eTrex 20/30 software version 2.87 Beta

ThreeTrees

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5557

Change History

Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.87:

Added Adventure support with latest version of BaseCamp. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/garmin-adventures.html) for more information.

Added support for new tempe sensor on eTrex 30 devices. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/tempe-sensor.html) for more information.

Improved accuracy of compass calibration on eTrex 30 devices. A new manual compass calibration is required (Setup > Heading > Calibrate Compass).

Improved map drawing at low zoom levels.

Improved load times for geocache descriptions.

Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from BaseCamp (identical maps required).

Fixed issue with picture rotation when using the photo viewer on eTrex 30 devices.

Fixed possible error message when disconnecting the device from a computer.

I'm looking forward to see if it really improves the compass calibration which has always seemed poor on the eTrex 30.

I'll post my findings here.

Edited by ThreeTrees

WELL GARMIN ITS ABOUT TIME...IVE HAD THIS TEMPE FOR ABOUT 1 MONTH AND FINAL IM ABLE TO USE IT...DOWNLOAD WENT SMOOTHLY NO PROBLEMS SO FAR....AND FOR ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE STAYING WITH THE 2.80 ILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THE 2.87 IS....CAUSE THE COMPASS REALLY NEEDS SOME HELP WITH THE 2.80..I GOT A NICE HIKE IN THE HIGHLANDS OF JESEY GONA SEE ME SOME THE BEAUTY OF FALL CANT WAIT....UPDATE COULDNT COME AT A BETTER TIME...FUNNY THING IS EVERYDAY I PLUG MY 30 INTO THE COMPUTER UNDER GARMINS DASHBOARD TO SCAN FOR THE NEW SOFTWARE AND THIS WAS POSTED ON THE 9TH AND ITS NOW THE 12TH AND IM FINAL GETTING IT....dadgum GARMIN GET IT TOGETHER...FELL SORRY FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DONT SCROLL THE INTERNET AND LOOK AT DIFERENT RESOURCES FOR SOFTWARE...ANYWAY...I UPGRADED THE 30 THE TEMPE LOOKS TO BE FUNCTIONING FINE ILL GIVE IT A GO TOMORROW FOR A NICE GOOD 12 MILE HIKE AND ABOUT 15 CACHES THAT I HAVENT GOT YET IN THE FOREST...IM SO SIKED...ILL REPORT BACK TOMOROW OR SUNDAY TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW MY FINDING OF ME AND MY 30 RUNNING THE 2.87.....BLESSED BY THE BEST...DAVE

Edited by BELOVED07

My recently acquired $90 (hardware only, no contract) smartphone doesn't even NEED active calibration for the compass. It just works and works and works. I understand the situation is quite different on the etrex considering its replaceable batteries... but yeah... I certainly hope garmin got it right this time - might pull out my Trex from the drawer next weekend and try out the new firmware.

My recently acquired $90 (hardware only, no contract) smartphone doesn't even NEED active calibration for the compass. It just works and works and works. I understand the situation is quite different on the etrex considering its replaceable batteries... but yeah... I certainly hope garmin got it right this time - might pull out my Trex from the drawer next weekend and try out the new firmware.

All electronic compasses need calibration. I thought the compass on my phone did not require calibration until I did some tests and found that it was actually about 10 degrees off. A few gyrations of the phone and retest showed it was right on.

All electronic compasses need calibration. I thought the compass on my phone did not require calibration until I did some tests and found that it was actually about 10 degrees off. A few gyrations of the phone and retest showed it was right on.

Of course they do, that's why I wrote "active calibration", as in practical specific action/procedure from the user. 10 degrees off is in my book pretty much nothing. It's still the correct general direction. 45 is where it starts getting really questionable, and my uncalibrated 30 sure was far over this figure...

My recently acquired $90 (hardware only, no contract) smartphone doesn't even NEED active calibration for the compass. It just works and works and works. I understand the situation is quite different on the etrex considering its replaceable batteries... but yeah... I certainly hope garmin got it right this time - might pull out my Trex from the drawer next weekend and try out the new firmwar

thats cool but some places were i go cell phones are just weight in your pockets....

