Your experiences with Geocoins / trackables?

FoosFam

Perhaps it is because we are still new at this, but it seems that the caches we have seen listed as having trackables in their inventory do not have any in them when we find them. With briefly browsing through the first couple hundred or so in the area there are hardly any listed. Are these just hard to come by? Or do they vanish from people stealing them? What is your experience with trackables? I would like to get started in that (buying and putting them out) but I don't want them to be wasted. I know the children would be really disappointed if they did vanish and they don't get to see how far they would go.

People steal them not knowing what they are, people take them not knowing how to log them, people take them and lose them so they log it as they dropped it in a cache. People will forget they have them. Occasionally people will get to them after you look at the page but not log the TB's out until after, so it is just a delay between the visit and logging. A coin is more likely to go missing than a TB, but when you release them don't expect them to be out there for ever. If you release them with the expectation that they will eventually go missing then you won't be disappointed. There are good reasons for them to go missing as well, destroyed by fire or flood, or muggled for example.

click Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic(linky) While it is for TB's there is some info that will apply to coins as well

People steal them not knowing what they are, people take them not knowing how to log them, people take them and lose them so they log it as they dropped it in a cache. People will forget they have them. Occasionally people will get to them after you look at the page but not log the TB's out until after, so it is just a delay between the visit and logging. A coin is more likely to go missing than a TB, but when you release them don't expect them to be out there for ever. If you release them with the expectation that they will eventually go missing then you won't be disappointed. There are good reasons for them to go missing as well, destroyed by fire or flood, or muggled for example.

click Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic(linky) While it is for TB's there is some info that will apply to coins as well

Thanks for the link. Reading through that was rather disheartening though. Seemed there was not much positive input about using trackables and enjoying it. What a shame.

We have quite a lot of trackables out there in the wide, wide world and we've had fun watching them over the years.

If you're going to release them for travel you just have to accept that each one is a gamble. Once you've dropped it off, wave goodbye and hope that it has a long life. Remember, if it disappears it may reappear. If it disappears for more than a year then you can release a duplicate (be prepared to recall the duplicate if the original resurfaces).

I'm always a bit concerned when people say things like, "I know the children would be really disappointed if they did vanish..." because, yes, watching trackables travel is good fun but often children don't fully appreciate the dangers that those bugs face in the wild. Some adult cachers get very wound up when their trackables get held for too long, or 'disappear' from a cache, and it can be even harder for young children to understand how such things happen. If you're thinking of releasing TBs for children to have a race, or simple to follow their journeys and learn a bit of geography, I'd strongly suggest you have a few new ones in a drawer somewhere, all ready for release when the originals go MIA.

Good luck if you decide to commit!

MrsB :)

I really like geocoins. I've released 17 so far (mostly released in 2009, when I was in a geocoin-of-the-month club). Out of those, two are still moving (in Europe) and one has sat in a remote cache for almost two years (and I'm fine with that). The others are all missing.

I get a lot of enjoyment from the logs on the two coins that are still moving in Europe - places I'll never actually see myself. Enough enjoyment that I think the $ I've blown on geocoins has been worth it.

I did nothing more than stick the coins in the plastic bag in which they came, along with a piece of paper saying "Don't keep me - I'm a Geocoin" etc., etc. I suspect mine would have fared better had I followed Snoogans' advice to drill a big honkin hole in the top and attach a laminated card that won't come off.

I've been disappointed when a coin has disappeared out of the first cache I dropped it into. But enough of my coins have moved enough times that overall it's been a good experience. However, it would have been a different story had I only released one or two coins and had they both disappeared right off the bat. My advice is to release as many as you can afford, have low expectations, and the logs you do get will be a pleasant surprise.

Money is tighter for me now than it was in 09 so I haven't blown $ on coins for a while. I might try some TBs next and see how they fare. But I have to say, the coins are my fave! :)

a few months ago i had a "chiro-cache" geocoin i had released in memory of my dog Logan (who is on the coin,) show up after missing about a year or so...seems someone found it at a garage sale and re-released it...they do return from the dead ocasionally!

ILYK

We have purchased and released 3 travel bugs. We have enjoyed watching the travel for the past few months. It is fun to follow them on a map, or look at their location on Google Earth. I think my 11 year old would be disappointed if hers went missing, but I have warned her that it does happen. So far a great experience for our family. I intend to purchase so trackables for my girls for Christmas. I think they will be fun little stocking stuffers!

I get a lot of enjoyment from the logs on the two coins that are still moving in Europe - places I'll never actually see myself. Enough enjoyment that I think the $ I've blown on geocoins has been worth it.

