Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Mike & Jess

Seminar style GC events for geocachers

A couple of us have been kicking the idea around for some time, and now may have the resources to do a couple of geocaching seminar type events.

Now that we have a location and what not nailed down, it's time to figure out what topics to cover.

So far, I'm thinking the following (which I can instruct/offer);

- Intro GSAK (Don't think we have anyone fluent enough with the software to teach an experts course)

- Magnetic compass and topo basics (when the GPS fails...)

- Backpacker's basics

- Hides 101 (Tips and tricks from the hide, to creating the cache page and reserving the location)

What other topics should we consider offering?

Puzzle Solving 101 would probably be well attended.

That would mean that myself or who ever would be giving the course should get more exposure to those tough puzzles.

Our area (Northern Ontario) is pretty isolated from the cool (and not) Geocaching stuff (interesting puzzles, etc). We're trying hard to bring that stuff to our area.

If you have any good information resources on the subject, that would be great.

If you have any good information resources on the subject, that would be great.
Well, since you asked... ;) Here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago) that I have posted before:

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

bcaching.wordpress.com/2008/08/05/puzzles-part-1/]Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

GC25WQJ]How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the

www.geocachealaska.org/education.htm]GeocacheAlaska! education page

thegba.net/resources/puzzle_faq.php The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online. (You'll need to register on the GBA site to view these forum threads.)

thegba.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5276

thegba.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5688

Edited by markcase
removed external links per guidelines

Holy...

We have better get some good puzzles here before I start looking into doing a course of how to solve them.

From what I have seen, we do not have anything immediately local that requires that much effort.

Guess I have some new cache hides to start working on. This will be a bit of a learning curve for myself event.

This post has been edited by markcase: 13 October 2012 - 04:04 AM

Reason for edit: removed external links per guidelines

What guidelines would that be? I've been posting variations of this message for years, and AFAIK this is the first time the links have been stripped to comply with "guidelines".

The forum guidelines at the top of the forum. External links by some ill-intending people have taken players to sites inappropriate. I have only been the moderator for a year now and have removed links that take you away from Geocaching.com and the forum itself since my training. I leave the site so players can cut and paste, but the direct link is removed to protect players. Posts prior to my training I have left since someone else was the moderator. Hope that helps.

Mark Case

Education Forum Moderator