Icon Artwork on Maps?

I recently saw the following area discussed on a local Facebook group and thought this was just the neatest thing. I'm not sure I could ever be so creative or have the time to put in the effort.

10x4xw8.jpg

at http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=42.894167&lng=-116.099833

I thought this little sample of cache icon artwork was pretty cool. Has anyone seen any others like this?

Wow! I've never seen that one, and it is by far the most elaborate that I can remember seeing, but do a forum search for "geoart" for more examples.

Yeah, and drop it into satellite view and checkout the terrain.

The terrain looks pretty forgiving.

The space we used is all bush. No one has done all 41 caches in one day yet.

Wow! I've never seen that one, and it is by far the most elaborate that I can remember seeing, but do a forum search for "geoart" for more examples.

WOW indeed. I can't believe they pulled that off with traditional and multi caches. Most large art I have seen are unknown, so that the physical container does not have to be at the art spot.

WOW indeed. I can't believe they pulled that off with traditional and multi caches. Most large art I have seen are unknown, so that the physical container does not have to be at the art spot.

Looks like that were able to put some blue on the map using letterbox caches.

1000 caches in the Railroad geoart (most still have not yet been found). 700 more on the nearby trail and several other smaller "series" nearby. woopee.

Physical caches are pretty tough depending on the terrain. It looks like they where lucky with a nice area with no lakes or swamps. We had to do a couple unknown caches because the required cords put the cache in water or swamp.

We usually don't bother playing on the forums but someone pointed this thread out. Thanks for the kind words and noticing. We worked closely with the BLM to place this art and it was a few months in the planning. A lot of that was deciding where the art could be placed and what size would allow enough detail to be recognizable. Working with the BLM allowed us to get direct input on where boundaries were and make sure we were off private property and out of sensitive areas. We went to the area and reviewed it before deciding to place caches. As someone mentioned the terrain is fairly forgiving but not always. There are several spots where you are going to have to climb a half way up a hill to get a cache. About 50 percent of the caches are accessible by motorized vehicle, another 20 percent are about 100 to 500 feet of motorized vehicle access and the rest are walkers well outside of 500 feet from vehicle access. We placed this art (The General)- http://coord.info/GC3FA3B and the Owyhee Uplands Byway trail - http://coord.info/GC3JQ03 and released them as part of the Locomotion event on the 28th. 2012 released during the two weeks up to and including the day of the event (1000 of them (the geoart) released the night of the event. If you include everything that went into preparing containers, the art, the trail, reviwer time, etc, etc, etc, about 2500 man hours from ouver 30 people went into the trail ,the art and the event. Here is a good satellite overlay of the art, the image we prefer since it shows the use of cache types to create color art.

cfb52101-de42-4da9-bbeb-8505119b7cfe.jpg?rnd=0.04985774

Those of us who geocache in Idaho have a seemingly endless list of of caches to find put out by this crew, League of ID Cachers. I've done some of their caches, and plan to start on their Thunderbird this weekend. For FTF hounds, the locomotive has a lot to go after still. They do a great job!