Exactly. It is a neat concept and surely worth the money when you are able to enjoy it.

a few months ago i had a "chiro-cache" geocoin i had released in memory of my dog Logan (who is on the coin,) show up after missing about a year or so...seems someone found it at a garage sale and re-released it...they do return from the dead ocasionally!

ILYK

That is wonderful! So glad it reappeared for you.

We have purchased and released 3 travel bugs. We have enjoyed watching the travel for the past few months. It is fun to follow them on a map, or look at their location on Google Earth. I think my 11 year old would be disappointed if hers went missing, but I have warned her that it does happen. So far a great experience for our family. I intend to purchase so trackables for my girls for Christmas. I think they will be fun little stocking stuffers!

Stocking stuffers... cute idea!

We actually found our first trackable yesterday! We were so excited. It's a dog tag travel bug and will be dropped soon. Thanks for all the replies. I think I may buy and collect the coins and then buy and release the bugs. The coins seem much nicer. Anything we plan to release I will be sure to buy in duplicate.

Thanks for the link. Reading through that was rather disheartening though. Seemed there was not much positive input about using trackables and enjoying it. What a shame.

We've been very disappointed with the trackables as well. 95% of the time that a trackable is listed, it is not in the cache. I don't see the point in trying to find trackables if they're just going to get lost or not logged. If people are not willing to log the trackables, they should not be taken from the cache! This has definitely deterred us from buying and placing trackables and geocoins.

If you go into it knowing a Bug might get lost, you'll be fine. If you expect that it'll all work out perfectly I'd say maybe don't do it. I have released 6 and it's been fun, but yes, now some are lost. A couple reappeared after 2 years!! I like the idea of releasing several so your odds are you'll have something moving. Some people release copies (photocopy??) of the coin because those can be kinda expensive if they "get lost" and I have to say I haven't seen a coin in a long time. This reminds me, I should release a couple more bugs!

We love releasing trackables but have definitely learned to pick something "ugly" that no one would be interested in keeping.

We had one coin travel around Europe and the US and return to a cache less than two hours away, so we actually got it back and put it in a display case. That was really exciting.

We had one get lost when the area flooded two years ago. I'm hopeful that one will show up again in the future.

Our biggest issue is with one particular cacher who got ahold of one of our coins over two years ago. Our coin "visited" a few caches with him after that and then all activity stopped. We've had email contact with him where he admits to having our coin, but he refuses to drop it. He falsely promised to snail mail it back to us but after I supplied my address, he fell off the face of the earth again.... yet all the while, he continues to log caches that he finds. This is actually what brought me to the forums today. I'm wondering if there is any kind of governing body that can help me reach out this .... jerk. Or if anyone has any ideas of what we can do. We just want our coin back. Or confirmed to be back in circulation.

We've been very disappointed with the trackables as well. 95% of the time that a trackable is listed, it is not in the cache. I don't see the point in trying to find trackables if they're just going to get lost or not logged. If people are not willing to log the trackables, they should not be taken from the cache! This has definitely deterred us from buying and placing trackables and geocoins.

I have seen that probably 9 out of 10 times the trackables listed are not in the caches. Most of the time you can go to the trackable logs and see that other people have noted it is not there, or see that it hasn't had a post in quite a while which tells you it probably isn't there. It is still annoying though that things aren't kept up with. I have sent messages to some of the trackable owners letting them know that it is missing and needs to be updated, but no luck on fixes yet.

If you go into it knowing a Bug might get lost, you'll be fine. If you expect that it'll all work out perfectly I'd say maybe don't do it. I have released 6 and it's been fun, but yes, now some are lost. A couple reappeared after 2 years!! I like the idea of releasing several so your odds are you'll have something moving. Some people release copies (photocopy??) of the coin because those can be kinda expensive if they "get lost" and I have to say I haven't seen a coin in a long time. This reminds me, I should release a couple more bugs!

I have seen two of those "copies" so far. Good idea to help avoid disappearance but not quite as interesting to find. I do understand why they do it though.

We love releasing trackables but have definitely learned to pick something "ugly" that no one would be interested in keeping.

We had one coin travel around Europe and the US and return to a cache less than two hours away, so we actually got it back and put it in a display case. That was really exciting.

We had one get lost when the area flooded two years ago. I'm hopeful that one will show up again in the future.

Our biggest issue is with one particular cacher who got ahold of one of our coins over two years ago. Our coin "visited" a few caches with him after that and then all activity stopped. We've had email contact with him where he admits to having our coin, but he refuses to drop it. He falsely promised to snail mail it back to us but after I supplied my address, he fell off the face of the earth again.... yet all the while, he continues to log caches that he finds. This is actually what brought me to the forums today. I'm wondering if there is any kind of governing body that can help me reach out this .... jerk. Or if anyone has any ideas of what we can do. We just want our coin back. Or confirmed to be back in circulation.

