GAPP (Globalcaching APPlication)

GAPP is a free geocache manager application that enables Premium members to browse and maintain geocaches on their local computer.

GAPP is Geocaching Live enabled which makes it very easy to update your geocaches by downloading Pocket Queries or downloading geocaches by search criteria right from your application without the need to access geocaching.com.

The application is intended for all user types, for the users who never used a geocache manager before to the experienced heavy data users. The application will be directly functional right after installation and can be configured to your needs. Programmers have access to the full source code to write plugins to add functionality or change existing functionality.

Just try it and give here your feedback or post feature requests.

Edited by De broekies

I have created a (boring and long) GAPP feature overview movie. Not all features are shown (like shapefiles or other settings), but in general you should get the idea.

Maybe the most interesting part is at the end where maps are explained. E.g. the offline map support.

Edited by De broekies

Since the introduction of GAPP, the application has been improved a lot with lots of new features. Now that GAPP is a full featured geocache manager application, actually more than just a geocache manager, it was time to improve the website and add its own English forum to it.

Today the new website for GAPP has been launched: http://gapp.globalcaching.eu

Feel free to visit the website and join the forum.

Needless to say that it is a continuous project and we will keep working on GAPP and its website.

- Robert

Can GAPP export .gdb-Files that can be imported into Garmin Mapsource?

At this moment there is no export to a .gdb file. But many features are created per request, so this feature can be added as well.

But then I have a few questions to understand it.

Mapsource can read GPX files. This is not sufficient?

The goal of GAPP is to have an all in one application. It already has tons of features, including offline maps. Why the need to run Mapsource?

Maybe it is even a better idea to implement the features you use in Mapsource in GAPP?

I will first try to find the gdb fileformat specification. If that is not successful, I might do the same as GSAK does and use GPSBabel.

And can GAPP shorten geocache names like the GSAK smart name function does?

At this moment this feauture only is supported by the Garmin export using the Garmin communicator. But if you would like it on other places as well, please let me know.

- Robert

PS:

A general note; GAPP supports C# scripts. This means that everyone can extend the application.

But if you like to create a functionality that could be usefull to others too, then you can ask for access to the SVN repository. After creating the plugin, we can add it to the default installation so everyone can enjoy it.

More information for developers can be found here .

Edited by De broekies

The POI Export-Function (i.e. useful for older etrex devices) will also shorten names if needed. It also tries to be somewhat smart in doing it. (Surely this is not exactly the same as the Smartnames function in GSAK)

Here's an eample of name shortening in the POI export:

POI_3.png

If needed spaces (& non alphanumeric chars) are removed and caps is alternated to mark the next word. If the name ends on a number that is usually retained. I.e. "VeryVeryLongName IV" gets "VeryVeryLongIV" and "I didn't know a name 2" would get "IdidntKnowAna2".

Names ending on "#" in this image are exported waypoints (i.e. #PK = Parking).

Edited by SKAMS

It can read GPX files but the GPX export contains only CG-Codes rather than cache names. Or can I change this in the setup menu?

The goal of GAPP is to have an all in one application. It already has tons of features, including offline maps. Why the need to run Mapsource?

Maybe it is even a better idea to implement the features you use in Mapsource in GAPP?

I use it as a fast viewer and editor. For example to remove Caches, to join different files using copy and paste, to print a map, to load the caches on the GPS device and many things more.

At this moment this feauture only is supported by the Garmin export using the Garmin communicator. But if you would like it on other places as well, please let me know.

It would be nice if it is available in the .gdb or GPX export.

A general note; GAPP supports C# scripts. This means that everyone can extend the application.

But if you like to create a functionality that could be usefull to others too, then you can ask for access to the SVN repository. After creating the plugin, we can add it to the default installation so everyone can enjoy it.

More information for developers can be found here .

I'm not a programmer but maybe I can learn it.

It can read GPX files but the GPX export contains only CG-Codes rather than cache names. Or can I change this in the setup menu?

At this moment it can only be set within the Garmin Export (so, when copying the data to the Garmin GPX).

I will add this feature to the GPX export too. And yes, that will be a setting.

Next version will have this.

It would be nice if it is available in the .gdb or GPX export.

OK, I will add this setting for the GPX export too.

Due to your request here for export to .gdb files, I contacted the developer of WinGDB3. He was willing to provide code that could do this. However, we came to the conclusion that since Mapsource and Basecamp are supporting GPX import, there is not really a need for .gdb export in GAPP.

