Wherigo Foundation site and player as this year's Christmas present to the community. It looks like it will be a belated gift.

Ahhh but a new Kit template or two would be a good second. And in return we the little ones will shower our areas with more WIGO's bringing much needed attention to the foundation cause.

I just recently learned about the stop emulator feature and went right in to my carts and added the feature partially through each of them.

I just had another idea, what about adding an automatic save progress option as well. I had a user make it part way through one of my longer carts and his phone crashed. The user ended up abandoning the current attempt because of time constraints. I know a user can save themselves and I will be encouraging that practice, but would just be better if the WIGO creator could do it at there discretion.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort

Curious to know the answer, if RF or anyone knows it. My newest one (the 34 stage one!) appears to work fine, with one exception that occurs a few times for certain users. The seekers that go after this one using the iPhone app have a small glitch that pops up occasionally. Instead of triggering the actions in a few of the zones (it says they're inside and it happens in different zones), they have to wander away and then come back to the zone again to trigger the information and question.

Someone recommended that I try this kit for my first Wherigo and I did. All of the zones are correct however there is no flow to the cartridge. Let me explain that a little better. With most carts that I have ran before you get to a zone and it will pop up ask you to do whatever the task is then once completed you click ok. Then it automatically takes you to the next zone. With my cart this doesn't happen. Once you complete the zone and click ok it brings back up the main menu and then you have to click locations, at this point it will direct you to the next zone. I should probably note that this is being ran on a smartphone, Iphone 4s still running iOS 6 BTW. Any idea how to correct this and make it flow together better?? Thanks!

Someone recommended that I try this kit for my first Wherigo ... it brings back up the main menu and then you have to click locations, at this point it will direct you to the next zone. ...

The Fox will know the details but in the meantime I offer this explanation: there is an easy fix that will open the desired sub menu directly (like you have seen on your own smartphone). The downside is that this sub menu command is not supported by Garmin devices. The workaround is to be a little creative in your text. Write something like "Your next target is the treasure chest. Have a look at the locations menu. It will help you to find it".

Ok so what is the easy fix? I can rewrite the text for Garmin users without a problem.

Disclaimer: I don't know exactly how kit handles this issue. I am answering based on my Wherigo experience.

The fix would require Ranger Fox to change the kit. The fix would make all kit cartridges unusable on Garmin devices. You can not fix this yourself. You can however use the described workaround in your current cartridge. :)