magellanGC

tjpratt

There are a few things you could be doing wrong. Check youtube videos as well...

You can find caches from the map screen as well with the right screens up. You need a distance to cache field and perhaps a direction arrow.

Also look for 1/1 caches that are regular size (if possible).

Good luck!

Shaun

Can't explain it ourselves (we don't have a GC)....

If you haven't done so yet, you should download the manual. Easy and free. Page 12 describes compass access.

http://support.magellangps.com/support/assets/manuals/Magellan_eXploristGC_UserHandbook.pdf

I have tried that page and I get a blank window. Tried on 2 browsers. I am on a MAC maybe thats why??

I e-mailed them, we will see thanks for taking the time

Very easy, just go to the 'Dashboard' selection, but just remember, with the GC it is GPS based compass and NOT an electronic compass.....meaning that when you stop it will spin in place most of the time; move a few feet and it will "re-calibrate" in the proper orientation.

You can select how many 'data' fields to display but with more fields the smaller the compass is going to be on screen.

Also, while at the dashboard you can click on the menu button and select compass and it will go full screen.

Hope this helps!

Are you sure that you have acrobat reader installed? You won't get anything if it's not installed on your system. Also, you connection speed sometimes will make it seem like nothing's going on but in fact the rate is slow. If you're using high speed (ex. DSL or Cable) and you're getting nothing I'd check to make sure Adobe reader is installed....if it is...are .PDF's associated with it? Just a few things to consider. Sorry if you've already done so or if it sound simpleton to you and something you've already tried. The link works fine for me.

If you haven't done so yet, you should download the manual. Easy and free. Page 12 describes compass access.

http://support.magel...serHandbook.pdf

I have tried that page and I get a blank window. Tried on 2 browsers. I am on a MAC maybe thats why??

Are you sure that you have acrobat reader installed? You won't get anything if it's not installed on your system. Also, you connection speed sometimes will make it seem like nothing's going on but in fact the rate is slow. If you're using high speed (ex. DSL or Cable) and you're getting nothing I'd check to make sure Adobe reader is installed....if it is...are .PDF's associated with it? Just a few things to consider. Sorry if you've already done so or if it sound simpleton to you and something you've already tried. The link works fine for me.

http://support.magel...serHandbook.pdf

I've written a review of the GC specifically for geocaching and it shows you how the compass works, how to use it and also the map. It may help understanding how the compass works. As said earlier it isn't a magnetic compass.

I found the GC to be a really neat GPS and it has some brilliant features not found on more expensive models. For example, if you have a cache page description open you can view the cache waypoints and also navigate directly to them. Nice!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

Edited by Graculus