Geocoins on Instagram

Fiery Searcher

Hello, geocoiners!

I had a strange "discovery" on one of my geocoins a while back: TB3ZCP1

The geocacher who discovered the coin said they saw it on Instagram. I don't have an account with Instagram, although I do like the photo effects on my friends' pictures who use it. Very creative! At any rate, I had time on my hands this morning (read: I was looking for some nearby caches to find) and decided to surf Instagram to see if I could find my geocoin.

I found it: Instagram pic of my geocoin

Now, you can't see the tracking code on the coin itself, but I always include additional paper with my geocoins that list the tracking code written BIG and BOLD, so anyone can read it. On the instagram photo, you can see most of the tracking code, or get pretty darn close to it.

A couple of questions:

1) Has this happened to anyone else's traveling coins? (If yes, how did you feel about it?)

2) Why would the finder of a geocoin post a photo of the coin on another website but NOT post one on www.geocaching.com ? The mission of my coin is vague enough to allow for fun, but I do ask that geocachers post pictures of the coin if they can. What gives?!

This isn't a rant, I promise. Just a question to the group of people most likely to have traveling coins, and maybe a heads-up as another way discoveries might occur without someone actually seeing/holding the coin.

Thanks for reading, and happy caching everyone!

My feeling is that the number of virtual logs from the huge number of pics that find their way online, especially now with the smartphone photo embellishment Instagram provides, is minimal. Most of the virtual logs I catch are from typos or random generators. If I find an unedited geocoin pic online with a nekid tracking number I will try to contact the photo's owner and request that they paint over the number but aside from that the only control we have as coin owners is to delete the offending logs.