And understanding your reason, why you ask for it, it makes more sense to use the geocache name rather than the geocache code for export to GPX for Mapsource. So, if I add this setting, you should be fine, right?

Next version will probably be released in a few days and will have this setting.

- Robert

Edited by De broekies

Many thanks for implementing the feature.

Is it possible to disable the annoying clustering on the map?

No......not yet

But I can make it optional if you like.

For some situations you really want clustering, because otherwise the map will be too slow (eg. with 20.000 markers).

Next version will have more options to control the map behaviour. Thanks for the suggestion.

- Robert

The new version is ready for download.

You can now set the desired behaviour of the google map marker clusterer.

You can find these settings on the settings page (Plugins->Settings) Under Maps.

You have the option to set the following cluster settings:

- Enable clustering above # geocaches (so, under this amount, no clustering will be done)

- set the maximum zoom lever for clustering

- set the grid size.

Robert

Ever since the last time we posted here there have been many new releases in GAPP.

Download GAPP for free!

Change history

2013-10-18 - V1.9.4

add: OKAPI, Import geocaches within radius

add: OKAPI, Authorization added. This will add features to be implemented that requires Authentication level 3

fix: LiveAPI, Import geocaches when not PM now skips PM filters

add: option to hide the OKAPI menu

add: Formula Solver plugin (by superudo)

add: Main screen, added Formula solver to the taskbar

2013-10-13 - V1.9.3

change: French language updated (thanks icaunais and RHCV)

change: German language updated (thanks SKAMS)

change: Framework now supports account name per geocache prefix (GC, MZ, OX, OC etc) (re-import Munzees if applicable)

add: Action Builder now has a filter Is own

add: Settings folder selection at startup of the application now contains a Default button to select the applications default settings folder

add: Settings folder selection in file menu now contains a Default button to select the applications default settings folder

add: Settings for account names for other sites. Coupling is done by GC code prefix like GC, OX and OC

add: OKAPI support plugin (support for opencaching.de, opencaching.pl and opencaching.nl)

add: OKAPI, Import My Finds plugin (imports all your logs with geocaches)

add: OKAPI, Import by bounding box plugin added

add: OKAPI, Import by list of geocache codes

2013-10-09 - V1.9.2

fix: Query editor, operator now restored correctly after restarting GAPP

fix: Warning dialog text when delete and ignore the active geocache

fix: Search geocaches within a region fix for search within selection

fix: Search geocaches within region for the first region in the list

2013-10-02 - V1.9.1

fix: Export to Garmin and GPX for name prefix if geocache has extra/corrected coordinates

add: Live API plugin to import the geocache images (image data only)

fix: GSAK import, now able to handle attributes where the Inc property has not been set

fix: GSAK import, now also reads the Corrected table for additional corrected coordinates

change: Trackable group, added the extra delay setting too for importing the trackable logs

add: Live API, import logs of geocaches (with setting to import maximum number of logs per geocache)

fix: Live API, log geocache with geocache_visits.txt now imports also the geocache with prefix correctly

change: Live API, import logs of other users now supports filtering on log types

2013-09-28 - V1.9.0

fix: Copy to existing database contained an error when loading the target database file

add: Framework, added Geocache Images collection to the framework

add: Live API, Geocache images are now imported too (including the ones not in the listing)

change: Main Window, status bar now also contains number of geocache images (imported through Live API)

add: Data storage, added geocache images (default GAPP Data Storage only)

change: Image grabber for offline images now also downloads the images that are listed in Geocache images data (not only in description)

change: Geocache viewer, Added Geocache images at the end of the geocache description by name

add: added to grab images plugin option to create a photo folder for offline usage (structure for Garmin devices offline picture viewing)

add: Export to Garmin device (mass storage) now also has the option to add images

2013-09-22 - V1.8.11

fix: Live API geocaches import/update using now the correct published date (instead of creation date)

change: Live API, import geocaches/update also available for non PM (lite import only)

change: Live API, import notes also available for non PM

change: Live API, trackable groups also available for non PM

change: Live API, import My Finds also available for non PM

add: RestoreDefaultSettings application added to clear all settings and data.

change: If application fails to start, the user has the option to restore the default settings

2013-09-18 - V1.8.10

fix: UserWaypoints on geocaching.com (corrected waypoints) are now copied to extra coordinate in GAPP

