He is a TROLL! Right? Worst Cache Ever!

We actually looked for one of these Sterling caches while on a small vacation in Springfield, MO. We searched for a good 20 minutes or more and never found it. After coming home, I researched it a little bit and come to find out, the cache was an old DVD stuffed down into the crack of the sidewalk...hence the name of the cache, "redbox," as in the Red Box kiosks where you rent DVD's. Like the water bottle, cachers have to use a tool of some kind to scratch their usernames onto the DVD, which also doubled as the "log." When I discovered what these CO's use as caches, and saw how many they have and that some people seemed to like them, the first thing that came to mind was that cachers in the Springfield, MO area sure do have a unique sense of what a good cache is. In a way, I'm glad we didn't find it because I wouldn't have been too happy attempting to scratch our username into the DVD with a car key, which was probably the only thing we had on us that would've come close to working. Personally I don't think these caches follow the guidelines for a proper container/log.

I guess if a cache requires a container and a log, the water bottle cache just needs a plastic bag. That way the cache has a container (the plastic bag) and a log (the water bottle).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B)

[Edited to add another "O" and two more exclamation points]

Edited by knowschad

I guess if a cache requires a container and a log, the water bottle cache just needs a plastic bag. That way the cache has a container (the plastic bag) and a log (the water bottle).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B)

[Edited to add another "O" and two more exclamation points]

It just goes to show the folly of this guideline. It certainly does nothing to prevent trash caches. All it prevents are are some clever opportunities for hidden in plain site caches that might require figuring out what sort of logging method the cache owner intended.

Until a Groundspeak representative explains the rationale for the container and log guideline, I can only speculate. Certainly there were caches that required defacing property (graffiti or carving initials in a tree) but there is another guideline for this.

The only thing that comes to mind is that maybe they didn't want a cache owner to delete a log because someone didn't sticker the container or scratch their name on the plastic bottle or write on the back of a magnetic sheet. They let caches owners delete logs because the paper log wasn't signed but are are worried that someone will complain when they couldn't find a paper log :mellow:

The freedom to be creative in own design, container, hide, size, camo, shape, type,

is what I thinks normally adds alot of fun to this hobby,

Ammo boxes are great, but if all caches where ammo type, same colour and that,

it will not be fun anymore..

The unexpected is what drives many.

but when creative, means TOO much, and it ends up beeing directly silly,

a few caches out there falls into the "silly" category,

I think we all tried to find a few of them.

what is BAD in this case, is a CO create a few videos

with his sometimes good ideas and sometimes bad ideas,

and puplish it to the world, alot of people out there do not have the experiance

to see what it smart and what is not, and what makes geocaching looks bad..

I dont like the idea to be called a geocacher by mugglers

who thinks I seek trash with scratched in marking geocache, and maybe they think I take a needle

and add my name to the trash and throw it back into the nature...

The freedom to be creative in own design, container, hide, size, camo, shape, type,

is what I thinks normally adds alot of fun to this hobby,

Ammo boxes are great, but if all caches where ammo type, same colour and that,

it will not be fun anymore..

The unexpected is what drives many.

but when creative, means TOO much, and it ends up beeing directly silly,

a few caches out there falls into the "silly" category,

I think we all tried to find a few of them.

what is BAD in this case, is a CO create a few videos

with his sometimes good ideas and sometimes bad ideas,

and puplish it to the world, alot of people out there do not have the experiance

to see what it smart and what is not, and what makes geocaching looks bad..

I dont like the idea to be called a geocacher by mugglers

who thinks I seek trash with scratched in marking geocache, and maybe they think I take a needle

and add my name to the trash and throw it back into the nature...

Now, there is a poem that I can agree with. :)

I figured since those are my videos I should add something.

Honestly I surprised by the amount of distress caused by the waterbottle cache.

I suppose it would fall into the category of “trash caches”.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, this is an honest question:

This crumpled up water bottle, thrown on the ground cache you've shown on Youtube isn't a joke/spoof?

I figured since those are my videos I should add something.

Honestly I surprised by the amount of distress caused by the waterbottle cache.

I suppose it would fall into the category of "trash caches".

