Garmin eTrex Vista - new in May 2003, now for sale!

quote:
Originally posted by HitsMan and Chris:

When you bid, it will tell you immediately if you didn't meet the reserve.

I added a "Buy it now" option.

Gee does it look like I just fell off the turnip truck or what??

I thought you was serious about selling this and saving someone a few dollars. But I guess not.

Your price:

Used Garmin Vista $249

Shipping $11

Total $260

Amazon (new Vista) $254

Free Shipping

Total $254

Includes full waranty

I really don't like smart@sses, I was serious about this but wasn't expecting you to be so condescending.

I'm not being condescending. I just set a price I was comfortable with (which is significantly below what I paid when I bought it 4 months ago). You don't have to buy it, if it's out of your range, or you find better options elsewhere. I'm expecting the final auction price (based on bidding) to be less, and the reserve is significantly less than the Buy It Now price. You would know that if you bid on the item.

If no one thinks my reserve price is reasonable, I'm the only one who loses by wasting eBay fees.

I'm not sure why you are so angry. If you're not interested, just don't bid. No need to have an argument about it.

quote:

I'm not being condescending. I just set a price I was comfortable with (which is significantly below what I paid when I bought it 4 months ago). You don't have to buy it, if it's out of your range, or you find better options elsewhere. I'm expecting the final auction price (based on bidding) to be less, and the reserve is significantly less than the Buy It Now price. You would know that if you bid on the item.

If no one thinks my reserve price is reasonable, I'm the only one who loses by wasting eBay fees.

I'm not sure why you are so angry. If you're not interested, just don't bid. No need to have an argument about it.

noone is angry... trust me, we have more of a life than that icon_wink.gif The problem is, you are never going to sell the GPS if the price of your used GPS is the same as a brand spankin new one.

fact of economics

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin V

Garmin III+

quote:

I'm not being condescending. I just set a price I was comfortable with (which is significantly below what I paid when I bought it 4 months ago).

'If you expect to get anything near the price you paid for it 6 months ago then you are really a fool, the price for new has dropped 30% or more in that time period.'

You don't have to buy it, if it's out of your range, or you find better options elsewhere.

'Sounds like a good idea to me'

I'm expecting the final auction price (based on bidding) to be less, and the reserve is significantly less than the Buy It Now price. You would know that if you bid on the item.

'by bidding on an item you can't find out the reserve price'

I'm not sure why you are so angry.

' I am not angry, I am realistic, I asked a simple question and you came back with an attitude. Are you ashamed of the price you are asking? If anyone ever asks me what my reserve is I just tell them. No wonder you have 2 negative feedback, you are too hard to get along with.'

If you're not interested, just don't bid. No need to have an argument about it.

'I never bid until the last few hours in any case, and any auction over 3 days is just a waste of time for the seller, and if you was an experienced Ebayer you would know that.

quote:
Originally posted by rayt333:

'If you expect to get anything near the price you paid for it 6 months ago then you are really a fool, the price for new has dropped 30% or more in that time period.'

The reserve is more than $100 below what I paid for the unit 4 months ago.

quote:
'by bidding on an item you can't find out the reserve price'

If you make a bid for the amount you're willing to pay, and it's below reserve, you find out that my reserve is too high, and you walk away from the auction.

quote:
I am not angry, I am realistic, I asked a simple question and you came back with an attitude.

I did not. You asked if I considered "Buy it now." As a result of your question, I updated the auction to provide that option. I set the price based on looking at other auctions and coming up with a number I felt comfortable with to end the auction early. After hearing the price you mentioned on Amazon, I also lowered the reserve. Not sure how that is considered smartass attitude.

quote:
Are you ashamed of the price you are asking? If anyone ever asks me what my reserve is I just tell them.

From eBay's FAQ on reserve prices.

quote:
As a buyer, you are not shown the reserve price, only whether or not the reserve has been met.

When you're bidding in a Reserve Price Auction, bid as usual, entering the maximum amount you're willing to pay for the item. Watch the label next to the current price to see whether the reserve price has been met. Until you see that the reserve price has been met, there have been no successful bids in the auction. Once the reserve has been met, the item will sell to the highest bidder when the auction closes.

Why do you think eBay has implemented the reserve price system this way? Why don't they publish reserve prices if it's obvious that sellers should share them with buyers?

quote:
No wonder you have 2 negative feedback, you are too hard to get along with.'

If you read my detailed feedback, you'll see that my 1 negative feedback as a seller was from a bad buyer over 2 years ago. I was selling some concert tickets. We agreed prior to the show to meet at the box office 20 minutes before the show. I was early and I waited there with a friend for almost an hour. The music for the concert started playing, and I still waited for the buyer in the agreed place (even though I want to see the show myself). I went above and beyond what I committed to by waiting an extra 30 minutes for the seller to show up in the agreed upon place, missing part of the concert. Finally, the buyer shows up blaming bnd traffic for her lateness. Then she slaps me with negative feedback. Check out that person's profile and you'll see more of the same.

quote:
'I never bid until the last few hours in any case, and any auction over 3 days is just a waste of time for the seller, and if you was an experienced Ebayer you would know that.

