C:geo app on android doesn't give the right coordinates

hellomikie92

The short answer, is go ask on their forums, that app isn't official, endorsed or supported here. I believe using it possibly also breaks the TOS of the site?

But...another possibility is that you are searching for something other than a traditional cache and the co-ordinates could just be a place-holder and you have to work out/discover the real co-ordinates by visiting other sites or solving a puzzle? Is it a multi-cache or unknown/mystery cache you are having trouble with? Or it could just be that the co-ordinates that the cache hider are off....or simply that you just aren't seeing the cache. How do you know for sure the co-ords are wrong?

The short answer, is go ask on their forums, that app isn't official, endorsed or supported here. I believe using it possibly also breaks the TOS of the site?

But...another possibility is that you are searching for something other than a traditional cache and the co-ordinates could just be a place-holder and you have to work out/discover the real co-ordinates by visiting other sites or solving a puzzle? Is it a multi-cache or unknown/mystery cache you are having trouble with? Or it could just be that the co-ordinates that the cache hider are off....or simply that you just aren't seeing the cache. How do you know for sure the co-ords are wrong?

What thats crazy I'm gonna get banned for creating this topic, and admitting it? I thought all geocaching apps was okay to use on here. No its all caches.

LOL, don't panic, I don't think anyone has been banned for using it, from what I understand it's a technicality to do with the way that app uses this site, plenty of people do use it, it's just not official. Sorry if I scared you :)

If it's inaccurate for all caches, I guess it could be the app, but most likely it sounds to me like it's your phone's GPS that's inaccurate. Have you tried other apps and had better results?

LOL, don't panic, I don't think anyone has been banned for using it, from what I understand it's a technicality to do with the way that app uses this site, plenty of people do use it, it's just not official. Sorry if I scared you :)

If it's inaccurate for all caches, I guess it could be the app, but most likely it sounds to me like it's your phone's GPS that's inaccurate. Have you tried other apps and had better results?

To be honest you did a little, and its okay lol. Oh okay, I think I get what you mean. I haven't thought about that, it could be my phone. Well a couple, but the C:geo app is the only app I used, that supposedly has gotten 5 stars. However, if it keeps dong this for the offical one, and others, I'm either gonnaq have to buy a new phone, or buy a GPS.

You don't necesarily need a new phone/GPS if it does turn out to be that. You could do what I did and buy a bluetooth GPS receiver for your phone to use instead of it's internal GPS, I've not had it long but so far it's awesome! I got lucky and paid £5, but they seem to be about £20 normally on a well-known auction site :)

But, try another app or two first, there are others with free trials/versions and see if the results are the same before splashing any cash :)

You don't necesarily need a new phone/GPS if it does turn out to be that. You could do what I did and buy a bluetooth GPS receiver for your phone to use instead of it's internal GPS, I've not had it long but so far it's awesome! I got lucky and paid £5, but they seem to be about £20 normally on a well-known auction site :)

But, try another app or two first, there are others with free trials/versions and see if the results are the same before splashing any cash :)

You got a good point there. Oh okay, i'll be sure to use other apps first. I haven't thought about a bluetooth GPS receiver. I wonder if it works without internet.

You got a good point there. Oh okay, i'll be sure to use other apps first. I haven't thought about a bluetooth GPS receiver. I wonder if it works without internet.

I guess it depends on the app you use. Personally I use Locus (there is a free version of this) and it can import PQ's to cache offline. The bluetooth gps receiver works just like your phone's internal GPS and doesn't need internet itself.

Phones in general are less accurate than regular GPS devices, but you should always make sure that if you use a phone that you have enabled your GPS and possibly your Wi-Fi as well to improve accuracy. Make sure that you get a fix on those satellites before searching as well. I've used several apps, but none of them helped under heavy tree cover. And the first answer was the best, ask for help on the forum of the app if you choose to keep using it.