I'm not trying to be a jerk, this is an honest question:

This crumpled up water bottle, thrown on the ground cache you've shown on Youtube isn't a joke/spoof?

Apparently not

I don't see a leaf sandwich comment.

Hope you find geocaches better than statements on the forums.

As someone who seldom hides "normal" caches, I can understand many of the container choices. Although some of them might not be the best ideas, new/unique ideas are hard to come by these days and I appreciate the effort. I have found several of the CO's caches and have looked at many more, and may get to some of them someday. In that area, there is a nice sized group that I have noticed from afar likes to create difficult hides to stump their friends. There are many in the springfield/branson up to columbia area that have VERY few finds. Those are the ones I target in my travels. I've enjoyed all the CO's caches, but to be honest, I haven't found, or looked for any of the examples shown. One of the key points to note, is that if you use containers that have a greater than normal chance to get muggled or ruined, they can be fine if they get more attention (i.e. maint) from the owner. I haven't looked to see if the CO in the examples does, but I do know that knowschad was correct with his statement that the CO is well respected. He is also a charter member and still active and answered every private email about his caches that I have sent (and no, I don't know or have ever met him, just an area I travel to from time to time)

The "leaf sandwich" comment was mine. I have a cache out now, and had another years ago, that used real dried leaf matter as camo, but mine was completely glued to the container, then covered with several layers of matte clear finish. I just didn't (and still don't) see how fragile dried leaves glued on like in the video can really withstand handling, given my own experience using leaves in a somewhat similar manner.

I would hardly class peanut butter jars with those other "trash containers" that were referred to (altoid cans, ice cream buckets, peanut butter jars, coffee cans, and a host of other food related containers.) Peanut butter jars make excellent containers. I have found literally thousands of them. I agree wholeheartedly that the others generally make lousy containers (although any container will work in the right circumstances).

Anyway, glad you showed up, SterlingConnie. And thanks for trying to come up with original ideas, even if a few of them hit the fan. It happens.

Seriously, peanut butter jars make excellent containers, and to top it off you've found them by the thousands?

Get real!!!

Since when have non-waterproof containers that have permanently absorbed food odors that attract animals/bugs start making excellent containers?

I've came across my share of bad containers/placements throughout the years, and that got me to thinking........Something must be done to help to put and end to this madness!

That's when I came up with my idea. Go out and duplicate some of this nonsense I've stumbled across in my past, and use them as examples as how not to hide/place a geocache.

I guess I'll call it dumb luck, but for one of my examples I actually used a plastic peanut butter jar.

I've encountered enough of these “excellent” containers to know how well they hold up.

I'll put a link here to that cache. Please take a moment to read a few of the logs.

This cache has been active for nearly 1.5yrs now.

Excellent containers, really?

Cachetastrophe: Trashtastrophe - Hider Edition

I would hardly class peanut butter jars with those other "trash containers" that were referred to (altoid cans, ice cream buckets, peanut butter jars, coffee cans, and a host of other food related containers.) Peanut butter jars make excellent containers. I have found literally thousands of them.

Seriously, peanut butter jars make excellent containers, and to top it off you've found them by the thousands?

Get real!!!

Since when have non-waterproof containers that have permanently absorbed food odors that attract animals/bugs start making excellent containers?

I've came across my share of bad containers/placements throughout the years, and that got me to thinking........Something must be done to help to put and end to this madness!

That's when I came up with my idea. Go out and duplicate some of this nonsense I've stumbled across in my past, and use them as examples as how not to hide/place a geocache.

I guess I'll call it dumb luck, but for one of my examples I actually used a plastic peanut butter jar.

I've encountered enough of these “excellent” containers to know how well they hold up.

I'll put a link here to that cache. Please take a moment to read a few of the logs.

I've found hundreds of cache containers that once were plastic peanut butter jars. While I'm not sure I'd call them "excellent," they seem to hold up far better than average. I'm usually pleased when I see "peanut butter jar" in the cache description.

Of course, it helps if the cache owners wash them thoroughly, perhaps even with bleach. I noticed this in your description of your peanut butter jar cache:

For my setup here, I've chosen a food-type container.

For your enjoyment, I've left a tiny bit of residue in it too.