2013-09-16 - V1.8.9

fix: Geocache collection toolbar button on main window

add: Locus - addon GSAK database export plugin added

change: Settings screen, increased default width of treeview

fix: Google map, changing coupling to main screen now reloads the map.

add: Export to GPX now includes an option to add a prefix to the name if extra coords are available (corrected)

add: Export to Garmin now includes an option to add a prefix to the name if extra coords are available (corrected)

2013-09-12 - V1.8.8

add: Windows can now be set to always on top (will decouple from main window). This can be set from system menu.

add: Option to set the transparency of windows that stay on top, but are not active

fix: Geocoding changed from Google API V2 to Google API V3

add: Main screen added toolbar buttons for GCVote and Geocache collections

change: French language updated (thanks icaunais)

2013-09-09 - V1.8.7

fix: Geocache collection fix for creating collections that contain upper case letters

change: Geocache collection now highlights active geocache and if code is selected, the geocache is made the active geocache

2013-09-08 - V1.8.6

fix: OCM GPX files are now read even if Log IDs are not valid IDs. Logs with invalid IDs are now skipped.

fix: Live API, Import my finds logs are now added to all found geocaches

add: Search geocaches, added filter for owned geocaches

add: GCVote dashboard (screen menu)

add: Export to Excel, added GCVote

change: French language updated (thanks RHCV)

add: Geocache collection plugin added (these are bookmarks that are not related to geocaching.com bookmarks)

add: Action Builder, added In collection filter

2013-08-31 - V1.8.5

change: Action Builder, Waypoint counter now has extra option to count the geocache itself also as waypoint

add: Action builder, the geocaches can now be sorted before going through the flow

add: Backup and restore database option

change: default setting for showing or hiding top panel of Cache list and Google map is changed to manual

add: GCVote plugin added. Import votes and added filters for the Action Builder

2013-08-20 - V1.8.4

change: Log geocache form changed position of controls so all will be visible, also on small displays

add: Repair database files option in case loading fails

change: stack notification messages vertical

fix: Live API, import geocaches now assignes extra coordinates if User Waypoint is present with corrected flag

fix: Action builder, days agao published now ignoring time (only full days)

add: Action builder, add condition Waypoints counter

fix: GPX import, Cito events are now marked as Cito events

add: Cache list, added Waypoints column indicating number of child waypoints

change: Cache list, automatic expand and collaps top panel

change: Google maps, automatic expand and collaps top panel

2013-08-11 - V1.8.3

fix: iGeoKnife export now fills the corrected table also (for corrected coordinates)

change: Garmin export using communicator now uses geocaching.com url to javascripts

fix: corrected log date for logging trackables

change: if after importing geocaches geocaches are ignored, a dialog will be displayed to inform the user

2013-08-03 - V1.8.2

fix: export to GPX or Garmin, fix for cutting off geocaching name length

fix: Google Map, re-opening window after closing will now reload the map

change: Google Map, an info window will now be shown when the active geocache is changed (selected or all only)

2013-08-02 - V1.8.1

fix: Action builder, dates are restored correctly (not reverting to current date)

add: Export to iGeoKnife added

fix: Google Earth map now places the geocaches on the corrected coords if available

add: Export to Garmin using Mass storage now also has the option to limit the length of the cache name

2013-07-24 - V1.8.0

add: OSM map integrated in Google Maps. You can now switch between both maps types.

add: Offline map integrated in Google Maps. You can now switch between both maps types.

change: Google Map, optimize loading speed for selected or all geocaches (IE 8 or higher)

2013-07-19 - V1.7.13

change: Live API, import geocaches now shows an error message if Live API call fails.

change: Live API, import geocaches from bookmarks now shows an error message if Live API call fails.

change: Live API, import Favorites now shows an error message if Live API call fails.

add: Action Builder, counters are displayed at each connector and input to show the geocache counter passed that point

change: Main window, Google translate geocache description is now opened in internal browser if this option is set in the Geocache Viewer

change: Live API, update geocaches decreased batch size to 30

add: Live API, update geocaches now has an option (setting) to automatically unselect the geocaches that are updated

2013-07-13 - V1.7.12

add: Main window, added google translate option in the toolbar with option of 4 languages

fix: Ignore geocache filter, bug in filter by geocache owner

fix: Action builder now uses date part only for date comparison (e.g. Published date)

add: Action to Clear Flagged. This will clear the Flagged markers of all or selected geocaches