Speaking of condescension...

quote:
Originally posted by Rubberhead:

HitsMan and Chris,

Ignore them buddy. These guys don't even seem to understand capitalism. You’ve got every right to seek the absolute highest selling price.

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

I think the problem is you don't seem to understand "capitalism" You can "want" twice what you paid for an item, but we sure don't have to pay that for it. Haven't you heard? it is a buyers market, and most buyers like to save as much money as they can.

This whole thread is a waste, there is too many other GPS's for sale to bother with a PIA.

No more time for this banter, I am off to do a search for a deal on a GPS.

You're absolutely right that he has a right to sell it for the highest price someone is willing to pay. That's fine! For ME it's not "right" but for someone else it may be.

That's the good thing about ebay, chances are there's someone out there who's willing to pay whatever someone is asking. Just because it isn't right for me doesn't mean it's not right for someone else.

Good luck with the auction. icon_smile.gif

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.

I bid on this item on eBay at a price I would be happy to pay. If I get the item I am pleased, If I don't then I will watch for another item that catches my attention...either way I get to see what the fair market value for this particular model should be and it is a learning experience for me and the seller. I am never concerned what the reserve price is, I know what I am willing to pay and the seller knows what he is willing to take...sometimes we get together and make a deal and sometimes we don't...but ain't it fun?!

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

I just did some research on USED eTrex Vista auctions that have completed on eBay since August 10.

Here's the list:

8/19 GARMIN eTREX VISTA PERSONAL NAVIGATOR GPS $243.00

8/17 LIke New Garmin eTrex Vista GPS Receiver! $225.00

8/17 Garmin eTrex Vista $250.49

8/17 Etrex Vista used once $230.01

8/15 Garmin Etrex Vista Handheld GPS $256.03

8/15 Etrex Vista # # # Used Once # # # $225.00

8/14 Garmin eTrex Vista GPS unit $247.50

8/12 Garmin eTrex Vista GPS No Reserve $232.50

8/10 Garmin eTrex Vista GPS receiver $251.50

The average final price of those 9 auctions was $240.11. The reserve price on my auction is lower than the closing price on any of these previous auctions. Bid away (if you like)!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3042199517&category=34289

quote:

I just did some research on USED eTrex Vista auctions that have completed on eBay since August 10.

Here's the list:

8/19 GARMIN eTREX VISTA PERSONAL NAVIGATOR GPS $243.00

8/17 LIke New Garmin eTrex Vista GPS Receiver! $225.00

8/17 Garmin eTrex Vista $250.49

8/17 Etrex Vista used once $230.01

8/15 Garmin Etrex Vista Handheld GPS $256.03

8/15 Etrex Vista # # # Used Once # # # $225.00

8/14 Garmin eTrex Vista GPS unit $247.50

8/12 Garmin eTrex Vista GPS No Reserve $232.50

8/10 Garmin eTrex Vista GPS receiver $251.50

The average final price of those 9 auctions was $240.11. The reserve price on my auction is lower than the closing price on any of these previous auctions. Bid away (if you like)!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3042199517&category=34289

What a crock!! I did a search and I only found a few used ones and they ranged in price from $175 to $230, and new ones selling from $238 and up.

And almost all of these do not include shipping, so that will add another $5 to $15 depending on the seller.

I would be willing to go the $175 but that would be about all for a used one.

I guess my point is your price is unrealistic.

Maybe there is a sucker out there willing to pay you more then it is worth, but not me or any other smart buyer. Only a sucker will pay prices for used when you can get new for same or maybe even less considering free shipping for the new ones.

Dudes, chill. If I offered you $5000 for your GPS, would you sell it to me? Of course you would.

Who the heck cares what his reserve price it. I find cheap stuff all the time and sell it at a higher price. In fact, on ebay I look for mis-spelled listings and buy them for pennies on the retail dollar. Then resell them with the right title to make $$.

Anyway, to sabatage someones auction on purpose for no reason at all is just pure evil. I hope no one is ever evil to you.

quote:

I guess my point is your price is unrealistic.

You made your opinion clear 7 posts ago. For someone who is not interested in this auction, you sure spend a lot of time focused on badmouthing it. If you really weren't interested, you would put your money where your mouth is ("This whole thread is a waste" and "No more time for this banter") and just move on to another thread. By continuing to post here, you're doing nothing but showing everyone you have nothing better to do with your time.

quote:
Originally posted by mrkablooey:

Let's let it go, rayt333. If you don't want it, don't bid. Someone will buy it whether you do or not. icon_smile.gif

~robert

_Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache._

I am not bidding on it, but everytime a post is made here I get an email, I have turned the noticications off but they still come in. And when he post garbage (or outright lies) then I feel the need to set the record straight. I started out with a real intrest in this but somewhere along the way I lost all intrest in buying from this user, but since he directs posts at me then I respond. I don't keep coming here just for spite, only because I get the notifications and feel the need to tell the truth.

quote:

I get the notifications and feel the need to tell the truth.

You analysis of Vista pricing is very well thought out, however the truth is that the Vista is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubberhead:

You analysis of Vista pricing is very well thought out, however the truth is that the Vista is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

There you have it, seller meet sucker, err I mean Rubberhead. It is all yours then, I prefer to buy smart and not become another sucker.

PS: Wanna buy a bridge?

Cheap?

;&gticon_wink.gif