Need Help with Retrieving/Placing Coin

Two Wise Ones

I'm a competent person but gave up quite some time ago with trackables. That being said... I found a geocoin that was cool and wanted a better look at it so I took it.

The cache that I took it from was Butch and Sundance in Utah (near Zion National Park). The coin's name is 'Azazel's geocaching day'. The actual number on the coin itself is illegible but I can tell it's a different number from what is listed on the Geocaching website: 'Use TB2G5TB to reference this item.' So when I go to 'found it/log it', I get an error message 'Sorry. The tracking number does not match for this trackable.' WHAT DO I DO?

I've already spent two hours trying to figure this out and about to just stick the coin in the next cache I find.

The TB number listed on the web site is the public ID for the coin - it only lets you view the coin, not log it. The tracking number engraved on the coin is the private ID, and is needed to log a retrieve or discovery.

If you're unable to make out the tracking number you could try contacting the coin owner through their profile. The owner has the tracking number available to them and so can help with deciphering it.

I've already spent two hours trying to figure this out and about to just stick the coin in the next cache I find.

Placing it into a cache is OK, but will confuse the next finder. You should mentioned the coin on the cache page, in the Found It log, and the coin's page, as a "Note" log. It appears that the coin owner is active, so you should contact them for Tracking Code help. When you get the Tracking Code, then you can log the "Retrieve", and then the drop, and all the mileage will be properly updated.

If you get a decent Tracking Code, and if the coin's in a coin flip (plastic coin holder), you might add a strip of paper with the code clearly written. First see if that would be OK with the Coin Owner.

The TB number listed on the web site is the public ID for the coin - it only lets you view the coin, not log it. The tracking number engraved on the coin is the private ID, and is needed to log a retrieve or discovery.

If you're unable to make out the tracking number you could try contacting the coin owner through their profile. The owner has the tracking number available to them and so can help with deciphering it.

Will do. Thank you for taking the time to read my post thoroughly and respond. It's appreciated.

Placing it into a cache is OK, but will confuse the next finder. You should mentioned the coin on the cache page, in the Found It log, and the coin's page, as a "Note" log. It appears that the coin owner is active, so you should contact them for Tracking Code help. When you get the Tracking Code, then you can log the "Retrieve", and then the drop, and all the mileage will be properly updated.

If you get a decent Tracking Code, and if the coin's in a coin flip (plastic coin holder), you might add a strip of paper with the code clearly written. First see if that would be OK with the Coin Owner.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post thoroughly and your fantastic response. I will contact the Coin Owner for the Tracking Code. As there isn't a Coin Holder, I will use a small plastic baggie and add the Tracking Code. I will add "Note" logs where you indicate.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP! IT'S GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I will contact the Coin Owner for the Tracking Code. As there isn't a Coin Holder, I will use a small plastic baggie and add the Tracking Code.

See if a plastic bag is OK with the coin owner. It's probably fine, considering the issue, but worth a check. I once released two Geocoins, one in a coin flip (with all kinds of info), and one just the coin itself, just to see what happens (maybe one or the other will stay in the game longer). If it ended up in a bag, that might change things.

Edited by kunarion

I don't know how badly the number on the coin has been damaged.... but one small trick is to use directed side-lighting. Sometimes it makes the illegible legible.

Sometimes I've had to resort to taking a close up picture (using macro mode) and then viewing the image on screen to decypher tracking numbers that can be too small to be useful to experienced eyes like mine.