New Category - Ski Jumping Towers

I have created a new group and want to discuss and create interest in this group.

I didn't found ski jump towers category, so I thought is it a bad idea to do this kind of category?

Category could include all kinds of ski jumping towers.

World has a lots of great looking ski jump towers that should be waymark :rolleyes:

- Jabozozo

Edited by Jabozozo

I have created a new group and want to discuss and create interest in this group.

I didn't found ski jump towers category, so I thought is it a bad idea to do this kind of category?

Category could include all kinds of ski jumping towers.

World has a lots of great looking ski jump towers that should be waymark :rolleyes:

- Jabozozo

Tell us why ski jump towers should be a category. For those who have never seen a ski jump tower, can you tell us about them, and maybe show a photo?

Sounds interesting!

I believe that it should be mandatory for the waymarker to make a jump. Only in this way can he, or she, fully understand and present the total experience. Possibly Groundspeak could extend accident insurance for this?

I agree with you, but it won't fly. :rolleyes:

Just like all those Waymarking photo goals where waymarkers take a pic of someone ELSE completing the goal, instead of doing it themselves, people who create/visit the ski jumps waymarks will not always follow the specified instructions.

So we have a category description, what do you think?

Description:

We are looking for 'Ski Jumps' around the world. Whether they are large or small, active or abandoned.

Expanded Description:

Ski jumping is a sport in which skiers go down a take-off ramp, jump and attempt to land as far as possible down the hill below. Ski jumping is predominantly a winter sport, performed on snow, and is part of the Winter Olympic Games, but can also be performed in summer on artificial surfaces on the landing hill.

If you want to post a waymark so you have to find a ski jump. This could be an Olympic ski jump or a training tower.

We are looking for ski jumps that are still active or ski jumps that are not in use anymore. They can also be abandoned for a long time.

These towers can be constructed of wood, cement, steel or any other material.

Instructions for Posting a Ski Jumps Waymark:

For posting a "ski jump" waymark please include the GPS coordinates of the site or the best view of the ski jumping hill and at least TWO clear pictures. If it's possible please add some information about the ski jump (f.e. history, sport-events, general information).

A waymark should be named like this:

Name of the ski jump or the structure - City/State or Country

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

Please take a picture of you at the site and/or a nice picture of the ski jump. Maybe at the foot or at the top of the ski jumping hill.

You have to include at least the following information:

Is it active? How high is the tower of the ski jump? What's the K-Point (critical point) and the Hillsize-point (HS) of the tower? Do you know the date when the ski jump is built, then please add it.

Variables:

•Active

•Height of the ski jump (feet)

•K-point (critical point)

•Hillsize-point

•Date constructed

•Public access

•Website

Edited by Tharandter

You have to include at least the following information:

Is it active? How high is the tower of the ski jump? What's the K-Point (critical point) and the Hillsize-point (HS) of the tower? Do you know the date when the ski jump is built, then please add it.

Variables:

•Active

•Height of the ski jump (feet)

•K-point (critical point)

•Hillsize-point

•Date constructed

•Public access

•Website

The above text should be part of the posting requirements, not the visiting requirements.

I'm wondering about reading such comments like

"This category is redundant with the Winter Sports category. Enough said. "

Ski Jumps are definitely ´not redundant with the 'Winter Sports Locations' category!!!

'Winter Sport Locations' is looking for ski resorts and slopes, not for a ski jump. And a ski jump is not in there!

Ski jumping is not just a winter sport!!!

How many Ski Jumps exist? I don't know, but we have categories with things, that are much rarer than a ski jump.

Edited by Tharandter

I'm wondering about reading such comments like

"This category is redundant with the Winter Sports category. Enough said. "

Ski Jumps are definitely ´not redundant with the 'Winter Sports Locations' category!!!

'Winter Sport Locations' is looking for ski resorts and slopes, not for a ski jump. And a ski jump is not in there!

Ski jumping is not just a winter sport!!!

How many Ski Jumps exist? I don't know, but we have categories with things, that are much rarer than a ski jump.

For anyone familiar with this sport it is obvious that is not redundant with Winter Sports Locations. Maybe we have to explain why.

Winter Sports Locations are recreational areas for the general public. Not every track may be suitable for any potential participant but you can try.

Ski jumping is not an amateur sport; it can only be done on a semi-professional level. Without several months of full time training you have not the slightest chance to survive your first jump without serious injuries.

The only existing category where it could make a little sense to include these structures would be Professional Sports Venues, except for the fact that there are very little jumpers that are real, official professionals; most of them depend on sponsorship to make a living, but have no time for another job.