2013-07-06 - V1.7.11

Live API, geocache batch logging now adds delay to prevent speed limit errors

change: Action to delete and ignore geocaches does have a progress bar now

fix: Live API, batch log geocaches when opening trackable panel, the panel has the correct size now

2013-07-02 - V1.7.10

fix: OSM maps now places all geocaches om extra coordinates if available

change: Live API Import geocache, dialog window now adds scrollbar if window is too small (low resolution screens)

fix: LiveAPI, log geocache/trackable does not check on PM anymore due to the fact that Basic members can also log through Live API

fix: Automatic select new geocaches now does not select all geocaches when you open an existing file

fix: Live API, log date correction

2013-06-26 - V1.7.9

add: Cache list, added presets. Easy to create presets and switch to other preset

fix: Google map, also found geocaches now are placed on extra (corrected) coords if available

add: Export to Excel now has two extra fields. Extra coordinate (presentation) and Auto coords (Custom if available else original coords)

fix: Live API, import my finds

2013-06-23 - V1.7.8

change: Main window, menu items are disabled when not applicable or cannot be performed at that moment

add: Log viewer, added option to remove selected logs

add: Package manager, added option to download files (but not install)

add: Cache list, added hints column

2013-06-16 - V1.7.7

change: Added X-UA-Compatible tag to the Google Earth html

add: Log images thumbnail overview with filter options

2013-06-13 - V1.7.6

fix: Garmin Export using GGZ, now creates the ggz folder on the device if it does not exists

fix: GGZ export now uses corrected coordinates in index file if corrected coordinates are present

add: log photo's can be downloaded for offline use (available within settings)

2013-06-09 - V1.7.5

add: Google Earth map added

add: Quick selection to select geocaches with log images

fix: Live API, log images are now importered too

add: Action builder, added condition # Logs

add: Action builder, added condition # Log images

fix: Batch logging using c:geo txt or garmin geocache_vistis.txt file, now not adds other selected geocaches

add: Log image viewer

2013-05-28 - V1.7.4

change: removed option to disable plugins

fix: Automatic startup now executes after all plugins handled ApplicationInitialized

fix: Automatic startup now executes plugins in selected order

fix: Automatic startup, when opening settings the order is maintained

change: when updating the GAPP from within GAPP, GAPP is killed instead of closed.

change: Export to Garmin now has the option to select the GPX version

change: Chat, automatic retry on connection failures (max 3 times)

change: Action lists does not show the seperator - anymore

2013-05-26 - V1.7.3

add: Import GGZ files

add: Export to GGZ

add: Export to GPX, added option to add personal notes to description

add: Export to Garmin GPSr (Mass Storage), added option to create GGZ file

add: Export to Garmin GPSr (Mass Storage), added option to add personal notes to description

change: GPX creattion now adds extra empty line between personal notes and description

add: Export to GPX, make waypoint file optional (settings)

add: Export Garmin POI, added option to export only the active geocache

fix: Deleting geocaches warning now uses the correct warning text

2013-05-23 - V1.7.2

add: option to copy geocaches to another database

add: option to add geocaches from another database

2013-05-21 - V1.7.1

add: cache list, added row numbers

add: cache list, added column geocache type in text so it will be sortable on cache type

add: cache list, added Delete to context menu

change: cache list, pressing Delete key wil delete the active geocache

add: Export to Garmin using mass storage, option to use the database name as gpx file name

add: cache list, added tooltips for Selected, Flagged and Type column

2013-05-17 - V1.7.0

add: Cache list, added a setting to disable automatic sorting to improve performance (available through settings dialog)

2013-05-15 - V1.6.14

fix: Open areas, removing custom waypoints now actually removes it.

fix: Open areas, displaying only Mystery geocaches with corrected coordinates

fix: Open areas, some waypoints caused map not to be shown

add: Google maps, added setting to show also the name of the geocache in the tool tip

add: Main window, added tool bar icon for Open areas

2013-05-14 - V1.6.13

fix: Geocache viewer, use local images if available setting now saved and restored

fix: Geocache viewer, suppressed script errors

fix: Google maps, suppressed script errors

change: improved performance of deleting geocaches and logs

change: GAPP Data Storage, improved performance for search for empty space

fix: cache list, selecting geocaches does not refresh the complete list anymore and is now faster

add: Geocache log (single), added event log types

change: Internal browser, create pq series now has the option to automatically activate the PQ

fix: Log geocache (single) made panel automatic scrollable for very small screens

add: Open areas map

2013-05-11 - V1.6.12

add: Main window, added toolbar for the Action sequence

removed: Removed the coordinate backup plugin due to the fact that the Live API now provides coordinates for archived geocaches too

fix: Geocache viewer, prevent trying to update viewer at startup while not visible

changed: Scripts plugin, removed the option to select another folder

add: Added option to create seperate settings folders to create profiles

add: added command line option /f that forces the selection settings folder at startup. With this you can create a new settings folder for factory settings.