ok everybody back from my hike/cache adventure...the 2.87 performed flawless in my 30 today...thank god...also the tempe worked pretty good also....started my hike at 11 and ended at 5 and didnt have 1 problem...only calibrated my compass once thank god...the problem were the compass locks up when you stop is fixed...the compass was registering all the time like its suppose to ....also the other options in the firmware were fine....loaded caches...wrote notes...downloaded field notes...also the sattelite reception was perfect didnt drop signal even though the forest still has alot of leaves left on the trees the signal was strong maintained about a 9ft acuracy...the compass was a big relief not having to calibrate it every 5 minutes....with the 30 the detail was alil better i run a 24k map and the shading was alot crisper on some mountains i was hikeing on.....also the topo and elavation lines were alot clearer...all in all the 2.87 worked like a charm....note to all who have a tempe keep the tempe in a spot that the sun wont effect the temp cause when you are hikeing in a clearing with the sun beaming down on you the sun will effect the tempe also dont have it to close to your hydration pack as well as the water cooling will also effect the temp....i have mine on the outside of my maxpedition pack clipped on a piece of 1in molle but i have a piece of maxpedition gear on top of the tempe,i have the maxpedition gps and map setup and the tempe is mounted right bellow the gps pouch,its hidden from dirct sunlight and well away from my hydration pack...anyway the software worked perfect and im finally happy with my 30 and glad i got rid of my oregon 450...its about time garmin....it only get better from hear guys so if your on the fence about the download do it its alot better then the 2.80...if you guys run into problems post em so we can get a heads up but i didnt have a problem you guys will be happy with you devices....this is how its suppose to work when you buy your unit finally...peace and blessings to all dave

Just to translate...

well garmin its about time...ive had this tempe for about 1 month and final im able to use it...download went smoothly no problems so far....and for all those people who are staying with the 2.80 ill let you know how the 2.87 is....cause the compass really needs some help with the 2.80..i got a nice hike in the highlands of jesey gona see me some the beauty of fall cant wait....update couldnt come at a better time...funny thing is everyday i plug my 30 into the computer under garmins dashboard to scan for the new software and this was posted on the 9th and its now the 12th and im final getting it....dadgum garmin get it together...fell sorry for the people who dont scroll the internet and look at diferent resources for software...anyway...i upgraded the 30 the tempe looks to be functioning fine ill give it a go tomorrow for a nice good 12 mile hike and about 15 caches that i havent got yet in the forest...im so siked...ill report back tomorow or sunday to let you guys know my finding of me and my 30 running the 2.87.....blessed by the best...dave

I just find ALL CAPS impossible to read.

WELL GARMIN ITS ABOUT TIME...IVE HAD THIS TEMPE FOR ABOUT 1 MONTH AND FINAL IM ABLE TO USE IT...DOWNLOAD WENT SMOOTHLY NO PROBLEMS SO FAR....AND FOR ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE STAYING WITH THE 2.80 ILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THE 2.87 IS....CAUSE THE COMPASS REALLY NEEDS SOME HELP WITH THE 2.80..I GOT A NICE HIKE IN THE HIGHLANDS OF JESEY GONA SEE ME SOME THE BEAUTY OF FALL CANT WAIT....UPDATE COULDNT COME AT A BETTER TIME...FUNNY THING IS EVERYDAY I PLUG MY 30 INTO THE COMPUTER UNDER GARMINS DASHBOARD TO SCAN FOR THE NEW SOFTWARE AND THIS WAS POSTED ON THE 9TH AND ITS NOW THE 12TH AND IM FINAL GETTING IT....dadgum GARMIN GET IT TOGETHER...FELL SORRY FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DONT SCROLL THE INTERNET AND LOOK AT DIFERENT RESOURCES FOR SOFTWARE...ANYWAY...I UPGRADED THE 30 THE TEMPE LOOKS TO BE FUNCTIONING FINE ILL GIVE IT A GO TOMORROW FOR A NICE GOOD 12 MILE HIKE AND ABOUT 15 CACHES THAT I HAVENT GOT YET IN THE FOREST...IM SO SIKED...ILL REPORT BACK TOMOROW OR SUNDAY TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW MY FINDING OF ME AND MY 30 RUNNING THE 2.87.....BLESSED BY THE BEST...DAVE

thats cool but some places were i go cell phones are just weight in your pockets....

There is offline map software for Android and the phones can be set to airplane mode to not waste battery on network chatter.

Biggest problem compared to dedicated GPS is rather that most such devices are non-rugged/not waterproof. There are some exceptions like the Xperia Active, but I've never touched it or know how good it is.

Any comments about map re-draw times while zooming and panning ,with high detail levels?

Never really noticed any more problems with my 30 compass compared to my 76 one,as long as it was left turned on it seemed ok

SLOWLY was there before,I think my 76 also said just right and too fast...definately had a better cpu.