As someone who seldom hides "normal" caches, I can understand many of the container choices. Although some of them might not be the best ideas, new/unique ideas are hard to come by these days and I appreciate the effort. I have found several of the CO's caches and have looked at many more, and may get to some of them someday. In that area, there is a nice sized group that I have noticed from afar likes to create difficult hides to stump their friends. There are many in the springfield/branson up to columbia area that have VERY few finds. Those are the ones I target in my travels. I've enjoyed all the CO's caches, but to be honest, I haven't found, or looked for any of the examples shown. One of the key points to note, is that if you use containers that have a greater than normal chance to get muggled or ruined, they can be fine if they get more attention (i.e. maint) from the owner. I haven't looked to see if the CO in the examples does, but I do know that knowschad was correct with his statement that the CO is well respected. He is also a charter member and still active and answered every private email about his caches that I have sent (and no, I don't know or have ever met him, just an area I travel to from time to time)

The "leaf sandwich" comment was mine. I have a cache out now, and had another years ago, that used real dried leaf matter as camo, but mine was completely glued to the container, then covered with several layers of matte clear finish. I just didn't (and still don't) see how fragile dried leaves glued on like in the video can really withstand handling, given my own experience using leaves in a somewhat similar manner.

I would hardly class peanut butter jars with those other "trash containers" that were referred to (altoid cans, ice cream buckets, peanut butter jars, coffee cans, and a host of other food related containers.) Peanut butter jars make excellent containers. I have found literally thousands of them. I agree wholeheartedly that the others generally make lousy containers (although any container will work in the right circumstances).

Anyway, glad you showed up, SterlingConnie. And thanks for trying to come up with original ideas, even if a few of them hit the fan. It happens.

Get real!!!

I've encountered enough of these "excellent" containers to know how well they hold up.

Yes, I was serious. And yes, thousands. Of course that's a guess, but not hyperbole. I would say that peanut butter jars are the most common cache container around here that is bigger than a nano, and I can only recall ONE that was chewed up badly enough to cause problems. I would not be surprised that 1/5 of my finds have been peanut butter jars, but who's counting. The point is that they do make good containers.

I think that you are sounding a bit agressive with me... please note that I was the one that said that I was uncomfortable discussing this without you being present, and also the one that pointed out that you seemed to be a respected hider in your neck of the woods. Please relax... I am not the enemy. I merely expressed some opinions and personal experiences, OK?

Get real!!!

I've encountered enough of these "excellent" containers to know how well they hold up.

Yes, I was serious. And yes, thousands. Of course that's a guess, but not hyperbole. I would say that peanut butter jars are the most common cache container around here that is bigger than a nano, and I can only recall ONE that was chewed up badly enough to cause problems. I would not be surprised that 1/5 of my finds have been peanut butter jars, but who's counting. The point is that they do make good containers.

I think that you are sounding a bit agressive with me... please note that I was the one that said that I was uncomfortable discussing this without you being present, and also the one that pointed out that you seemed to be a respected hider in your neck of the woods. Please relax... I am not the enemy. I merely expressed some opinions and personal experiences, OK?

Sounding aggressive wasn't my intent. I know that sometimes comments in any forum that were intended to mean one thing can come across to sound like another, or the reader misinterprets them. It happens.

I'll part this thread in peace, shaking hands with all contributors, albeit some may be covered in peanut butter, altoid dust, or even margarine.

I have found quite a few peanut butter jars used for caches. So far every one of the ones I have found have been clean and dry. They seem to be an acceptable container around here.

The point is they do need to be cleaned. If I found any container with a little bit of residue left inside, I would not be looking for any more of that CO's hides. :blink:

Reading your cache page, I'm glad you are 1600 miles from me, or I would have to put your caches on ignore. Sounds like you may be part of the problem you complain about.

>Sounds like you may be part of the problem you complain about.

some times Over exaggerating is a good way to state your point..

some times your point can only be understood, if you show the opposite of what good cause is..

we all know that, and yes it can be funny.

BUT, in this case, to make a cache intentionally gross, and VERY bad..

is not a good way, if you ask many of us,

just so you know, I would have posted NM logs and contacted local reviewers

to disable or archive if you did not fix its content to be at least logable...

Edited by OZ2CPU