Magellan Explorist GC help

loopyhoop

Hi guys, after having a cool 100 new caches go live at my most favourite walking place yesterday. I dusted down my Magellan and loaded up all the caches, drove miles to collect my sister and eventually got to the the car park. Upon arrival i find out that my gps is totally dead, I went to the local shop and bought more batteries in the hope that it was the batteries at fault. However it wasn't the problem. I have arrived home minus any caches but with a foul mood. My gps unit is totally dead. No amount of playing with settings, batteries or any other thing i can think of will get my unit working. Does any one have any knowledge that may help me to at least get the unit turned on and talking to the PC? totally gutted as i had a big day caching planned and was hoping to get back into it. I could understand if my unit worked its butt off but tbh it gets used for approx 6 hours a year :(. Any help greatly received and appreciated.. my email is tracy.measuring@yahoo.co.uk (don't get on the pc often but check my emails on my mobile all the time)

Hi

A few things to check - obvious I know but sometimes in a rush you can forget the obvious :rolleyes:

Make sure the batteries are in the right way round. The power button needs to be pressed and held for a few moments then released. Finally have you connected it to your PC with a USB cable? If not, do so and then press the power button. The GC will use USB power as well as batteries.

If all this fails, it does look like either the power button has broken or there is a more serious fault internally. Suggest you contact Magellan Europe support.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

Hi :). Thanks for the reply. I have tried all of the above and even asked it nicely :( . Totally gutted that its just died, it was fine after loaded and set off. it just flatly refuses to turn on. tried the master reset button and still nada.I shall email the address above ( think I did that yesterday but will do it again). I could understand if this unit had a hard life but its had around 6 - 10 hours use in 2 years and is like new and was always hung up or was around my neck . Thanks again for taking the time to reply :)

Hi guys, after having a cool 100 new caches go live at my most favourite walking place yesterday. I dusted down my Magellan and loaded up all the caches, drove miles to collect my sister and eventually got to the the car park. Upon arrival i find out that my gps is totally dead, I went to the local shop and bought more batteries in the hope that it was the batteries at fault. However it wasn't the problem. I have arrived home minus any caches but with a foul mood. My gps unit is totally dead. No amount of playing with settings, batteries or any other thing i can think of will get my unit working. Does any one have any knowledge that may help me to at least get the unit turned on and talking to the PC? totally gutted as i had a big day caching planned and was hoping to get back into it. I could understand if my unit worked its butt off but tbh it gets used for approx 6 hours a year :(. Any help greatly received and appreciated.. my email is tracy.measuring@yahoo.co.uk (don't get on the pc often but check my emails on my mobile all the time)

my explorist gc has done exacly the same!!!!!! only goes as far as the magellan logo and stops there, same as you the unit has onlyu found about 30 caches so not overworked

This sounds a little worrying. I had a similar issue when my batteries died - I put new ones in, and nothing, the GPS wouldn't start. Admitedly, I'm not sure how drained they were, but there must have been at least a bit of energy left in them, as they work well in a remote controler. When I recharged the batteries I normally use, the unit started up ok though...