Edited by Forkeye

OK updated to 2.87 and map re-draw times slightly better on mine,high detail levels are still too much for it.

There was no mention of a fix of that though. "Improved map drawing" could as well mean reprioritizing what objects are shown at low zoom levels.

I gave 2.87 a good workout this morning. 10 caches in varied terrain and cover and the compass worked flawlessly. I only calibrated the compass once when I loaded the firmware a couple of days ago. I usually only use topo maps from GPSFileDepot.com. Today I made a custom map of the preserve I was hiking in. I disabled all maps except for the custom map. Map draws when zooming or panning with the custom map was really slow at times, but not unusable. Unfortunately I do not have a baseline using custom maps prior to v. 2.87. So this may be normal. The NJ Topo map redraws seemed to be normal.

I gave 2.87 a good workout this morning. 10 caches in varied terrain and cover and the compass worked flawlessly. I only calibrated the compass once when I loaded the firmware a couple of days ago. I usually only use topo maps from GPSFileDepot.com. Today I made a custom map of the preserve I was hiking in. I disabled all maps except for the custom map. Map draws when zooming or panning with the custom map was really slow at times, but not unusable. Unfortunately I do not have a baseline using custom maps prior to v. 2.87. So this may be normal. The NJ Topo map redraws seemed to be normal.

sounds great. Can't wait to get mine out for a run. How do you make the custom maps?

Since upgrading to 2.87,I have noticed that when I power up my 30 most of the time it goes to the satellite page,but the odd time it goes to the menu page, a minor issue I know,just wondered if anyone else noticed it,maybe it was even there before I dont remember for sure.It doesnt seem to matter what my last screen viewed was.

Edited by Forkeye

The frequent compass calibration issue on the eTrex 30 appears to be resolved in v2.87. What an improvement!

I calibrated the compass once, and that was by choice at the trailhead so as to start things clean, then it was off to find some caches. Found several caches and never once did it fail to point to GZ, no matter which way I faced, ever. Three hours later, my battery indicator had drop by one bar, and it was still working properly, no recalibration was ever required.

Kudos to Garmin for addressing this issue. It’s turned a good GPS into an excellent GPS.

Geez, I'd be THRILLED if I could get my Etrex 30 compass accurate to within 10 degrees on a regular basis! I'm looking forward to testing this. That's my biggest complaint with the 30.

Of course they do, that's why I wrote "active calibration", as in practical specific action/procedure from the user. 10 degrees off is in my book pretty much nothing. It's still the correct general direction. 45 is where it starts getting really questionable, and my uncalibrated 30 sure was far over this figure...

That's awesome. I got in the habit of stopping whenever the 30 said I was within 50' of GZ and doing a calibration before I started seriously looking around. Sometimes I could go hours and hours and sometimes it would be off again in less than an hour. My update is installing now.

I might be missing something technical, but why couldn't they sort of do an active periodic automatic compass calibration based on GPS positoning? I mean, they could see you're moving at xx degrees but the compass is reading yy degrees, etc. With a consistent averaged directional reading, wouldn't it be safe to assume the compass is a tad off and correct it?

30-second post-upgrade review: Map redraws while scrolling the screen is slower, especially getting the arrow from one side of the screen to the other before the map even starts to scroll. The topo shading with the Garmin 24k map seems a little better, though. It took me 4 tries to get a successful compass calibration while sitting at my kitchen table. Not a good test, but it looks like the calibration process is much more fussy about accepting sloppy timing. Well, off to work and I'll have to wait until later to try anything real with it.

The frequent compass calibration issue on the eTrex 30 appears to be resolved in v2.87. What an improvement!

I calibrated the compass once, and that was by choice at the trailhead so as to start things clean, then it was off to find some caches. Found several caches and never once did it fail to point to GZ, no matter which way I faced, ever. Three hours later, my battery indicator had drop by one bar, and it was still working properly, no recalibration was ever required.

Kudos to Garmin for addressing this issue. It's turned a good GPS into an excellent GPS.

Had a little time to play with the 2.87 upgrade on my Etrex 30 and here's the report I sent to Garmin's beta email address:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Arrow pans around the screen MUCH slower than before. It takes a lot longer to get the arrow to the other side of the screen to start panning the map.

Map redraws slower, but the detail seems a little better.

Routing preferences are not saved per Profile.

ie, Auto Profile has Guidance Method=On Road, Calculate Routes for=Auto.