fix: simple cache list now displays custom attributes correctly

2013-05-06 - V1.6.11

add: Excel export, added Hints field

add: Export to Garmin, added option to set the Hints in the desc field of the GPX (will show as note on older GPSr)

add: Export to GPX, added option to set the Hints in the desc field of the GPX (will show as note on older GPSr)

fix: Geocache type icon for CITO event was missing. Added the icon to the setup package

change: Loading plugins in a fixed order

add: New plugin that enables the user to set properties of selected or all geocaches at once

2013-05-02 - V1.6.10

add: Geocache viewer now has option to show the additional wayponts

add: export to GPX, setting to add additional waypoints to description

add: export to Garmin, option to add additional waypoints to description

add: Main window, added Recent databases to File menu for quick access of previous used databases

add: Settings dialog, added a button to clear the Live API authorization

fix: Munzee import now does not assign a city name

add: Multiple account support for easy switching between accounts

change: Internal browser, saving pocket query settings will not overwrite setting with same name instead of creating a new one

Maybe you have noticed it, but during the last months the updates for GAPP were smaller and less frequent. It is not that no work has been done thought.

The current version of GAPP is great (hope you don't mind me saying that ;-) . It has a lot of features, is very flexible and has the option to ignore (not save) the changes you made.

However, not all users have the same way of working and would like to see things differently. With the experience of the current GAPP and with the knowlegde of what other users might like, a new version is being developed at this moment.

Before I continue; the current version of GAPP will not be replaced and will continue to be developed. The new version will run next to the current version, because it targets different users and it has a complete different look and feel.

Some aspects of the new GAPP (GAPP SF as I call it, SF stands for Small Footprint)

- only 1 executable

- uses far less memory

- no save button. everything is saved and restored after next start.

- main screen layout is less scattered

- multiple databases can be loaded at once (and copy/paste between then)

There is a small preview of the concept:

And of course, this is open source and you can follow it on GitHub https://github.com/GlobalcachingEU/GAPP

The project of the new application is GAPPSF

The plans are to get GAPP SF at the level of GAPP and from there on adding new features to both version.

- Robert

Just curious if GAPP is still being actively developed?  I hadn't used it in a while and tried to use it to import my finds.  For the past couple months, it has not worked.  I get the error messages noted below, even after authorizing the application with my geocaching.com account.

image.png.812f957da80ee7f97a475cb8d82e2c06.png

image.png.8bfb4a9fdf30053f79a65faedfc1122a.png

The developer decided to stop on march 1 2019. Reason: it's too much efford to rebuild GAPP (and all the website functionality) to the new Groundspeak API. This might be the first sign of the shutdown but it also can be a temporary thing.

Meanwhile, a lot of users are willing to take over some/most/all of the services 4geocaching.eu provides. To be continued.

More info (in Dutch) can be found on the forum of 4geocaching.eu.

1 hour ago, StefandD said:

The developer decided to stop on march 1 2019. Reason: it's too much efford to rebuild GAPP (and all the website functionality) to the new Groundspeak API. This might be the first sign of the shutdown but it also can be a temporary thing.

Meanwhile, a lot of users are willing to take over some/most/all of the services 4geocaching.eu provides. To be continued.

More info (in Dutch) can be found on the forum of 4geocaching.eu.

Thanks for the update.  I mainly use it just as an intermediary to get my finds into Excel.  Was able to import a My Finds gpx into GAPP, and then export to Excel from there.  Seems like that will work for a while despite the loss of the API.  Would be great to see it developed further, although I suppose it has to compete with GSAK.

Yeah - I tried the forum and saw it was all in Dutch, so figured I'd try here before relying on Google Translate to help me with that forum.

The developer announced GAPP will not be adapted to the new API.

GAPP kun je nog steeds blijven gebruiken. Echter, de Live API functie verdwijnt en er is geen ondersteuning/ontwikkeling meer op het gebied van GAPP.

Translation:

You can still continue to use GAPP. However, the Live API function disappears and there is no support / development in the area of GAPP.

• Upvote 1