Phones in general are less accurate than regular GPS devices, but you should always make sure that if you use a phone that you have enabled your GPS and possibly your Wi-Fi as well to improve accuracy. Make sure that you get a fix on those satellites before searching as well. I've used several apps, but none of them helped under heavy tree cover. And the first answer was the best, ask for help on the forum of the app if you choose to keep using it.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say this does not match up with my experience. I have used Motorola Droid phones for the past three years and have found them to be extremely accurate. I have never used wifi for caching. I use Cachemate. Excellent program.

I guess I can't dispute the "phones in general are less accurate" statement. I will say my Droids have been better than my Garmin GPS Map 76cs.

There seems to be.major differences between phones.

I cached with a woman with an I-phone who couldn't get within 20 feet and was often 50 feet off finding, and sometimes over 100 feet off in hiding caches.

Yet on the other hand, WRASTRO and other experienced cachers say they've gotten good results.

Phones have a few limitations including battery life, lack of being rain-proof, more destructable, and limitations when out of range of cell towers. And I've never heard of anyone hiding a cache with one who's gotten accurate coordinates, although they're certainly not all reporting to me. :)

Phones are a good way to find out if this is going to be a long-term hobby for you, and a good supplement to a GPS. I guess you can use them to call people too. ;)

And write in on the forums. I'm on my Android now. :)

I think GPS's remain the best for caching, although the accuracy between those seems to also vary greatly.

I hid my first few hides with my phone alone and never had a problem, there are steps you can take to increase the accuracy of your co-ordinates even if you are using a phone. Averaging, measuring on different days/times, etc. Actually, you should probably be doing that even with a 'proper' GPS handset ;)

My accuracy is now better than many GPS handsets as I now use a bluetooth GPS receiver as my new phone is worse than my old one for it's built-in GPS lol. Battery life is not a problem as the receiver has it's own battery and I have a spare battery for my phone. I've never had any problem with being out of range of cell towers and don't know what you're referring to here? I have a PQ on my phone as backup for when I'm out of data range. If I can't connect to download caches I load up the PQ and cache offline (and have offline maps too).

The only limitation I haven't overcome with my phone is durability. I believe there are phone cases that will waterproof, etc...but from what I've heard (I've not actually looked) they can cost as much as a GPS handset so are not worth buying.

One advantage of using a phone over a GPS handset that I benefited from yesterday was that during a meet new caches were published and I was able to download them in the field :)

In short, there's pros and cons for both, but both are valid methods of finding and hiding, you just have to learn your own equipment's limitations and use it effectively, be it phone or GPS handset. :)

I hid my first few hides with my phone alone and never had a problem, there are steps you can take to increase the accuracy of your co-ordinates even if you are using a phone. Averaging, measuring on different days/times, etc. Actually, you should probably be doing that even with a 'proper' GPS handset ;)

My accuracy is now better than many GPS handsets as I now use a bluetooth GPS receiver as my new phone is worse than my old one for it's built-in GPS lol. Battery life is not a problem as the receiver has it's own battery and I have a spare battery for my phone. I've never had any problem with being out of range of cell towers and don't know what you're referring to here? I have a PQ on my phone as backup for when I'm out of data range. If I can't connect to download caches I load up the PQ and cache offline (and have offline maps too).

The only limitation I haven't overcome with my phone is durability. I believe there are phone cases that will waterproof, etc...but from what I've heard (I've not actually looked) they can cost as much as a GPS handset so are not worth buying.

One advantage of using a phone over a GPS handset that I benefited from yesterday was that during a meet new caches were published and I was able to download them in the field :)

In short, there's pros and cons for both, but both are valid methods of finding and hiding, you just have to learn your own equipment's limitations and use it effectively, be it phone or GPS handset. :)

Yes I could see the spare battery being a huge asset. You found 37 caches in one day so your battery plan is working really well! My own experience I was referring to was my friends battery dying after 2 hours. She did not have the spare battery.

She also did not download caches but just received them "live". She could not do caching in the woods.

I've been on all day trips in the woods, and she was unable to use her phone. She bought a GPS. Seems that you've got it figured out though! :)