Hiking Profile has Guidance Method=Off Road, Calculate Routes for=Pedestrian.

These two items are not automatically switched when changing from Auto Profile

to Hiking Profile, for example.

It took 4 tries to get a successful compass calibration. First two steps went fine, but it failed step 3 four times before it calibrated successfully. I had to do step 3 much faster than step 1 and 2 to get it to accept it. The calibration seems to be better, though.

Response time when selecting a Where To:Waypoint from the list is now abysmal. There is no feedback that it has registered the selection and the 15 second backlight timeout goes off before the 'Go' choice comes up. It was annoyingly slow before, but now it's over 15 seconds before I can select Go. I had to change the backlight setting to 30 seconds. Select a Where To:Geocache and it comes up very quickly. This only seems to affect Waypoints. If I select a Waypoint in Waypoint Manager it comes up quickly, but selecting Map will also have a long delay.

There is a bug in the Geocaching dashboard display. The direction/distance info shows the nearest cache, even if you have nothing selected yet. Even worse, if we select a waypoint to navigate to and select 'Go', it continues to show direction/distance info to the nearest cache instead. The map will show the magenta line pointing to the waypoint and the navigation will be to the waypoint, but the dashboard display will still be pointing to the nearest geocache instead. It also does this when navigating to the Next Stage of a multi-cache. The magenta line will be directing me to Stage Two, but the dashboard direction/distance info will continue to display the original Stage 1, which is now behind me as I walk to stage 2. When I am navigating to a single stage geocache, the Geocaching dashboard display behaves normally. This only happens with the map display set to 'Dashboard-Geocaching'.

I went to find a cache and the compass behaved much better. However, once I got to GZ the navigation switched off automatically (this is something new) and the dashboard switched from 'Geocaching' to 'Custom'.

Ok - an outing today. Yes the compass seems fixed but the calibration procedure takes some time to get through. Map panning is now awfully slow - why on earth did they change that? To better disguise the fact that the receiver can't keep up with the map panning speed that previously was set?

Revert time...just use a real compass and you cant go wrong,been doing it since 1970 and never had an issue!!

Fix the compass and mess up a bunch of other stuff,my god I bet I could find a geo cache with just a good real compass,what did you think the military did way back,we didnt need a gps.The CPU is too slow to handle complex maps and that the way it is,there was mention of this a while back and it seems to be so,we will all run out and buy the next unit and the saga will continue!

Edited by Forkeye

Revert time...just use a real compass and you cant go wrong,been doing it since 1970 and never had an issue!!

Fix the compass and mess up a bunch of other stuff,my god I bet I could find a geo cache with just a good real compass,

Yep, I normally just use a Silva and check the bearing on the GPS. Regarding finding geocaches maps+compass only, I think there's a small subculture within geocaching doing exactly that. It may take more time for sure but with a good topographic map and the description I do see it being very possible even in far off terrain...

Anyway... electronic compass messup seems to be a garmin thing. I have an old casio protrek watch which probably works as good as my Silva (both need to be held level). Same for the smartphones, absolutely no problem, and they're triaxial so little need to hold level.

Yep, I normally just use a Silva and check the bearing on the GPS. Regarding finding geocaches maps+compass only, I think there's a small subculture within geocaching doing exactly that. It may take more time for sure but with a good topographic map and the description I do see it being very possible even in far off terrain...

I'll have to check that out,I just installed the geocache app on my Iphone and it seems to be very quick and fuctional so I will play with that for abit,while Garmin tryyyys again.

My map panning and compass calibration didnt seem much different than before???? I'll try it again

Edited by Forkeye

My compass calibration works fine tried several times with no problems unless I turn it too fast and I can now use the compass the next day and it still seems fine without recalibration.

My map panning and zooming seems slightly better actually,but I am using Garmin maps,Backroads B.C. Canada maps(which is the most complex one I have),Northwest topo Washington state,perhaps these are simple maps,I dont make my own....my 76csx still out performs the etrex 30 with the maps I have.

I dont use profiles ,haven't had a problem selecting waypoints

As I metioned abouve it does not always display the satellite page after powering up,(this is the page at the top of the page sequence list) it sometimes goes to the menu screen even if I power off with the satellite page displayed.

Haven't tried geocaching yet

Strange how some folks have proplems and some don't...like some of us have different hardware in our units and Garmin is somehow trying to develope software that works in all of them.

Edited by Forkeye

Hi,

I would like to share an odd think that happened with my etrex 30 with 2.87 beta version. When I was navigated in the town, suddenly I looked to the GPS and the screen was black with GARMIN in the middle. It was blocked. I could not turn it off with the power button. To turn it off I took the batteries off. This happened three times. At first I thought it was related with the fact that the batteries was with low charge but today I am using full charged batteries.

It was the first time this happen to me. I do not know if this is related with this beta version. I will sent this to garmin beta team.

Regards

Hi,

I would like to share an odd think that happened with my etrex 30 with 2.87 beta version. When I was navigated in the town, suddenly I looked to the GPS and the screen was black with GARMIN in the middle. It was blocked. I could not turn it off with the power button. To turn it off I took the batteries off. This happened three times. At first I thought it was related with the fact that the batteries was with low charge but today I am using full charged batteries.

It was the first time this happen to me. I do not know if this is related with this beta version. I will sent this to garmin beta team.

Regards

Yes, I myself had the Black Screen once, and a White Screen lockup once, too. Etrex 30 and V2.87. Both instances required me to pull the battery to restart. In the White Screen incident, I had several corrupt files that had to be corrected, rebuilt, etc. after it rebooted. THAT was scary!

I had a long caching session on Saturday and two separate sessions on Sunday with an Etrex 30 and V2.87.

The compass calibration is VERY tedious because it takes 4 or 5 tries to get it accepted. However, once it was calibrated I did not have to recalibrate again during the day. The compass responds a little slower now, but maintained it's accuracy all day through a variety of terrain. Because the compass update also seems to drive the 'track up' display, the map rotation when changing directions is a little slower, too. But quite acceptable, IMHO. Pretty happy with this resolution, and I'm sure they will nail down the fussiness in Step 3 of the compass calibration procedure.

However, the compass display when using the Geocaching Dashboard is seriously broken. Part of the problem was there in previous versions, but the behavior is quite poor now. If I geocache using the '4 data fields' setting, it works really well. Too bad, the Geocaching dashboard is very nice. Hopefully they will get those dashboard problems ironed out before the final release. It is puzzling to see the main Compass screen update nicely but the smaller Compass display on the geocaching dashboard be so broken.

I also tried the Garmin Adventures feature and will probably not use it again until I hear that they have added support for geocaching adventures. It was a cool concept, though. I made an adventure of a single park that had 21 caches in it. I found 20 of the 21 but was dismayed that even though I marked them as Found on the Etrex, they would not update in BaseCamp as Found. I had to delete the whole adventure, re-import my PQ and manually mark them off. Plus, I had a white screen lockup about a quarter into the adventure and it corrupted the geocachevisits.txt file and one of the XML files when I had to pull the battery to reboot. On Sunday, I had deleted my adventures and stuck to the '4 data fields' map display and I had no problems at all.

So my opinion is 2.87 is a good improvement overall, just stay away from the Adventures and don't use the Geocaching dashboard display until we hear that the issues with them have been resolved.

OK thx,I already emailed the regular tech. support line,and after I explained to them that it was a 2.87 update problem,the girl told me I needed to update my software???I have expirienced this kind of stupidity before with Garmin when I have explained problems in detail and then they start asking me questions that were already explained in my first email..WTF Garmin who is working the help line desk? One day I am going to throw this stupid paper weight all the way to Kansas and I hope it hits you in the head!

I've been using 2.87 since I started the thread and I have not really experienced any major issues. This past weekend something new happened. Arrived at the parking spot to start a couple mile hike to a cache. Turned on my eTrex 30 and it froze loading the waypoints. I had manually created a waypoint for my hike prior to leaving the house. I had to pull the batteries and restart it. It started normally this time.

Nothing earth shattering, just an observation.

I find it so peculiar that some eTrex owners have problems, and others don't :huh:. It's seems to be the same with the Oregon versions - some problems, others not. I uploaded 2.87 to my eTrex 30 right after it was released and have not experienced any problems whatsoever. I often wonder if it is because the units are so "customizable" (if that's a word) - owners can set many different functions/sequences/fields, in multiple profiles - the end result may be that the GPSr's respond differently based on those "different" settings (some combinations work, some not so much). I dunno, hopefully there will be a final version one day that works well for all.

Bill

Hi,

why is Garmin take so long to get a new software release? It passed almost two months from the 2.87.

Perhaps because many weirdities have occured with it. The compass now works and some other frustrating stuff has been fixed but I'm seeing random shutdowns, something I never did since the software it was shipped with (2.50?)