Logging Caches

trigsim

How do I log a cache without leaving a comment, the caches's I've just started with are really easy and don't need comments.

You are wrong there. ALL caches need comments. They let the owners know that the cache is still there, still ok. Or let the owners know the log is full. even a DNF log saying "I couldn't find it" or a found it log saying "TFTC" will alert the owner to any potential issues. There is a difference between a TFTC-usually used for a guardrail cache or something of no creativity nothing special about it and leaving a 500 word story for a puzzle cache that was hard to solve and hard to find but really worth it. If the cache really is so unremarkable that you cant log a single letter then why bother logging it?

I just looked at your logs. all of them. Honestly if you had logged like that on one of my caches it would be deleted. I understand those caches may not have been special in any way but saying "no comment" is like saying I know you took time and money to place a cache so I could find it but whatever. It's not their job to place caches so show a little bit of manners and respect and at least log something.

How do I log a cache without leaving a comment, the caches's I've just started with are really easy and don't need comments.

Welcome to Geocaching trigsim!

Every cache NEEDS a comment!

First - Thank the cache owner for taking the time, money and effort to place a cache for you to find.

Second - Let the cache owner about the state of the cache - was it still well hidden, dry, cracked, damp, full of swag etc?

Third - Did you trade any swag? Take or leave any Travelbugs or Geocoins? Did you discover any coins that you didn't take?

Fourth - Did you enjoy the drive, hike? Did you see any wildlife, flowers, sunsets? How was the weather?

As you can see it doesn't take much to write a few sentences about each cache, our average log is over 100 words per log!

As a cache owner, logs let me know that my cache is OK or needs some attention. The logs that we get inspire us to continue to place creative caches in scenic places. If all we got was "TFTC" or no comment, we probably would have only hidden one or two.

As a cacher, I read the logs to decide which caches to find today, "TFTC" or no comment tells me to not make the effort to look for that one.

You might enjoy reading the logs of a local newbie cacher like yourself, jbeck2.

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

mwellman from Alberta, Canada

First off I'm going to assume that your "no Comment" logs were posted because you didn't know any better and not being rude.

Next I can't believe you had nothing at all to say? Not even a This was my first find and I am hooked, bored, can't wait to find another, not my thing etc. log? :blink:

As a Cache owner I really appreciate when I get a nice log. It tells me that my cache has been found or maybe missing, that it is in good shape or needs help, that it has been moved or is right where it belongs. Cache owners depend on the finders to tell us whats going on and cach finders depend on cach hiders to have something to find so lets be nice to each other and keep our great sport, hobby or whatever you call it going strong for many more years.

How about "Thanks for putting out these easy caches for a beginner to find"?

If you don't want to say Thanks, you could just say Found it.

Or if you don't want to comment on the cache, you could comment on the weather--it was hot or cold or nice or not.

What if everybody just said No comment? Do you think the COs would be encouraged to keep putting out new caches? You may not have meant to be rude, but it sure comes across that way.