Caching on Dartmoor

mollyjak

The GAGB received this email and I wondered if anyone would like to get involved.

Please let me know if you are interested and respond directly to her :D

Thank you

Lilian

Hi Everyone

We are working on a project called Active Dartmoor 2013 on behalf of the Dartmoor Partnership, which will be a campaign starting in November and encompassing a week of events and experiences running from 4th May – 11th May next year. Our vision is to make it an amazing showcase of all the interesting, fun and diverse activities and experiences available on and around Dartmoor.

At this early stage we need to forge introductions with event organizers and resource providers from a range of backgrounds for a creative, brainstorming workshop at Brimpts Farm www.brimptsfarm.co.uk (directions on website) on Thursday 11th October at 18:00.

Our primary objective is to design five magnificent ‘Dartmoor Specific’ events complimented with a range of Dartmoor experiences which will form the backbone of Active Dartmoor Week. As the project gains momentum, we plan to build a portfolio of smaller events and activities to provide an overview of the diverse range of experiences to be enjoyed on Dartmoor. Ultimately we want all our activity and experience providers to benefit from fantastic exposure whilst simultaneously boosting their revenue making opportunities for the duration of the campaign, and into the future.

The Dartmoor Partnership will market the events externally, generating spectators and participants to the event providers, who will either micro-manage their own events or collaborate with other like minded or complimentary activity providers to share resources.

Please come along – we would really welcome your input and help in moving this forward and it’s a great opportunity for us all to work together to boost the local economy. Please feel free to forward this email if you feel it’s appropriate but please ensure you and your guests RSVP by mid-day Wednesday 10th October to this email address.

Huge thanks,

Tammy Molesworth

On behalf of Dartmoor Partnership sub group.

Tel: +44 (0) 1566 780465

Mob: +44 (0) 7740 200182

Email: tammy@ginpennant.com

I will be attending this meeting at Brimpts Farm later today. Obviously my main interest is as an accommodation provider and I'm not even sure that geocaching will get a mention. However, it will be a very good opportunity to meet some land owners (as I think many of the activities will be on private rather than common land) and that may prove very helpful for geocaching.

I will report back after the meeting.

I will be attending this meeting at Brimpts Farm later today. Obviously my main interest is as an accommodation provider and I'm not even sure that geocaching will get a mention. However, it will be a very good opportunity to meet some land owners (as I think many of the activities will be on private rather than common land) and that may prove very helpful for geocaching.

I will report back after the meeting.

Thank you

A good meeting tonight with lots of very useful ideas for activities to be included in the Active Dartmoor week. I brought up geocaching as a possible activity and it received good support and might be included as one of the family activities. I'm not certain how this fits in with the Groundspeak policy which normally does not allow geocaching to be used in support of a commercial venture, which clearly Active Dartmoor is. Although there would be no charge for taking part it would be part of the broader goal of promoting Dartmoor as a holiday destination. However, one of the main aims would be to introduce new members to geocaching, and if these activities were run in conjunction with Groundspeak, then the spin off would be that Groundspeak would also benefit by getting new members. Another alternative would be to place geocaches according to the normal rules, but not to publish them until after the end of the week, when the commercial aspect of the geocaches had gone. That way they would then become available to all geocaching.com members to find. However, if somebody has just got enthusiastic about geocaching and found their first caches, they would be very keen to log on to geocaching.com to log their finds!

I would be very interested to hear from anybody who might know of Groundspeak's view of this sort of venture. No doubt the Dartmoor Partnership, who are organising the week, would be looking for some sort of sponsorship from whoever they became involved with.

I realise my perspective is different to yours, as the owner of a B&B. One of the things I love about Dartmoor is that I can disappear onto the moor and, despite a vista spreading for miles all around me, not see another soul for the entire day :) . I'd really hate if it became like Richmond Park on a sunny Sunday afternoon :) .

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

I realise my perspective is different to yours, as the owner of a B&B. One of the things I love about Dartmoor is that I can disappear onto the moor and, despite a vista spreading for miles all around me, not see another soul for the entire day :) . I'd really hate if it became like Richmond Park on a sunny Sunday afternoon :) .

Rgds, Andy

Don't worry Andy, whatever happens with Active Dartmoor week, I don't think that will ever change. 95% of the people who stay with us (right in the middle of the high moor) don't venture more than 1 mile from the road! Most visitors seem to have a fear of the moor that goes beyond what is reasonable. Which is good, because it keeps it free for the likes of you and me. It's amazing how many days I've walked 10 or 12 miles and not seen a single other person. It's probably the last place in England & Wales that you can still do that.

Dave

It's probably the last place in England & Wales that you can still do that.

Dave

Not so sure about that. I walked 13 miles across the Black Mountain a while back and I never saw another soul either... until I got back to where I'd parked the car. :)

Ah, but I can walk 13 miles from my back door without even getting into a car!