A numbers game

Kyle891

Hi all.

I live in New Zealand and over the 3 years I've been actively caching something has come to my attention and I'm curious to know whether it's a world wide issue or if it's localized to these shores.

The biggest, "Problem"(IMO)is the fact the, "Game"(Geocaching) has become very much a numbers game where he who holds the biggest numbers rules.

To me geocaching is more about the adventure of going to get a new cache, the places it takes me, the things I have to do, sometimes the people I meet and even the photos I can never replace. It's the stories of epic adventure that make my day. It seems some have either been doing it for so long they have lost their passion for the game and it's become all about finding the most or hiding the most caches.

I have no issue with the race to be in front by numbers but what bothers me is when the numbers become more important than the experience. Where you would once have placed a cammoed bucket full of SWAG and a giant log book for people to share their stories, you now place a little mint container with nothing more than a few scrap pieces of paper stuck together as a log book. And just to say you hid one more cache than the last person.

Is it like this all over the world?

The sad part is if there is someone trying to put together a story cache, a puzzle or something fun and enjoyable in an area then that space has only a matter of days or weeks before the area gets bombarded with silly little tins. I know an area can be held by publishers for this purpose but it's not enough in my opinion.

Surely there could be a way to regulate just how many caches a single person can place? How many caches can one single person actively maintain?

The last problem I have, before I bore you all to death... We like to think we all practise Cash In Trash Out (CITO) but when I hear of people having over 300 caches to look after, I have to wonder just how many caches are given up as lost or taken without a single look from the owner being had. I know for a fact one person in particular archives their cache if it receives more than 3 "Did not find". How many caches have been given up and are still lying there... a plastic or metal container left for the elements to decompose aka litter.

I think there are ways of improving the game to make it a far more enjoyable experience for all. What do you think?

I agree with most and it's not limited to your neck of the woods.

We even have a few micros out, as that's what was approved by the landowners.

Some claim an easy C&D, but they weren't put out that way.

We've noticed a surge in cache and dash hides when smartphones became commonplace. No longer having to plan your day on the computer, hides pop up wherever you go. Old enough to remember Pokemon? - "Gotta catch 'em all".

I now have to travel an average of seventy miles for what I'd call a bit of a hike (5+ miles) while caching and further for anything 10 and up.

I don't believe that it's only the longer playing members who've gone count-crazy though. Newer folks out only a few years have gone by us by thousands on cache counts and easily twice us on hides. Guess it's simply how they want to play this game.

- but means nada if you ever get a chance to see how some got those numbers.

I'm up to 14 grabbed archived hides that weren't cross-listed on another site.

Three were ammo cans. You'd think their cost alone would warrant a trip to retrieve. We recycled them into new hides.

Number crucnhers come and go IMO - but those that do it for the real enjoyment - the views, the stories, the swag, the hikes, the puzzles etc. - they are the ones who will be around for many years still.How many of those simple mint containers have stuck around for many years, garners favourite points and become the discussion topic at events or on "must do" watch lists?

So to be quantity may be an issue for some - but the cream always rises and gives the character and flavour.

To answer the question : it is a worldwide fact, as soon as the game gains some popularity in an area.

But the game is open to anyone.

To those who look after quality caches, nice trips and unbelievable landscapes, and to those who run about the numbers.

Both groups make their day the way they play the game, there should not be any issue about that.

Now the real question is : how you (and me) find your way through that impressive quantity of caches? How to find quality ones?

By filtering on cache size and area, then by looking at fave points and at online logs. A useful preparation step to keep a great experience afterwards in the field.

I do agree your remark on CITO and on abandonned containers. CO are responsible for their cache, their maintenance, and they retrieval if they archive it.

The biggest, "Problem"(IMO)is the fact the, "Game"(Geocaching) has become very much a numbers game where he who holds the biggest numbers rules.

To me geocaching is more about the adventure of going to get a new cache, the places it takes me, the things I have to do, sometimes the people I meet and even the photos I can never replace. It's the stories of epic adventure that make my day. It seems some have either been doing it for so long they have lost their passion for the game and it's become all about finding the most or hiding the most caches.

I have no issue with the race to be in front by numbers but what bothers me is when the numbers become more important than the experience. Where you would once have placed a cammoed bucket full of SWAG and a giant log book for people to share their stories, you now place a little mint container with nothing more than a few scrap pieces of paper stuck together as a log book. And just to say you hid one more cache than the last person.

I dont know how many threads and posts I have read that assume that those with high numbers do not enjoy all the same things as other cachers. I know many cachers with high numbers and I cannnot recall any of them bragging about their numbers. They go out hiking , biking, socilizingg and end up with lots of finds. They enjoy entertaining others so they place cache series to get them out on bike paths, or into the wilderness or into parks, etc.

Maybe you would consider our numbers high but i think we get as much fun out of this as anyone.

Here is a small portion of a controversial item I posted here some time ago.

Caching is not simply about going out and finding caches. Caching can take over your life. Here are some of the positive aspects of caching which keep us busy, active and mentally fit.:

*Making new friends

*Events

*Travel

*Spending the day caching with friends

*Meeting cachers in far away places (UK, USA, Other provinces)

*Caching adventures

*Hiking & Biking

*Discovering back roads and new places

*Entertaining the grandsons

*Solving puzzles

*Learning and using new software and hardware.

*Reading interesting logs

*Corresponding with cachers about puzzles, etc

*Moving TB’s and coins

*Reading forums and other caching sites

*Writing in forums

*Learning and sharing techniques for hides, camo etc.

*Enjoying & Marvelling at some of the wonderful intrigung caches.

*ETC ETC.

All the above are positive aspects. You will note that I did not mention numbers. When many cachers refer to numbers it is often used as a negative part of geocaching. When you hear IT’S ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS, it is generally a knock against some practice that the person does not like.

I have to say that we all cache in our own way. I have no problem with individuals who cache differently than us and claim differently than us. I also do not think that caches that were mishandled were necessarily as a result of the number game.

I dont know how many threads and posts I have read that assume that those with high numbers do not enjoy all the same things as other cachers. I know many cachers with high numbers and I cannnot recall any of them bragging about their numbers. They go out hiking , biking, socilizingg and end up with lots of finds. They enjoy entertaining others so they place cache series to get them out on bike paths, or into the wilderness or into parks, etc.

Maybe you would consider our numbers high but i think we get as much fun out of this as anyone.

I have to say that we all cache in our own way. I have no problem with individuals who cache differently than us and claim differently than us. I also do not think that caches that were mishandled were necessarily as a result of the number game.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone with high numbers have lost their passion in aching and only do it for the numbers etc. I have a number of caching friends who have found loads and who have placed loads of caches. What I'm saying the issue for me is when the quality of placement and cache are overlooked just to gain another digit.

Sure everyone plays and enjoys the game differently and in different ways, I have no issues with that. I'm more surprised that there are virtually no standards for caches being placed. basically as long as it has some form of log and it's in a location then it counts... Maybe I'm just being picky but I'd sure like to see a better standard of quality drawn up.

What I'm saying the issue for me is when the quality of placement and cache are overlooked just to gain another digit.

Yes, what your describing agrees with what I see in my area. I'd say there are a few things going on.

First of all, the measure of quality is changing. Bigger is no longer always better. Well stocked is a sign of good maintenance, but otherwise isn't generally important. As caching becomes more and more urbanized, what I see is more emphasis being put on interesting stories, ironic locations, and, most of all, humor. Yeah, a film container under a lamp skirt is still considered boring, but make it a bison attached to a Barbie doll, and now it'll get a bunch of favorite points even though it's hidden under the same lamp skirt.

Is that bad? I can't say it is.

And a second factor is that there are just a whole lot more caches in my area. It sounds like that's also true where you are. This isn't because people want more caches to run up their numbers. It's because geocaching is more popular. Guess what? More caches means more bad caches as much as it means more good caches.

There are also more cachers, all feeling guilty for not adding caches as fast as the big time cachers in their area are. So, guess what else? More COs that don't know what they're doing.

So stop for a second and consider whether that rain of mint tins isn't as small a fraction of total caches as those decaying disposable sandwich boxes you were finding a couple years ago were.

I'm not ragging on you, I'm just showing the other side. If you want to improve things, you'll have to be more specific about what's wrong beyond "people are hiding mint tins." You might as well go somewhere else if you think the 80% of the caches that are micros today are bad simply because of their size. More important, you're going to have to come up with specific suggestions for doing better hides beyond "hide ammo cans on mountain tops with great views."

As it happens, any improvements I can think of are already being done: caches are being hidden so fast that for every one that I think could be better, I find 5 others that take me to an interesting place, tell me an interesting story, challenge me, or make me laugh in a new and different way. Often all four.