Wish I knew anything to help you but I don't. That is ridiculous!

Wish I knew anything to help you but I don't. That is ridiculous!

Nothing that GS can/will get involved in afaik. One thing you could try would be to 'grab' the coin back from him. You have the coin's ID tracking # in your coin's ID page, which you will need in order to 'grab' it. If the culprit re-grabs it, then you can figure it's pretty much a lost cause. Even though you don't actually have the coin in your possession it will take it out of his inventory where he can no longer log it's travels. You'll get notice if he grabs it back.

Another option... and this is a bit more permanent in regards to the coin holder. Grab it back from him. That will put it in your inventory. Immediately go to the trackable page and 'edit' the coin, selecting 'make it collectable'. That will put it in your collectable inventory and he cannot grab it back. The only thing he can do with it from that point is 'write a note' or 'discover' it. He can no longer control it. Bad part, is if gets tired of the game he's playing he cannot then place it into a cache. All he could do would be to leave you a note about where he left it (unlikely to happen imo). Someday (hopefully) you might get a serious cacher who finds your coin and leaves a note or e-mail to you that they found it somewhere. Then you could start a dialogue with them and put it back into circulation. Meanwhile, it's not available for anyone to do anything with it ... but you.

It takes a while to understand the whole ins and outs of trackables. I do the forums, but my partner has well over 300 trackables, about half are coins. Of that, 150 are in her 'collectables' (in her possession) available only to be discovered at events etc by other cachers. Of that, 50 are travelling via proxy coins from GXProxy and the coins are never in harm's way. The other 150 travelling are a combination of coins and travel tags, both the GS travel dog tags and the common $5 type small travel tags, most with a small chain.

Edited by nevadanick

There are a lot of success and failure stories. Some trackables disappear on the first placement. Others disappear after travelling for years and thousands of miles. Some get lucky and never disappear.

One recent success story is about a Chinese anniversary/good luck coin. A couple (from here in the forum) released it over a year ago. It travelled to China, and back, and all around. We met the coin owners at the Denver Geocoinfest earlier this month. They mentioned that their coin had returned to a cache that was only a few miles from where we live. We retrieved the coin for them when we returned home, mailed it to them, and as I recall they now have their coin back after travelling some 41,000+ miles.

For those concerned about the cost of putting coins into circulation, consider using the cheaper travel tags. Almost every coin manufacturer carries them for about $5, including the Groundspeak Shop. Or use the travel dog tags (also $5) and attach it to something meaningful to you and send it off to travel, preferably in a plastic baggie with a mission card or travel instructions. Many cachers are not internet connected when locating a cache in the woods (or actually most anywhere) and have no idea what your traveller's mission/destination is. Put a card or sheet with it so cachers know right away.

There is a continuing increase in the number of proxy tags being used instead of sending off the original coin. This protects the coin itself but allows you to share it with others through caches. Check these 2 coins for an example of how proxy coins can be used and identified > TB4P545 and another released at Geocoinfest in Denver > TB4H3HA . The Waldgeist coins currently being discussed in this forum all come with a proxy coin. Good thing about these is that the company doing these can and will re-do proxy coins as many times as necessary to keep your trackables moving (for a miniscule fee).

Makes releasing trackables far more appealing and less costly. We have had 6 of Bukibear's traveller's go MIA and all have successfully been replaced and are back in circulation.

Questions ?? Feel free to ask.

The longevity link is a little overkill imo. Sure, you can drill a honkin' hole, but that ruins the coin ... or makes it easier for the coin thief to put it on THEIR chain for a necklace :anitongue:

Yes, nature takes her toll too. We lost one trackable in a cache that used to in the middle of a recent tornado path. A local cacher checked it out for us. I've seen several notes about the ones lost during the Tsunami in Japan. We recently sent a note to a caching bud that one of their caches was being bulldozed that day for highway improvements, it was nowhere to found in the rubble.

If you write to a cache owner to check on a bug status, check their MEMBER PROFILE first to see if they are still active cachers. (many are not)

If you're convinced your bug/coin is no longer in a cache, go to 'edit' and mark you trackable as 'missing'. That will remove it from the cache and no one will expect to find it there. At some point if another cacher finds it, they may report it's current location via a log note.

If your cache is 'stuck' somewhere, there is a TB Rescue site where 'members' of the site will go out and search for your trackable and report it's status. It's a free site, both to register and to use.

Keep in mind ... GC.com is a free site with a godzillion 'free' members, and a quantity of 'premium' members willing to pay. 'Free' members are... after all... on a 'treasure hunt. ... :ph34r: