magellan sport trak pro question

OK we are newbies to this geocache thing and not quite figured out this GPS. When I input a coordinate it wants to give me "as the bird flies" directions. So we spend a lot of time trying to find the proper road to just get in the general area. In the boonies with many oilfield roads this can be difficult. Does this GPS give directions by road or will it always be "as the bird flies"?

I don't think that unit has road navigating capabilities.

It's a 2002 model... discontinued and I had to search fairly hard at the Magellan website to find anything about it.

They offer one download, and that is more than likely a manual (I did not go into it).

Methinks you are gonna have to learn to fly like a crow. :rolleyes::mad:

LOL thanks. It was only 8 bucks at a garage sale and we have had some fun and a few off road adventures trying to go "as the crow flies". Glad to be part of the geocache gang.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/magellansportrakmap.php

Also information from the archived site for Magellan from 2003

http://web.archive.org/web/20030416184231/http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/sportrak.asp

I remember the Sportraks but for some reason they never sold that well compared to the Meridian series. I think the logic was just to spend a tiny bit more and get the Meridian. The Sportrak's were Magellan's answer to the Etrex Yellow/Legend/Vista series. I also believe the Sportrak's "floated" in water.

OK we are newbies to this geocache thing and not quite figured out this GPS. When I input a coordinate it wants to give me "as the bird flies" directions. So we spend a lot of time trying to find the proper road to just get in the general area. In the boonies with many oilfield roads this can be difficult. Does this GPS give directions by road or will it always be "as the bird flies"?

Magellan Sport Trak Pro did not have Street Mapping, so "as the bird flies" is all you get. You could load only up to 6 MB of local street maps for display purposes only. You needed to get the Magellan series and the higher end mapping progam for that one. Both GPS and mapping programs are no longer produced. Our 2nd Sport Trak just quit and Mr. MaxB isn't happy. He doesn't like change. We had purchased a Garmin NUVI, that allows us to upload cache coordinates as POI's and hand enter coords if necessary. We used this for turn by turn street directions, then used our Sport Trak for finding the cache.

I still use my SporTrak Map. It wont do turn-by-turn, but meh, who needs it, I'm a geocacher not a soccer mom looking for a starbucks. Pretty bulletproof little unit. The battery compartment area has some cracks and missing bits, so it's on it's last leg. Hopefully I can find a good replacement. I like the black and white LCD screen. most modern ones have hard-to-read color screens. I can read mine in some pretty harsh light...and it has that Timex Blue Glow background, too...

Well we went out this weekend and got on a few dead end back roads and opted out of the oilfield roads this time but all in all I can't complain about its accuracy. It is usually accurate within a couple of feet(unless the cache isn't exactly on GZ. 10 out of 14 today so really can't complain for 8 bucks.

Is the Mapsend Direct Route cd still available or is it going to be one of those "good luck and you'll pay a fortune" kind of things?

Well we went out this weekend and got on a few dead end back roads and opted out of the oilfield roads this time but all in all I can't complain about its accuracy. It is usually accurate within a couple of feet(unless the cache isn't exactly on GZ. 10 out of 14 today so really can't complain for 8 bucks.

Is the Mapsend Direct Route cd still available or is it going to be one of those "good luck and you'll pay a fortune" kind of things?

I never liked the Direct Route Software......there were issues that affected accuracy when you walked to a cache.

The Mapsend Streets and Destinations works fine......you can usually get it on Ebay for around $20......I've made maps of each U.S. state and use them on my Meridians as well.